Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 06:12 PM

7,618 posts, read 5,868,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
More likely there's a village that banished the idiot for being an idiot.

A savant usually has one exceptional talent.
He lies pretty well.. Does that count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM

79,911 posts, read 44,696,295 times
It's now up to 5 offices that targeted groups that were counter to Obama's policies. It seems to be a pretty big coincidence that all 5 would have "rogue" employee's all with the same idea.

As The Daily Caller has reported, at least five different IRS offices including Cincinnati, Ohio; Baltimore, Maryland; Chicago, Illinois and El Monte and Laguna Niguel, California improperly targeted conservative nonprofit groups for extra scrutiny between 2010 and 2012.

Read more: Washington launches four investigations into IRS scandal | The Daily Caller

Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 AM

30,551 posts, read 19,077,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Still griping over democracy when it doesn't go your way.

Intimidate?

Wow, that's a weird notion: "The IRS so intimidated my billionaire ass with the prospect of an audit that I was a wee bit nervous about spending even more of the record spending against Obama that I wanted to, to buy the election with propaganda."

Hey, you know what? I've been audited. I brought the supporting documents and they said "Okay". Any legitimate individual, business or organization should be able to do the same. The notion that billionaires, with their teams of lawyers and lobbyists were "intimidated," is preposterous -- but indicative of the right-wing mind, that is inclined to invent outlandish theories to explain what is obvious. The people didn't want Romney to be president.

So you are saying that it is "okay" for the government to target citizens with IRS audits for thier political beliefs and that it is "no big deal"? I am sure that if you were audited, it was not for your political beliefs, but for a "red flag" on your return. The government should not be in the business of persecuting citizens they are sworn to SERVE.

Liberals truely are fascists.

PS- I have never been audited. Why? I take very few deductions, "overpay" my taxes up front, and have a clean return with no funny business. I guess, as citizens, we should pay the taxes that we owe. I find it interesting that all these libs calling for more taxes in the Obama government are tax cheats who tried to avoid all the taxes they could!

Old 05-28-2013, 07:18 AM

22,979 posts, read 27,229,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So you are saying that it is "okay" for the government to target citizens with IRS audits for thier political beliefs and that it is "no big deal"? I am sure that if you were audited, it was not for your political beliefs, but for a "red flag" on your return. The government should not be in the business of persecuting citizens they are sworn to SERVE.

Liberals truely are fascists.

PS- I have never been audited. Why? I take very few deductions, "overpay" my taxes up front, and have a clean return with no funny business. I guess, as citizens, we should pay the taxes that we owe. I find it interesting that all these libs calling for more taxes in the Obama government are tax cheats who tried to avoid all the taxes they could!
As I said in another thread, all these shenanigans that the IRS has/is pulling makes one wonder how much the color of ones skin is in play.
Racism via $$$$?
Think about it, race of people affected by the INS and the (majority) of the race of people affected by the IRS and the uproar (or lack thereof) generated by either institution.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:21 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,390,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Still griping over democracy when it doesn't go your way.

Intimidate?

Wow, that's a weird notion: "The IRS so intimidated my billionaire ass with the prospect of an audit that I was a wee bit nervous about spending even more of the record spending against Obama that I wanted to, to buy the election with propaganda."

Hey, you know what? I've been audited. I brought the supporting documents and they said "Okay". Any legitimate individual, business or organization should be able to do the same. The notion that billionaires, with their teams of lawyers and lobbyists were "intimidated," is preposterous -- but indicative of the right-wing mind, that is inclined to invent outlandish theories to explain what is obvious. The people didn't want Romney to be president.
While the central talking point to address this growing scandal seems to be nothing more than "what scandal?". the central issue is crucial. The IRS is an independent government agency that is supposed apply laws and regulations fairly. By their own admission, and as determined by an internal Treasury Department Inspector General investigation, the IRS unfairly targeted conservative groups. This is fact, and has already been established, and admitted to by the IRS. They did not apply the same amount of scrutiny to liberal groups. Other recent stories, as referenced here and on all major news outlets, have also uncovered a pattern of the IRS "cracking down" on political opponents of the current administration. If you cannot see why this is wrong, then you are just too hamstrung by political ideology.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
While the central talking point to address this growing scandal seems to be nothing more than "what scandal?". the central issue is crucial. The IRS is an independent government agency that is supposed apply laws and regulations fairly. By their own admission, and as determined by an internal Treasury Department Inspector General investigation, the IRS unfairly targeted conservative groups. This is fact, and has already been established, and admitted to by the IRS. They did not apply the same amount of scrutiny to liberal groups. Other recent stories, as referenced here and on all major news outlets, have also uncovered a pattern of the IRS "cracking down" on political opponents of the current administration. If you cannot see why this is wrong, then you are just too hamstrung by political ideology.
They targeted groups that were counter to the positions Obama was taking. They all might not have been conservative but they all were groups that Obama disagreed with.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,126,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They targeted groups that were counter to the positions Obama was taking. They all might not have been conservative but they all were groups that Obama disagreed with.
They targeted groups that used political "buzzwords" either in their name or in their stated goals. The IRS is supposed to determine whether these groups are political or not. So political "buzzwords" would seem like a good place to start. The IRS didn't know if the groups were counter to the positions that Obama was taking when they focused their attention on them. The IRS only knew the groups had some political component based on their names or stated goals. The problem was that the "buzzwords" that the IRS keyed in on were more often associated with conservative groups than with more liberal organizations. The IRS basically profiled based on these "buzzwords", and they aren't allowed to profile.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They targeted groups that used political "buzzwords" either in their name or in their stated goals. The IRS is supposed to determine whether these groups are political or not. So political "buzzwords" would seem like a good place to start. The IRS didn't know if the groups were counter to the positions that Obama was taking when they focused their attention on them.

Yes, just a huge coincidence that they were.

Quote:
The IRS only knew the groups had some political component based on their names or stated goals. The problem was that the "buzzwords" that the IRS keyed in on were more often associated with conservative groups than with more liberal organizations. The IRS basically profiled based on these "buzzwords", and they aren't allowed to profile.
Denying people of their civil and constitutional rights is indeed a big deal.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,126,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, just a huge coincidence that they were.

Denying people of their civil and constitutional rights is indeed a big deal.
Yes.

And yes.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,810,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They targeted groups that used political "buzzwords" either in their name or in their stated goals. The IRS is supposed to determine whether these groups are political or not. So political "buzzwords" would seem like a good place to start. The IRS didn't know if the groups were counter to the positions that Obama was taking when they focused their attention on them. The IRS only knew the groups had some political component based on their names or stated goals. The problem was that the "buzzwords" that the IRS keyed in on were more often associated with conservative groups than with more liberal organizations. The IRS basically profiled based on these "buzzwords", and they aren't allowed to profile.
Anyone remember Gibson Guitars?

IRS Tea Party Intimidation An Echo Of Raids On Gibson Guitar - Investors.com

PAPER: Gibson Guitar raids may be another case of Obama administration targetingPAPER: Gibson Guitar raids may be another case of Obama administration targeting | The Daily Caller

If people’s freedom to express political ideas and support a political party puts them in the crosshairs of a powerful government agency, or if people are afraid of talking to the press for fear of discovery by a partisan DOJ, then politically we have become a fundamentally different country. In a free republic, the government is afraid of the people, not the reverse.

WORLD | Government should fear the people, not the reverse | D.C. Innes | May 27, 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies