Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,196,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the 2nd part of the 2nd is totally seperate from the 1st part by that little comma.
No it's not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 04:28 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,314,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
No it's not

actually it is, learn proper grammer. the comma seperates the 2 parts and makes them different.

Quote:
Rule 1

To avoid confusion, use commas to separate words and word groups with a series of three or more.

Quote:
Rule 12

Use a comma to separate two strong clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction--and, or, but, for, nor. You can omit the comma if the clauses are both short.
http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM

18,354 posts, read 26,704,510 times
States' rights are a means to an end, a way of making people more free, but states' rights never extend to infringing on protected rights. The second amendment applies to the states as well as the federal government.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:03 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,196,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
actually it is, learn proper grammer. the comma seperates the 2 parts and makes them different.

Commas | Punctuation Rules
I know grammar (and mechanics) very well. I was raised by a grammar teacher, and I was previously employed as an editor of Ph.D dissertations.

And would you do me a favor and learn proper spelling? "Grammer" and "seperates" are not spelled correctly in your post. Also, you misused a comma, didn't capitalize the beginning words of your sentences, and you should write "two," not "2."

Old 01-16-2013, 07:30 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,959,470 times
I'm sorry, nobody is taking away anybody's second amendment rights. The right to bear arms does not guarantee anybody the right to own military assault rifles and ammo clips enabling the firing of hundred rounds per minute.

Only 4% of gun owners actually belong to the NRA. The NRA represents gun manufacturers. You know, those corporate giants who simply want more & more guns sold. Anybody who thinks that the NRA represents the rights of gun owners shouldn't be trusted with a gun in the first place.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:09 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,966,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
Sure do. Does that mean the state is allowed to destroy part of the constitution?
Only an idiot would claim that regulating firearms is against the constitution. The second amendment itself mentions a well regulated militia. It's an integral part of the second amendment even if you prefer to ignore what the constitution actually says.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:35 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,771,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And just because a few thousand citizens want Texas to secede (a procedure that is nowhere described in the Constitution and may very well be unconstitutional) doesn't mean the entire state and the people in that state think the same.
1. It wasn't a few thousand it was over 100k. 2. The people are supposed to elect officials who keep their best interest in mind and they would be the ones who vote for secession or not. If the officials can't do their jobs correctly then they need replaced and if a dictator like we have now refuses to accept the will of the people of a certain state then it will be war.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
But...but...but...what about states rights? I though you conservos are all for states rights...

You can't have it both ways...Just sayin'
Already covered this. Good thing you read all the replies there kiddo.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I know grammar (and mechanics) very well. I was raised by a grammar teacher, and I was previously employed as an editor of Ph.D dissertations.

And would you do me a favor and learn proper spelling? "Grammer" and "seperates" are not spelled correctly in your post. Also, you misused a comma, didn't capitalize the beginning words of your sentences, and you should write "two," not "2."

whoopee, correcting my grammer problems just shows that you are just plain wrong in your information concerning the 2nd Amendment.

it is really funny that democrats and even some republicans will make sure all grammer is proper in all the other amendments, but when it comes to the 2nd Amendment, they conviently forget the commas in the 2nd Amendment.

how hypocritical alot of people really are.

also i rarely capitalize anything on the forum, and spell check just does wont work for me on this forum for some odd reason, even the built in one.

it just goes to show how iliterate some people are when it comes to the Constitution.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM

25,966 posts, read 16,758,219 times
We could restrict the sale of ammo to one hour a week and random times. That would not be messing with your 2nd amendment.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
We could restrict the sale of ammo to one hour a week and random times. That would not be messing with your 2nd amendment.

sure, we could restrict your freedom of speech the same way, 1 time a month and only between the hours of midnight and 4am, and only 1 time a month.

that should make you feel good about imiting your civil liberties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies