Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,515,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
LOL! Gore would have responded to 9/11 in a much more tepid way. W was pro life. W , right or wrong, staunchly advocated tax cuts.

The one area W was not conservative on was in not funding the wars he fought to start.

W followed a Dem who was farther right than the Dems of prior decades (Welfare Reform was a pre 92 BC wish he campaigned on, Sister Soulah, limited government) , and Americans failed to recognize that is why they were fairly similar in many ways. Moving further right was a political death spiral for any candiidate. America wasn't further right than, or now.
We have no idea how Gore woulda responded to 9/11. He lost the election.

We didn't get limited government with Clinton, despite what people say. The government got larger under him. And he doubled the size of the budget(if I remember right)

W never made any attempt to overturn Roe v. Wade. So it doesn't matter what his position is.

He didn't advoocate cutting taxes enough to be a conservative, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 11:25 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yeah. Young people don't vote in large enough numbers to count.

And they tend to become more conservative as they get older. That's also when they start voting.

In other words, no politician or political party gives a crap about young people or what they think.
Politicians in competitive districts care about swing voters and people who may or may not show up to the polls, politicians in non-competitive districts care about primary voters. The latter tends to exclude younger people but the former does not.

On economic issues people do get more conservative as they age, but that's just because they tend to become more successful and more likely to have a family to support. On social issues, it is less that aging individuals get more conservative and more that society as a whole changes. I'm sure when I and my contemporaries are 50 most of the causes we believe in will be entrenched government policy, and the next generation will have their own social changes they want that we will resist in turn.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:27 AM

26,514 posts, read 15,092,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Moderate Republicans seem to be all but gone. What happened to the Eisenhower Republicans?
There are a lot of Eisenhower Republicans out there. I am one of them. In fact, I might be more of a liberal on social issues. I feel that GWB failed as president. I am just demonized as an ultra-right winger - because I question Democrats on their lack of criticism towards Obama's hypocrisy, lies, and broken promises.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
LOL! Gore would have responded to 9/11 in a much more tepid way. W was pro life. W , right or wrong, staunchly advocated tax cuts.

The one area W was not conservative on was in not funding the wars he fought to start.

W followed a Dem who was farther right than the Dems of prior decades (Welfare Reform was a pre 92 BC wish he campaigned on, Sister Soulah, limited government) , and Americans failed to recognize that is why they were fairly similar in many ways. Moving further right was a political death spiral for any candiidate. America wasn't further right than, or now.
Bush responded to 9/11 the way he should have: being pro life does not make one a over the top conservative. overall views determine if one is over the top to the right or left. I would consider George W conservative to moderately so,but certainly not a die hard conservative in the eyes of the GOP, obviously in the eyes of the left all Republicans are conservative or almost all.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:29 AM

797 posts, read 1,345,140 times
Seems moderates are disappearing from the Democratic Party at a much faster rate.

When Ronald Reagan was president there were many blue dog Democrats in congress.
Today, you can count them on one hand.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:30 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,143 times
Quote:

Bush was pro life, but pro life is and has been part of the party platform. It is no more extremist to be pro life as a Republican than it is extremist to be pro choice as a Democrat. That is par for the course.
For taxes, see above. Lower taxes being better for the economy has always been the Republican position. It is not extremist.

Bush ran large deficits, introduced No Child Left Behind (a disaster, but the point isn't that it was good - the point is that sweeping changes to education at the federal level are not extreme right wing), expanded Medicare, increased the size of federal government, was soft on illegal immigration, etc.

Bush was a neocon, he was not hard right. Like McCain he was a "progressive Republican". The fact that he supported using progressive policies to do things that Democrats don't agree with does not change the fact that he supported progressive policies.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:35 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't believe in bending over backwards for the ultra rich because they "might" toss scraps of jobs to us if we just cut their taxes more and more (they'll just invest their savings in derivatives, assuming they paid taxes in the first place), cut taxes for the middle class and poor, I don't believe in the privatization of public infrastructure, I don't want FDR's or LBJ's programs to be rolled back, socially conservative, pro 2A, don't believe in global warming, anti-austerity, anti-amnesty. Overall, I'm somewhere between center and center-right.
What principle do you have? Do you understand that the right and left never get around to the premise? I will say at lease that conservatives do continually reject the premise that the wealthy cause poverty yet people on the left just ignore it. I don't ignore it and answer that rejection that "the wealthy" is a poorly defined concept they has no implied definition of either creating wealth or owning it. Its quite clear both are possible since Attila the Hun acquired wealth in a zero sum fashion while Henry Ford created it . We should treat the Sultan of Brunei as we do Edison? This is why I detest both sides as ranting fools. They bicker back and forth while tragic-comically both being wrong.

Liberals want spending and Conservatives want balanced budgets and I am almost alone in wanting to see public debt function as it was mean to function which is to prevent private money monopoly.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Default Are there any Moderate Republicans on this board?

I used to be.

Now I'm an independent. Ted "poopy" Nugent and I can't be on the same side.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:42 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yeah. Young people don't vote in large enough numbers to count.

And they tend to become more conservative as they get older. That's also when they start voting.

In other words, no politician or political party gives a crap about young people or what they think.
I find your name interesting- OhioRules -. Such a swing state displays the problem with marginallism. If there is one person who has a chance to understand that value is often happenstance it should be you. Ohio is magnified in its political power from nothing other than it being at the margins. Its ironic that in the function of an efficient state , it is essential to suppress income or power flowing from the result of marginal influences since it has nothing to do with merit. Yet its marginal influences that decide.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:46 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
There are a lot of Eisenhower Republicans out there. I am one of them. In fact, I might be more of a liberal on social issues. I feel that GWB failed as president. I am just demonized as an ultra-right winger - because I question Democrats on their lack of criticism towards Obama's hypocrisy, lies, and broken promises.

Exactly. Anyone who opposes Obama in any way, and does not kiss his a$$ is a RWNJ extremist. This is how looney the left is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies