Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM

27,810 posts, read 16,320,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Bankers create money out of thin air and loan it to you at interest.
You then have to pay the principle and interest back out of your work, blood, sweat, and tears.
This is nothing short of slavery.

Right now as we speak, the federal reserve (which is a privately owned corporation - owned by private central bankers), prints out of thin air $85 billion each month. They use this to purchase 'mortgage backed securities' and other bonds. Meanwhile the bankers pay themselves multi-million dollar bonuses.

You on the other hand must work much of your whole life to pay off your $300,000 mortgage.

This system is unsustainable and will collapse at some point.
I believe T.J. warned of this..stealing the wealth of a nation and such right out from under its nose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 PM

79,910 posts, read 44,427,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because all he did was live up to an agreement Countrywide signed with HUD, which enabled Countrywide to accept "nontraditional credit" and other faulty qualifications from low-income and/or high risk borrowers for loan approval because the GSEs (Fannie and Freddie) agreed to buy the high risk loans that Countrywide originated.Case Study: Countrywide Home Loans, Inc.

Which is why it will happen again, in the name of affordable housing.
Is part of the reason we have not charged anyone with anything because of the quid pro quo here between the lenders and the politicians who wanted to try out their ideas that were bound to fail? Indeed.

Countrywide took things even further than this. They were not only accepting nontraditional income but they were simply making it up.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,264,737 times
Quote:
You then have to pay the principle and interest back out of your work, blood, sweat, and tears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Uhh yes they do, its called fractional reserve banking...

You deposit $100 and they loan out $1000 they just created $$$ out of thin air...
Quote:
It comes from thin air, they loan out more than they have they are creating new $$$...

Ever heard of a bank run???
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Sorry pknopp, you're dead wrong. Look up "fractional reserve banking" and see how it works. There are plenty of short youtube videos which explain it. Banks DO create money (debt) out of thin air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Finally! A topic that conservatives and liberals alike can all agree on. Believe it or not, this was the crux of some of the more cool-headed people in the Tea Party and the Occupy movement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I can't say you're wrong.
You're wrong.

I don't give a goddam how many videos are on Useless Tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, you have to start your argument with a factual position or the entire thing falls apart. "Bankers" do not create money out of thin air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Newsflash: Throughout history, even with sound money, usury has been charged. It is the rental price of money.
Well, this is encouraging. At least two people understand.

I'll explain this.....

Banks have depositors. Suppose a bank has $1 Million in deposits, and suppose the Fractional Reserve System was outlawed like the morons on Useless Tube want.

How much money can the bank loan out?

What happens if the bank loans out all $1 Million in deposits? You go to the ATM to withdraw cash and the ATM gives you a nasty-gram saying it cannot complete the transaction.

Who does not understand that?

It's pretty straight forward.

Suppose a law or just plain common sense limits the bank to loaning no more than 50% of its average daily deposits, and say that happens to be $1 Million. The bank can loan out $500,000, and then keep $500,000 on hand for people like you who want to use their ATM cards, because their just happens to be an ATM machine calling their name.

Where do you think you'll be on the waiting list?

Waiting list? Yeah, you know, there's 2,000 people who want a mortgage and the bank can make two mortgage loans of $150,000 each...for 30 years....you'll have to wait until one of those mortgages are paid off so the next person ahead of you on the list can get their mortgage.

Same with auto loans. The bank set aside $250,000 for mortgages, and $200,000 for auto loans. There's 1,371 people competing for one of the 5 to 8 possible auto loans the bank gives every 5-7 years.

You're number 914 on the list, so you might as well just save your money and pay cash for a car, right?

I'm guessing the bank-tards on Useless Tube forgot to mention those minor details.

How do we get around this problem?

Fractional Reserve Banking.

A central bank backs the commercial banks. In the US, the central bank happens to be called the Federal Reserve, um, you know, since the US is a federal republic, so the National Bank of the United States would be an oxymoron (and so would Federal National Bank).

The Fractional Reserve System allows banks to loan more money than they actually have in deposits.

So let's talk about deposits.

Where do deposits come from? Do the fall out of the sky and land in the bank? No, they come from people, business, industry and many different types of groups and associations, some philanthropic, some not.

Why do deposits remain in a bank?

I got $5 Million in cash sitting around. Give me one good reason to deposit my $5 Million in cash in your bank.

What are you going to do for me?

I deposit $5 Million in your bank, and you're going to loan part of that out, and I don't even get so much as a "by your leave?"

Fred's Bank will pay 5 5/8% interest and Jill's Bank will pay me 6 3/8% interest to deposit my $5 Million.

I guessing the bank-tards on Useless Tube forgot to mention that minor trivial detail.

So, you say, "(Sob)(Sniffle)But the bank doesn't pay me interest (Sob)."

Why would they?

The measly $600 you deposit every week is gone in 30 seconds. Video games, Starsux, McDonald's, iTunes, and an host of other crap that you don't really need, but it does satisfy those infantile urges that rule your brain.

You make the bank do so much work chasing around your transactions and your over-draws, they ought to charge you money.....and they do...that's what the fees are for.

What, you thought it was free? Oh, you're right, it is totally free. People come home from work, change clothes, then go volunteer at the bank for 6 hours each evening balancing books, ensuring compliance with silly-ass State and federal regulations....and the volunteers work for free.

Is that what you thought? No, sorry, hate to ruin your pipe-dream, but the bank has paid employees.

Back to deposits.

Where does the bank get the money to pay the interest to maintain is deposits?

The bank gets that by charging interest on loans. The bank loans you money, charges you 9 3/4% interest then out of that 9 3/4% pays me my 6 3/8% and keeps the rest as revenues/profits.

I'm guessing the bank-tards on Useless Tube forgot to mention that as well.

But, of course! Telling the truth destroys their stupid arguments.

The banks do not create money out of thin air.....they loan money based on the deposits they have, and the deposits they have cost money to maintain.

Doesn't the house, the car, or the clothes you buy already exist? Of course. Money is just a medium of exchange. You could trade a dozen horses or so to another for cash, then take the cash and buy the car, but it would be easier to buy the car and pay for it using your future income.

If anyone is creating money out of thin air, it is you, not the banks.

Monetarily...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
If I am not mistaken, I believe this is the basis of the FIRE economy. FIRE = Finance, Insurance, Real Estate
You are mistaken. Fractional Reserve Banking existed long before idiots came up with the idea that the entire US economy could run on Finance, Insurance and Real Estate.

Basically...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
What do you think we can do about it?
Nothing.

You're too weak and pathetic to do anything about it. It is the nature of people to do absolute nothing as slowly as possible. Besides, you couldn't live on the Gold Standard for more than 3 seconds before you'd be on your knees begging to go back to fiat currency.

Quote:
The Federal Reserve bank does under the guidance of the government.

Your problem here is not with the banks but rather the government. I suspect you might have a problem with placing the blame where it belongs.
Uh-huh, except you are the government. "We the people..." and all that.

Quote:
Usury? Yes. Making a profit on creating money out of thin air like the Federal Reserve does because it has a government-granted monopoly on doing so? Not so much.
The Federal Reserve does not make a profit, and any money that might happen to be made is immediately turned over the US Treasury Department.

Quote:
A bank simply cannot take a $100 deposit and lend someone else $1,000 without that other $900 coming from somewhere. Think about it...
It comes from future income. The bank assesses your ability to repay the loan based on your credit worthiness, and the same for businesses.

Quote:
To argue though, if the Greenspan's and Bernanke's were unable to see the obvious massive fraud the banks were committing one has to question why we even bother. And no, the end of Glass-Steagall did not make the fraud legal.
What fraud?

I'm still waiting for someone to show me evidence of fraud (after like 8 years already).

Quote:
At interest... And when they make loans to people that cant pay it back we bail em out....

Moral Hazard...
As stupid a policy as it might be, that is what you wanted. You are the government. The clowns in government didn't get beamed to Planet Earth from a distant space-ship....you put them there.

If you want to make some changes, then two effective changes would be...

1] if you insist upon government-backed mortgages, then bar mortgage holders from having an HELOC, or obtaining 2nd/3rd Mortgages.

If you study the collapse of the housing bubble, the issue was not the primary mortgage, rather it was HELOCs, and 2nd/3rd Mortgages. Homeowners burned up their equity getting a 2nd Mortgage to consolidate their credit card debt, then stupidly ran up their credit cards....then lost their job, but got another....at a lower wage....household income declining....people refused to make adjustments to their life-style and standard of living -- because, um, you know, they're "entitled" to it --- and then they defaulted on their HELOC or 2nd/3rd Mortgage, not the primary mortgage.

2] better yet, do away with government backed mortgages.....the banks can obtain their own mortgage insurance and pass the cost onto home-buyers in the form of higher interest rates, or let the home-buyer obtain their own mortgage insurance (which is preferable because it gives the consumer choices).

I don't see why people who have no interest in owning homes -- yeah, I'm talking about apartment dwellers -- should be coerced into bank-rolling the failed mortgages of home-owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Those holding precious metals for trade, necessary commodities like food and medicine, and shelter/defense, will survive.
Why would I want precious metals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The only question is when the house of cards collapses.
Never.

It burns down, falls over, and sinks into a swamp, but it never just collapses.

Quote:
Because all he did was live up to an agreement Countrywide signed with HUD, which enabled Countrywide to accept "nontraditional credit" and other faulty qualifications from low-income and/or high risk borrowers for loan approval because the GSEs (Fannie and Freddie) agreed to buy the high risk loans that Countrywide originated.Case Study: Countrywide Home Loans, Inc.
published by Fannie Mae Foundation, 2000
http://fcic-static.law.stanford.edu/...%20Markets.pdf

Which is why it will happen again, in the name of affordable housing.
For those whose memory isn't as good as InformedConsent's.....this disaster was brought to you by Blow Job Bill.....

White House Press Briefing, Office of the Press Secretary (Dec. 8, 1993)

MR. RUBIN: Hi. I'm Bob Rubin, the Assistant to the President for Economic Policy, and I'm going to introduce today's topic.

The President, as you know, has a broad, comprehensive strategy for dealing with the economic problems of the country for putting the country back on the right track for the long-term. A lot of the legislative and executive actions that have taken place in 1993 have been pursuant to that long-term economic strategy of the President's.

[I guess Clinton's long-term economic strategy was a recessionary economy.]

An important component of that strategy is to deal with the problems of the inner city and distressed rural communities -- pursuant to his belief that we must make real progress in those areas if this country is going to be successful in the future for all of us. The reform of the Community Reinvestment Act is an essential building block in the efforts I've just mentioned. In July the President asked the four banking regulators to reform CRA, to reduce paperwork in process and reward performance, and to get that done by January 1, 1994

SECRETARY BENTSEN: In a nutshell, what we're proposing to do is to make it easier for lenders to show how they're complying with the Community Reinvestment Act. For those who aren't familiar with the area of banking law, the changes we're proposing are important because banks now have a very clear, quantitative standard by which their compliance can be judged.

MR. LUDWIG: Ken, you know that it's hard to give a hard and fast rule, particularly on a system where we want to be flexible, we don't want to have credit allocation or quotas.

At the same time, the CRA, for all its flaws, since 1977 it is generally agreed has increased lending in low and moderate income areas by tens of billions of dollars. We're all convinced that this is a material step forward. So it's very safe to say billions of dollars.

The entire CRA reform is very much built on rebuttable presumptions, so that you don't have odd anomalous cases which we found around the country, where a bank had done a good job but somehow got rated poorly, or vice versa.

Q Will you be gathering information just on loans, or on applications, as well, for small business?

MR. LUDWIG: We will be gathering data as proposed on the basis of applications, denials and actual loans.

Q Does this mean that if I am a banker with branches in the inner city, I no longer have to have an employee keeping pins on the map of town to show where the loans are, that it's now going to be judged on dollars and cents and how much money goes where?

MR. LUDWIG: Dollars and cents, and we'll keep the pins. The data will be publicly available and the banker will not have to have a crazy map with pins all over it, which has just characterized this whole process, and spending huge amounts of time documenting every time it meets with a community group and being judged on how many documents it has. It will be judged on where the loans are.

[Emphasis Mine ]

Collaterialized Debt Obligations [CDOs) and Structured Investment Vehicles (SIVs) were created in response to
Clinton's demand to issue more mortgages or be financially penalized and suffer legal action and scrutiny at the federal and State level, and also in the Media.

Collaterally....

Mircea

Old 02-09-2013, 03:02 PM

89,673 posts, read 45,290,701 times
Quote:
Is part of the reason we have not charged anyone with anything because of the quid pro quo here between the lenders and the politicians who wanted to try out their ideas that were bound to fail? Indeed.

Countrywide took things even further than this. They were not only accepting nontraditional income but they were simply making it up.
That's the same thing. Nontraditional income can't be verified. Anyone could say anything and it would be accepted as valid.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 02-09-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 AM

198 posts, read 168,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
The Federal Reserve is not a scam, it is a banking regulatory system. It was the repeal of the provisions of Glass-Steagall that was the beginning of the scam followed by the revisions of the federal bankruptcy laws.
10 Years Later, Looking at Repeal of Glass-Steagall - NYTimes.com

Actually the SCAM started in 1933 by FDR when he declared gold illegal and took us off the gold standard and sold the federal reserve to the Rothchilds and/or Rockerfellers. It's all been going down hill ever since.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
What fraud?

I'm still waiting for someone to show me evidence of fraud (after like 8 years already).
I have one question: When will the prosecutions start? What prosecutions? Financial institutions across America are filled with high ranking officials who all participated in creating a culture and system of defrauding the American public and crashing the American economy with false and fraudulent loans! Now the evidence is becoming overwhelming. Instead of giving banks bail-out money, we should have asked the government to give them one-way tickets to jail. Not all banks are bad, and not all bad loans are fraud. But the huge amount of loans were issued on fraudulent signatures and false reports, and those fraudulent activities were caused and perpetrated by bank officials who have yet to be called to justice for their misdeeds.

Federal Law Violations at Countrywide Home Loans and Bank of America : Whistleblower Law Blog

Now if by "evidence" you mean as in presented in a court, well that is the problem is it not?

Yes, I am familiar with how complicit the government is in all of this which is why there have not been prosecutions.

Since you did a great job presenting your complete argument I will continue.

Sarbanes-Oxley Law's Big Weapon Sits Idle - WSJ.com

The government should have went ahead with their prosecution of Mozilo. It seems far too often they are willing to accept a fine which in many cases is nothing more than a slap on the wrist. The prosecutions that came during the S&L crises weren't slam dunks either but they indeed resulted in jail time.

People like Mozilo doesn't care about a fine. He still has plenty of money. He wasn't the only one either.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
That's the same thing. Nontraditional income can't be verified. Anyone could say anything and it would be accepted as valid.
In a rational world, that would be fraud.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:43 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,612,367 times
Quote:

Right now as we speak, the federal reserve (which is a privately owned corporation - owned by private central bankers), prints out of thin air $85 billion each month. They use this to purchase 'mortgage backed securities' and other bonds. Meanwhile the bankers pay themselves multi-million dollar bonuses.

You on the other hand must work much of your whole life to pay off your $300,000 mortgage.

This system is unsustainable and will collapse at some point.
You realize you don't ever have to take out a loan. Ever. In your entire life.
No one is forcing you into this life of 'slavery.'
This post is actually part of the real scam...the "I have no personal responsibility" scam that is spreading like wildfire across this country.
Yes. If you borrow money from someone and you agree to the terms, you have to pay it back.
I don't see how this is a scam or slavery.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You realize you don't ever have to take out a loan. Ever. In your entire life.
No one is forcing you into this life of 'slavery.'
This post is actually part of the real scam...the "I have no personal responsibility" scam that is spreading like wildfire across this country.
Yes. If you borrow money from someone and you agree to the terms, you have to pay it back.
I don't see how this is a scam or slavery.
The principle is not a scam. How it was allowed to be used is though. We are all on the hook for billions of dollars now whether we wanted to be or not.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:14 AM

89,673 posts, read 45,290,701 times
Quote:
In a rational world, that would be fraud.
Yes, but in order to give low-income and high risk borrowers access to home ownership, HUD and the GSEs began accepting "nontraditional" qualifications for approved loans in 1994 when Clinton and the Dem Congress rewrote the CRA.

As Mircea said, no fraud was committed by the loan originators, e.g. Mozilo at Countrywide, they were just functioning under their affordable housing agreements with HUD , etc. Where the fraud came in was when the GSEs bundled and sold the loans as MBS, not disclosing the "nontraditional" loan documentation and leaving the securities buyers thinking that the loans backing the MBS had met all traditional documentation requirements.

There have been no prosecutions of loan originators because the federal government was complicit. And there will be no prosecution of the GSEs' nondisclosure of adverse loan conditions because, again, the government was complicit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies