Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:51 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,095,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
How did you connect those dots? Those words are out of your mind-set. If you give no examples of those words being used by "they"...then those words are yours. Your words-your thinking.
Extrapolation and critical thinking. You are very far left, the vast majority of your ilk claim that crime is due to poverty. Well then you are saying that poor people have no self control and MUST resort to crime; i.e barbaric savages without self control. If you believe this you are bigoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Way back in 1984, George Gilder - no liberal, he - pointed out that the known variable with the greatest correlation to crime is not poverty, not race...but the prevalence of young single males in an area. I think crime is driven largely by young single males who are neither employed nor in school - the underclass - but I don't know if that has ever been tracked specifically.
Exactly right.

It's like the old saying -- idle minds are the devil's workshop.

Young single males need to be working, doing something with themselves. It doesn't matter if they're rich, middle-class or poor, single young males should not lay around doing nothing.

If they have nothing to do, at best they'll become addicted to video games that someone buys for them, but often they become addicted to drugs. If they come from big money like a Kennedy, they just squander their inheritances on drugs. If they don't come from big money, they'll resort to crime. A middle class type might resort to embezzlement from an employer once the need for drugs surpasses their income.

I would suspect at least 90% of the crimes committed have to do with drug addiction. The government seems to just want to look the way while foreign powers import tons of drugs every day and distribute them to every US city, town and rural place.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
There's only one difference between a poor thief and a rich thief, a poor thief sometimes uses a weapon to commit a crime, the rich person doesn't need a weapon because they know how to use the American legal system to their advantage.
What does that have to do with the thread topic?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:54 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
The constant refrain from the left is that high crime areas are that way because of rampant poverty. But if you flesh that idea out, they're basically saying that poor people are barbaric savages that have no self control. The thing is, back in the day poor people had respect and didn't resort to crime. To say that poor people are criminals because they're poor is very disrespectful and bigoted. Discuss.
Nu-Konserves revel in their ability to embarrass themselves in public forums.
You guys should be proud in your part of making us like Mexico or Iraq instead of Sweden or France or other civilized country.
Shoot for the stars, billie bob

Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Extrapolation and critical thinking. You are very far left, the vast majority of your ilk claim that crime is due to poverty. Well then you are saying that poor people have no self control and MUST resort to crime; i.e barbaric savages without self control. If you believe this you are bigoted.
What the liberals are really doing is trying to justify more government power -- a government so powerful that it can confiscate whatever portion of your wages and other income to buy the votes that keep it in power in what has become a fake democracy.

The middle class is threatened constantly that they must cough up more and more of their salaries because more welfare handouts will stop crime. There of course is no evidence at all that crime is reduced by having all kinds of welfare handouts but they've got people afraid that if we let people be poor, they'll riot or something, maybe leave the inner cities and go rob the suburbs.

The working poor can actually be victims -- not the criminals.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,939,644 times
Quote:
Bingo!. I'm actually watching Kitt Kitridge with my daughter and it gave me the idea for this thread. They were dirt poor, but they still knew right from wrong. I know many people that are like this in real life, but the left wants us to believe that they can't help themselves.
That's like saying I wish America was more like it was in "Leave it to Beaver". Beaver never did anything wrong and June wasn't an alcoholic pill popper single mom on welfare.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Most crime is out of necessity, or at least perceived necessity. It only makes sense that poor people will commit those crimes more.
Most crime is done out of necessity? I think that is ridiculous. Criminals sell crack because they need money for food? Criminals steal cars out of necessity? Gangs kill each other to put a roof over their heads?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Nu-Konserves revel in their ability to embarrass themselves in public forums.
You guys should be proud in your part of making us like Mexico or Iraq instead of Sweden or France or other civilized country.
Shoot for the stars, billie bob
What does your post even mean? It has nothing to do with the topic and is completely against the TOS.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Almost never do you hear or read of someone stealing a loaf of bread or a hamburger.

They're after big cash wherever they can get it, they're stealing for their next drug high -- meth addicts who were once good people start stealing anything you left out in your yard so they can get their next fix.

Someone brought up Mexico -- but even the very poorest regions of Mexico are very safe. Poor people there don't come up to you and clunk you over the head so they can steal your money for food. They're far more likely to invite you in and offer you their food. It's the drug addicts and drug users you need to avoid.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
That's like saying I wish America was more like it was in "Leave it to Beaver". Beaver never did anything wrong and June wasn't an alcoholic pill popper single mom on welfare.
What are you talking about? Again, I know people who grew up dirt poor during the Depression; family members. They didn't resort to crime, they had respect for themselves and others. You were taught a lie and perpetuate said lie. The thing is, the lie is bigoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies