Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be legal to name children after evil people (such as Adolph Hitler) ?
Absolutely... First Amendment Constitutional rights! 28 84.85%
NO, it is bad for the children and horrible. 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombocom View Post
Well, I don't think the New Jersey Superior Court is taking your opinion into consideration. The basis for the removal of the children was domestic violence, not the names of the children.
Please, do not be so naive. Do you really believe it was because of domestic violence? If that were the case, MILLIONS of children all across this country would be "taken away." Domestic violence, drug use/abuse, alcohol abuse is so rampant in families with children, it is physically impossible to take custody of all these children.

And, like it or not, a simple, basic case of "domestic violence" wouldn't warrant taking these kids into protective custody. It was done on the outrage of the population when this story broke umpteen months ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:34 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Please, do not be so naive. Do you really believe it was because of domestic violence? If that were the case, MILLIONS of children all across this country would be "taken away." Domestic violence, drug use/abuse, alcohol abuse is so rampant in families with children, it is physically impossible to take custody of all these children.

And, like it or not, a simple, basic case of "domestic violence" wouldn't warrant taking these kids into protective custody. It was done on the outrage of the population when this story broke umpteen months ago.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So if I pore through your link, somewhere it will tell me what acceptable names are for children?
Let's recap (since you seem to have become confused at some point): You asked "who determines what is abusive and neglectful," and others responded that the legal system does. Nobody said it specifically declares stupid names as abusive/neglectful, they said the courts DECIDE what is or is not. Pretty sure this couples' kids weren't taken for his name, as it has already been stated.

And I voted that yes, parents should be allowed to name their kids whatever they want. Is it stupid and worrisome that they named him Adolf Hitler? Of course. But somebody might say the same about "Rainbow" or "Yitzhak," and I don't want us going down that road. Btw, in Iceland you have to choose from a database of some 3500 names - no other names will be approved or legal. Check it out: Icelandic teen named

Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONTVisit View Post
New Jersey couple have named their child for "Adolph Hitler" and have had the children taken away from them because of their name. This all started when a store refused to write down the name of the son on a birthday cake. As much as many of us may disagree with the parents and feel bad for the children, they have full rights to name their children whatever they want without fear of having children taken away from them because of that. What happened to First Amendment Freedom of Speech?

So this mean that Westboro kids who are innocent should be taken away from the parents too?

Heath Campbell: White supremacist turns up at court in full Nazi regalia to fight for custody of his children ¿ one whom he named Adolf | Mail Online
Hey why not, how about Osama's and I wonder how many Hussain Obama's will pop up.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:

And I voted that yes, parents should be allowed to name their kids whatever
they want. Is it stupid and worrisome that they named him Adolf Hitler? Of
course. But somebody might say the same about "Rainbow" or "Yitzhak,"
and I don't want us going down that road.
What's wrong with "Yitzhak"? It's Hebrew for Isaac.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Hey why not, how about Osama's and I wonder how many Hussain Obama's will pop up.
Whatever floats their boats, I guess. Having lived and worked in VERY diverse neighborhoods over the years, I cannot even begin to tell you the amusing/unique/etc names I've encountered! Vietnamese and Indian names in particular don't always "translate" well in the US.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What's wrong with "Yitzhak"? It's Hebrew for Isaac.
Honestly, it was just a random name that popped into my head... and I'm Jewish, so I know what it means.

But after I typed it, that actually seemed like a good choice - since there were obviously people who didn't think too highly of Yitzhak Rabin. So I'll amend that by asking, what if somebody had a problem with me naming my child Yitzhak Rabin? Or even Hussein Obama, as eRay mentioned above?

Old 06-06-2013, 08:01 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
There are many people in my part of the country who name their children "Adolfo" which of course means the same thing as Adolf. Are they going to be included in this removal of their children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies