Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 05:08 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,157,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
10 to 1 they get away with it and nothing more than a hand slap and public berating.

This administration has already gotten away with other issues and this will be no different.

The average American is a sheep. They're too busy watching American idol, Jersey shore, Teen mom to care what's going on. Besides gay marriage, Americans don't seem to be engaged in what's going on around them. Rome is burning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 05:21 PM

7,526 posts, read 5,768,086 times
Anchorage Daily News : Unalaska police blotter

This President has got to go. It's that simple.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:31 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,206,044 times
Man the warriors beat the Spurs. This is Obama fault.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:34 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,770,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Republicans still want to know why it is okay to profile black peopel
What is a "black peopel" and why would you profile them?

Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,795,846 times
President Richard Nixon was impeached for making the IRS go after his political opponents.

(cue the liberals whiners who will point out Nixon wasn't actually impeached... since he got out of town just ahead of the posse.)

Article 2 of the Articles of Impeachment against Nixon, describes his using the IRS to investigate and intimidate his political opponents. The articles were passed by the House Judiciary Committee on July 27, 1974. Nixon resigned two weeks later.

But today, when Obama does the same thing, all the IRS has to do is say "Oops, I'm sorry", and that makes it all better.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:39 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,770,934 times
Default Teaching the constitution makes you a subversive

Maybe not a subversive, but at least worthy of a tax audit. I guess if the government does not want the citizens to know what's in the constitution, they can use strong arm tax audits to shut down efforts to educate people.

IRS targeted groups that criticized the government, IG report says

By Juliet Eilperin, Published: May 12, 2013 at 2:30 pmE-mail reporter

At various points over the past two years, Internal Revenue Service officials targeted nonprofit groups that criticized the government and sought to educate Americans about the U.S. Constitution, according to documents in an audit conducted by the agency’s inspector general.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:43 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,428,837 times
Should the IRS come to be seen as just a bunch of enforcers for whoever is in political power, the result would be an enormous loss of legitimacy for the tax system.

6 times IRS has been accused of punishing Obama's opponents | Washington Free Beacon

Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,216,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Obviously it is allowed so your post is a fail.

Types of Tax-Exempt Organizations

Maybe these should be disputed.
Life Cycle of a Labor Organization

Life Cycle of a Social Welfare Organization
Sorry, but you're wrong.

There are lots of different types of non-profit, or tax-exempt, organizations, and they all have different designations by the IRS, with different rules regarding activities, income, taxes etc. A 501(c)3 tax exempt organization is a very specific type of non-profit agency. In exchange for paying zero taxes, and allowing contributors to deduct their charitable giving to those groups, they HAVE to restrict their activities to religious, educational, charitable, literary and scientific activities. Labor unions have a different designation and rules about taxes and income, as do PACS, which are another type of non-profit. For instance, donors can't deduct their gifts to a PAC. You also can't do significant lobbying, or support political activities and campaigns or candidates if you're a 501(c)3--you can't have a candidate come speak at an event unless you have his opponent come as well, and even then you can't show in any way that you support one over another. You can't endorse a candidate, give money, or organize your members to do volunteer campaign work. You can't promote candidates or even a specific political party on your website or in any kind of materials or speeches. That's why people have been making big stinks about churches (which are also 501(c)3's endorsing political candidates.
501(c) organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I still want to know why a tea party group would apply for a 501(c)3 designation? I'd flag their application too--they are political groups who support specific candidates by their very nature. 501(c)3 groups can't do that kind of work. I used to run non-profit agencies, and I'm very familiar with the rules--the IRS is VERY strict about this.
Limits on Political Campaigning for 501(c)(3) Nonprofits | Nolo.com

Old 05-12-2013, 05:48 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,206,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What is a "black peopel" and why would you profile them?
Couldn't answer me so pick at a mistake. I bet you feel useful to this world now.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:49 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong.

There are lots of different types of non-profit, or tax-exempt, organizations, and they all have different designations by the IRS, with different rules regarding activities, income, taxes etc. A 501(c)3 tax exempt organization is a very specific type of non-profit agency. In exchange for paying zero taxes, and allowing contributors to deduct their charitable giving to those groups, they HAVE to restrict their activities to religious, educational, charitable, literary and scientific activities. Labor unions have a different designation and rules about taxes and income, as do PACS, which are another type of non-profit. For instance, donors can't deduct their gifts to a PAC. You also can't do significant lobbying, or support political activities and campaigns or candidates if you're a 501(c)3--you can't have a candidate come speak at an event unless you have his opponent come as well, you can't endorse a candidate, give money, or organize your members to do volunteer campaign work. You can't promote candidates or even a specific political party on your website or in any kind of materials or speeches. That's why people have been making big stinks about churches (which are also 501(c)3's endorsing political candidates.
501(c) organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I still want to know why a tea party group would apply for a 501(c)3 designation? I'd flag their application too--they are political groups who support specific candidates by their very nature. 501(c)3 groups can't do that kind of work. I used to run non-profit agencies, and I'm very familiar with the rules--the IRS is VERY strict about this.
Limits on Political Campaigning for 501(c)(3) Nonprofits | Nolo.com
Same said about Media Matters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies