Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:40 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,406 times

Advertisements

For the first time were I live gas has hit the 4 dollar mark. We've been building hybrids for almost 10 years now and we have big ugly wind turbines popping up all over but yet gas prices are still rising.

I guess I could be over reacting, after all we have the Obama volt.

FORWARD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
For the first time were I live gas has hit the 4 dollar mark. We've been building hybrids for almost 10 years now and we have big ugly wind turbines popping up all over but yet gas prices are still rising.

FORWARD

Actually, it's a weak dollar causing the high prices.

We don't have a shortage of gold, food or fuel.

We have an oversupply of worthless paper currency.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,857,391 times
It isn't the price of gas, but the dependency on foreign oil. That drains our economy of tens of billions each month and has for some time. It is a rate we simply can't sustain. Big oil is happy with the high prices as 20% of $4 is far more than 20% of $1

Obama is right that we need to head forward towards independence on foreign fuel. Carter has us on that road in the 70's but Reagan derailed his efforts. Now we are back in worse condition and still haven't made the change.

reps must get great support from the oil companies as they always keep them in our pockets.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
It isn't the price of gas, but the dependency on foreign oil. That drains our economy of tens of billions each month and has for some time. It is a rate we simply can't sustain. Big oil is happy with the high prices as 20% of $4 is far more than 20% of $1

Obama is right that we need to head forward towards independence on foreign fuel. Carter has us on that road in the 70's but Reagan derailed his efforts. Now we are back in worse condition and still haven't made the change.

reps must get great support from the oil companies as they always keep them in our pockets.
Woa there! Obama has never pushed for independence on foreign fuel. No, he has only pushed less efficient "green" energy forms at the expense of shutting down drilling on federal lands which would allow the US to be significantly less dependant on foreign oil.

Obama gave Brazil $1 Billion for its deep water drilling projects (much deeper than our own in the Gulf) and told Brazil he looked forward to the US becomeing Brazil's best customer for oil. Does that sound like a POTUS who wants the US to be independent of foreign fuel?

No, Obama's policy is to make Americans pay more for fuel so as to redistribute the wealth. He is willing to give money to 3rd world countries with oil production while simultaneously having his Sec. of the Interior deny drilling permits on federal lands.

As the printing presses run, fuel prices, food prices, and other items no longer measured in the inflation index, continue to rise.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 09-11-2012 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,406 times
Quote:

nonsense. you probably believe in the supply and demand nonsense as well....

Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:

CARTER?

U.S. Imports of Crude Oil (Thousand Barrels per Day)

Old 09-11-2012, 11:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Romney's plan calls for North American energy independence by 2020.

Does Obama have a goal for ever achieving energy independence?

Old 09-11-2012, 11:04 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
OP - sorry that I didn't address your assertion in my first post on this thread. Gas prices are not destroying our economy. They are not helping our economy, but to suggest they are primarily responsible for the horrible economic conditions is laughable.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:19 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post

FORWARD
You're over-reacting.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:24 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
High gas prices are helping to destroy the economy because they are taking away cash that could be used to buy other things (help out other industries). Now, due to high gas prices, many people don't have money to spend on clothes, food, vacations, etc, etc, etc.

So gas is definitely not helping. It's not the root cause, but its not helping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies