Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2013, 04:19 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,240,243 times

Advertisements

The middle class did this to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 04:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,820,812 times
The wealth gap is a natural state of any economy. Middle class is an artificial state created by governments, primarily through distribution of wealth. Over time, the uber wealthy have grown accustomed to it because it allows them to sleep better knowing it's less likely the poor will come for their heads in the middle of the night.

Global competition and technology have harmed the middle class the most.
No one is going to pay more for made in the USA so that U.S. people can enjoy a middle class lifestyle.
Technology has been eliminating middle class jobs for decades. 1/3 of all middle class manufacturing jobs were eliminated by technology between 2000-2010.

No politician/party has a plan out of this which is why they distract the audience and throw stones at the other party. The media encourages this. And it's obvious the masses buy into how one president is going to magically pull a rabbit out of his hat and save the day and make every one happy, happy, happy.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM

31,108 posts, read 22,149,783 times
Solidly in the middle class here and doing much better than my parents or grand parents; Work smart, get a usable degree, put away as much as possible for savings and retirement.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,897,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
not all of it. yes its true that some in the middle class pushed their purchasing power to the limit and beyond, and ended up with a housing market collapse, but government regulations, or the lack there of in many instances, allowed this to happen. it is also government regulations that are preventing many in the middle class from improving their positions by taking the chance and opening up their own business.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,776,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I blame the politicians who have enslaved millions of people with government Nanny State programs. We have taught our people that they don't need to take responsibility for their actions because the government will take care of them. Beginning with FDR and continuing through Obama, we have gradually instilled a dependent spirit in our people.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:53 PM

35,769 posts, read 21,126,227 times
it's called jobs and the middle income jobs -customer service, manufacturing etc etc all shipped overseas. I call my cable company I talk to Mexico--I call the bankcard I talk to India, I needed some part it is in the Dom Rep... I know they making parts in China, as they cannot ship the item assembled to USA, its stops by in El Salvador, then it can come here. Automation and globalization. I know a gal knows about computers she is in retail now-and to return to school be fine, except the schools do not have the last UPDATED versions of the sofware so woulnt do her any good. Other geeks going to work overseas, that's where the money is. I know my nephew graduated from Carnegie Mellon. His buddys are in Hong Kong. They took the jobs away, the interest is double on school loans and nobody is investing in priamary schools- we failed across the world. http://www.parenting.com/article/failing-public-schools Is it all the rich people's fault NO but they hold the reigns don't they? Some like B.Gates etc spend millions to help education and bring the few into better than middle class stature, but for the most part,,, we are creating an economic lower class. Even 5 huge CEOs said on tv, we do not have the education or innovation to handle the work therefore even if wanted to,,, the knowhow is OS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies