Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,966,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The problem with your argument is that those really are the fringe democrats where as the Birther movement seems to poll very high among the majority of republicans, not just their fringe, the same with the other Obama conspiracies. THAT is the difference.
You hit the nail on the head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,704,750 times
Go over to the most ridiculous thread to hit CD in a while, the "Why arent there more photos of Sandy Hook" one, and see how many of the bloodchugging conspiracy wacks are dems or 'liberals'.
The only reason not to believe repubs and t-baggers arent more prone to swiftboating, truthers, birthers, obama-gonna-git-yer-guns is because you believe that nonsense yourself

Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,361,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm a "liberal" and I never heard of "truthers" until I joined CD. NOT ONE of my liberal friends believes that nonsense. The truthers are a very small subset, and some of them are just plain nuts.
What about Michael Moore? What about that "Loose Change" video, the one that used Wikipedia as its source, that was viral in the mid 2000s?

Old 01-26-2013, 06:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,966,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
There are extremists and nut jobs of all persuasions, and they stretch far beyond politics alone.
I really dislike this intellectually vacuous attempts to appear "even handed" by using false equivalencies. "Oh, they both do it" when one side does it literally all the time on just about every issue while the other side has one lone nut who does it and that guy gets torn apart by people on his own side for being a nutter. Your attempts to appear even handed and above the fray just expose that you're ignoring the problem of scale and how one side does it CONSTANTLY on just about every issue while the other side actively works against the conspiracy nuts.

Sorry, but such "even handed" statements just don't cut the mustard and they show a complete lack of both understanding of the situation as well as any desire to ever actual understand. These false equivalences are as intellectually empty as they are dishonest.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,210,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Are we forgetting that those on the fringe wing of the liberal spectrum were conspiracy theorists during GWB's years. I remember liberals accusing then governor of Florida, Jeb Bush, of conspiring to steal the election on behalf of his brother. You remember when liberals implicated GWB in the 9/11 attacks? Even today, some on the fringe left believe oil was behind the Iraq invasion.

I'm a liberal, but you must not deny the fact that conspiracy nuts exist on both sides.
Brother(or sister) - I am a conservative.

Rule #1 of politics - never state that your party or ideology is wrong - or affiliate them with anything negative.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:53 PM

10,190 posts, read 8,025,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I really dislike this intellectually vacuous attempts to appear "even handed" by using false equivalencies. "Oh, they both do it" when one side does it literally all the time on just about every issue while the other side has one lone nut who does it and that guy gets torn apart by people on his own side for being a nutter. Your attempts to appear even handed and above the fray just expose that you're ignoring the problem of scale and how one side does it CONSTANTLY on just about every issue while the other side actively works against the conspiracy nuts.

Sorry, but such "even handed" statements just don't cut the mustard and they show a complete lack of both understanding of the situation as well as any desire to ever actual understand. These false equivalences are as intellectually empty as they are dishonest.

Anyone that believes one side does it more than the other is just plain ignorant.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM

29,744 posts, read 16,828,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What about Michael Moore? What about that "Loose Change" video, the one that used Wikipedia as its source, that was viral in the mid 2000s?
What about Michael Moore ? More context is needed.

I saw loose change( or atleast one part of it), not sure of your argument there.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:56 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,600,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think Michael Moore is a dolt, and I don't know or care what he thinks about anything. The last of his movies I watched was "Bowling for Columbine" where it was obvious he formed his conclusion first and then made the facts fit that.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,361,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What about Michael Moore ? More context is needed.

I saw loose change( or atleast one part of it), not sure of your argument there.
Loose Change was the most popular 9/11 truther documentary. Fahrenheit 9/11, by Michael Moore, was a more satirical version of it but loved by liberals nonetheless. Paul Begala on CNN believed Bush was complicit in 9/11. 9/11 trutherism was far more prevalent on the left than you guys want to admit.

I imagine most people in this site were too young in 2003 and 2004 to really remember or be into politics at that time, but it was probably more widespread than birtherism, plus it was endorsed by many in the media so of course it was more politically correct to question the official story of 9/11 than it is to question Obama's birth country.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,454,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Go over to the most ridiculous thread to hit CD in a while, the "Why arent there more photos of Sandy Hook" one, and see how many of the bloodchugging conspiracy wacks are dems or 'liberals'.
The only reason not to believe repubs and t-baggers arent more prone to swiftboating, truthers, birthers, obama-gonna-git-yer-guns is because you believe that nonsense yourself
I didn't notice liberals supporting conspiracy theories in that thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies