Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 12:32 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
"progressives" liberals, and democrats all despise the poor.
No, I disagree with this 100%. They love to use them as pawns for their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I am sorry. I should not have said that. many progressives rely on "slave wages" to mow their grass.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:33 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Quote:
I agree 100%, but that's not the narrative of the left. They claim that crime exists because of poverty; hence the redistribution narrative.
Some people consider me a part of the left though...

Old 06-08-2013, 12:38 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,897,557 times
The thing isn't so much they are poor but lack of morals. Way too many poor in the ghettos come from single parent households where dad isn't around and maybe mom isn't either or is into drugs. This is the thing many leftists don't want to talk about because they keep asserting that having a dad isn't big deal or that being on welfare is fine. None of it is fine and these types of poor people are growing.

I've worked with kids and there is a BIG difference between kids raised in a two parent house versus one where dad isn't around.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:38 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,386,280 times
Quote:
Necessary weevil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVwjYptcnAY

Old 06-08-2013, 12:39 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Way back in 1984, George Gilder - no liberal, he - pointed out that the known variable with the greatest correlation to crime is not poverty, not race...but the prevalence of young single males in an area. I think crime is driven largely by young single males who are neither employed nor in school - the underclass - but I don't know if that has ever been tracked specifically.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:40 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,103,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Some people consider me a part of the left though...
Well, there are exceptions to everything. Do you deny that most on the left claim that most crime is due to poverty?

Old 06-08-2013, 12:43 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Quote:
The constant refrain from the left is that high crime areas are that way because of rampant poverty. But if you flesh that idea out, they're basically saying that poor people are barbaric savages that have no self control. The thing is, back in the day poor people had respect and didn't resort to crime. To say that poor people are criminals because they're poor is very disrespectful and bigoted. Discuss.

How did you connect those dots? Those words are out of your mind-set. If you give no examples of those words being used by "they"...then those words are yours. Your words-your thinking.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:49 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,245,092 times
There's only one difference between a poor thief and a rich thief, a poor thief sometimes uses a weapon to commit a crime, the rich person doesn't need a weapon because they know how to use the American legal system to their advantage.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Bingo!. I'm actually watching Kitt Kitridge with my daughter and it gave me the idea for this thread. They were dirt poor, but they still knew right from wrong. I know many people that are like this in real life, but the left wants us to believe that they can't help themselves.

I don't know who the Kittredges are/were, but I presume they were married. It's not intact families driving crime, it's pretty much single men (although women are definitely making "gains" in this area). George Gilder - yeah, his early writings reek of sexism - saw unattached young men pretty much as uncivilized brutes with a subculture that reinforces their thuggery, whereas marriage and attachment to a woman has a socializing and civilizing effect on these men and largely removes them from that antisocial subculture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies