Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 10:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Some Democrats called for Bush to be investigated for a possibly impeachable offence on one issue only, and it was a pretty big one. Conservatives have called for impeachment investigations on Obama at least 14 times already. There really is no comparison.

So you really do believe that Benghazi is worse than Iran-Contra?
I am not referring to which is worse, they are two different situations: What I am saying is and you certainly are smart enough to understand this, these things work on both sides, neither side has an edge on trying to take ridiculous stands or calling for stupid actions. How come, some of you and you are one, can only see one side to every single situation? Has it ever dawned on you there are 2 sides to most...?? You say conservatives have done thus and so, you are judging them based on what, the actions of a handful? Do you think all liberals should be grouped together based on the views of a handful of radicals or extremists? Could you also explain how Iran-Contra got into this debate?

Old 05-12-2013, 10:41 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Spoiler
At this point, the evidence is pretty conclusive that the CIA thought that it was a demonstration over a video (which, again, does not mean that it wasn't an attack, or terrorism). That's what they said in their initial talking points memo about their current assessment. They were also clear that they were still investigating, and that their assessment could change. And as it turns out, they did change their assessment as they evaluated the information they had, as well as new information.

So, basically, the "scandal" is that the CIA consists of humans.
Humans, trained to thing along company lines. Just waiting for someone to tell them it was a terrorist attack so someone else could tell them what to do next.

Our government is head long into failure.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:43 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Wow, you have already forgotten about the two bloody wars that baby boy Bush led this country into on his little horse?
It'a about THIS administration not the last or the ones before that. Man, excuses abound

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It'a about THIS administration not the last or the ones before that. Man, excuses abound
They do have trouble staying on track. Every time they do this I understand that they have no evidence to dispute so they pull out the Bush card, the race card, the attack card. Just like they used the race card as an attempt to put people on defense and shut us up. They pull out the Bush card in an attempt to achieve the same thing.

Every time they do this they effectively threw in the towel and lost the debate.

Last edited by eRayP; 05-12-2013 at 10:54 AM..

Old 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
So the CIA had good enough information about the Cairo demonstrations to have US employees there stay home that day but had nothing about Benghazi ? Didn't even know what happened in Benghazi for 2 weeks ?

US employees in the Cairo Embassy were warned and told to stay home that day.

Intel agencies warned U.S. Embassy in Egypt of possible violence | Reuters
A U.S. intelligence cable warned the American Embassy in Cairo of possible violence in response to Arabic-language broadcasts of clips from an anti-Muslim film, U.S. government sources said on Monday.
Copies of the cable were not sent to other U.S. outposts in the region, including the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, where violence took the life of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said staff were "well aware" that the video was being used to whip up strong feelings and could lead to demonstrations, and that most of the Cairo embassy staff had been instructed to stay home that day even before the protests began.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Default Gates: Benghazi Critics Have 'Cartoonish' View of Military Capability

Gates: Some Benghazi Critics Have 'Cartoonish' View of Military Capability

Former Secretary of Defense Robert Gates forcefully defended the Obama administration on Sunday against charges that it did not do enough to prevent the tragedy in Benghazi, telling CBS' "Face the Nation" that some critics of the administration have a "cartoonish impression of military capabilities and military forces."

Gates, a Republican who was appointed by then-President George W. Bush in 2006 and agreed to stay through more than two years of President Obama's first term, repeatedly declined to criticize the policymakers who devised a response to the September 2012 attack on a U.S. diplomatic facility in Benghazi, Libya, that left four Americans dead, including the U.S. Ambassador to Libya, Chris Stevens.
"Frankly, had I been in the job at the time, I think my decisions would have been just as theirs were," said Gates, now the chancellor of the College of William and Mary.

"We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East, and so getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible." he explained.

Suggestions that we could have flown a fighter jet over the attackers to "scare them with the noise or something," Gates said, ignored the "number of surface to air missiles that have disappeared from [former Libyan leader] Qaddafi's arsenals."

"I would not have approved sending an aircraft, a single aircraft, over Benghazi under those circumstances," he said.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Let's see...

1) Lying to the public and to others in government, then using those lies to justify invading and occupying a foreign nation.
2) Breaking into the opposition headquarters to steal information, then covering it up.
3) Selling weapons to Iran and using the money to fund torture, murder, rape, kidnapping, and mutilation in South America.
4) Providing information to the public that turns out to be inaccurate and maybe failing to send in extra support and security (mind you, there would have been more support there in the first place had Republicans not refused to fund it).
5) Having an affair and lying about it.

It's telling that you think those last two are awful, but are totally willing to overlook the first three.

Even the worst case scenario I've heard from Republicans about Benghazi pales in comparison to actively funding and encouraging the murder, rape, and torture of civilians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I haven't seen ANY evidence that shows that the President had anything to do with anything that's impeachable in Benghazi, so your statement has no relevance. Richard Nixon authorized criminal acts, and that's why he was impeached. This is just more tea party drama and whining. It's like a broken record. This is the FOURTEENTH time in 5 years that you freaks have claimed that the president did something impeachable. It's embarrassing for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
No information voters?

The Science of Fox News: Why Its Viewers are the Most Misinformed | Alternet

I know you're glad that you have a channel that reinforces your errant belief system... But telling you what you want to hear doesn't make you well informed.
Well I guess the reinforcements requested on Obama's website finally showed up. The usual crowd taking a breather?

Old 05-12-2013, 11:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
"We don't have a ready force standing by in the Middle East, and so getting somebody there in a timely way would have been very difficult, if not impossible." he explained.
At the time they had no idea how much time they had. They had no idea what kind of situation they would have to face.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
At the time they had no idea how much time they had. They had no idea what kind of situation they would have to face.
Yes, it seems they had no idea about Benghazi but had plenty of info on Cairo beforehand and told the employees to stay home that day.

The truth is that we'll never really find out the truth.

Intelligence knew all about planned demonstrations in Cairo but not about a planned terrorist attack in Behghazi. Pretty sad if you ask me.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So the CIA had good enough information about the Cairo demonstrations to have US employees there stay home that day but had nothing about Benghazi ? Didn't even know what happened in Benghazi for 2 weeks ?

US employees in the Cairo Embassy were warned and told to stay home that day.

Intel agencies warned U.S. Embassy in Egypt of possible violence | Reuters
A U.S. intelligence cable warned the American Embassy in Cairo of possible violence in response to Arabic-language broadcasts of clips from an anti-Muslim film, U.S. government sources said on Monday.
Copies of the cable were not sent to other U.S. outposts in the region, including the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, where violence took the life of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said staff were "well aware" that the video was being used to whip up strong feelings and could lead to demonstrations, and that most of the Cairo embassy staff had been instructed to stay home that day even before the protests began.
Y'all realize this thread is an exsercize in futility right? No matter what evidence is uncovered, no matter how many transparent half truths and outright lies come out of Carney's mouth (aka the president) and no matter how many witnesses testify (who were in country btw) not to mention damning emails turning up the "believers" will NEVER,ever admit that decisions were made that killed people (I would call them mistakes if they hadn't been done on purpose) and then a concerted effort to cover it all up was undertaken.

They just will NOT believe that the "chosen" one would,could,might be wro..wro...wron...WRONG. There I said it, whew that was tough.
As I've said before, I'd love to see Obama resign and let Biden become the leader for a while. Then maybe some of the "believers" will see just what a mess they voted in office.
Can you imagine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.