Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:15 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times

Advertisements

You can watch the hearings while they are watching you watch them. That is just symmetry.

They, whoever they is, can watch all they want. I will still do and say whatever pleases me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 12:22 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,667,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Yes. Here is simple explanation. I am not even sure why SSL was specifically mentioned. I would guess because of its common internet application. It is basically encrypted key pair authentication.
What Is SSL (Secure Sockets Layer)?
Simple answer is the significance is great because you basically render common encryption pointless.

I went and looked. I assume he is also alluding to the idea that they got access to data using SSL. So did they have keys or not?
Thanks for the explanations HappyTexan and CDusr!

I don't know, but I did read that de-encryption is going to be one of the major tasks at the new gigantic 1.7 billion NSA data center that is close to completion in Utah.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,872,162 times
Like Space Shuttle booster rockets another boondoggle for Utah. Talk about government welfare.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,667,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

That's even worse as banking has their own additional secure network called SWIFT.
If the NSA got into SWIFT there will be global outrage ..real global outrage.
I would say that bank records and health records are the most sensitive records for most people....and of course one is pretty well 100 % electronic and health records are getting there.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:38 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,946,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Thanks for the explanations HappyTexan and CDusr!

I don't know, but I did read that de-encryption is going to be one of the major tasks at the new gigantic 1.7 billion NSA data center that is close to completion in Utah.
With that kind of processing power you can bet it will be used for that. Encryption is a thorn. However, best practices are not all that great so you can bet that much is readily available w/o it.
Plenty of data goes flying and is stored with no encryption whatsoever.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
If you are a techie or are computer literate this is a very good article with theories of how they may be doing what they are doing.

PRISM: Here's how the NSA wiretapped the Internet | Page 2 | ZDNet

Old 06-18-2013, 12:42 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,313,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
With that kind of processing power you can bet it will be used for that. Encryption is a thorn. However, best practices are not all that great so you can bet that much is readily available w/o it.
Plenty of data goes flying and is stored with no encryption whatsoever.
That's the thing. Using a high bit PGP type encryption algorithm thwarts the NSA. The FAQ clearly indicates that if the NSA knows about it, that means academia knew about it before they did.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,313,302 times
Q: Can the NSA crack PGP (or RSA, DSS, IDEA, 3DES,...)? A: This question has been asked many times. If the NSA were able to crack RSA or any of the other well known cryptographic algorithms, you would probably never hear about it from them. Now that RSA and the other algorithms are very widely used, it would be a very closely guarded secret.
The best defense against this is the fact the algorithms are known worldwide. There are many competent mathematicians and cryptographers outside the NSA and there is much research being done in the field right now. If any of them were to discover a hole in one of the algorithms, I'm sure that we would hear about it from them via a paper in one of the cryptography conferences.
For this reason, when you read messages saying that "someone told them" that the NSA is able to break PGP, take it with a grain of salt and ask for some documentation on exactly where the information is coming from. In particular, the story called NSA Can Break PGP Encryption is a joke.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,946,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
You can watch the hearings while they are watching you watch them. That is just symmetry.

They, whoever they is, can watch all they want. I will still do and say whatever pleases me.
Here sums it up nicely.
We know that you know that we know that you know. LOL.
Photos from Bilderberg 2013 Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on ...

Old 06-18-2013, 12:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,619,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Q: Can the NSA crack PGP (or RSA, DSS, IDEA, 3DES,...)? A: This question has been asked many times. If the NSA were able to crack RSA or any of the other well known cryptographic algorithms, you would probably never hear about it from them. Now that RSA and the other algorithms are very widely used, it would be a very closely guarded secret.
The best defense against this is the fact the algorithms are known worldwide. There are many competent mathematicians and cryptographers outside the NSA and there is much research being done in the field right now. If any of them were to discover a hole in one of the algorithms, I'm sure that we would hear about it from them via a paper in one of the cryptography conferences.
For this reason, when you read messages saying that "someone told them" that the NSA is able to break PGP, take it with a grain of salt and ask for some documentation on exactly where the information is coming from. In particular, the story called NSA Can Break PGP Encryption is a joke.
Many believe the NSA got the private keys via warrant/court order from the companies.

So far to date only 8 of the 1024 bit keys have been cracked.

But we now have Titan which is able to perform 17.5 petaflops ...17.5 quadrillion floating point operations per second and can be pushed to 27 petaflops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies