Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 09:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,269,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
The repub should blast the threat from the pres for using the media to talk through a screen to the negotiation.

Then...they should make a broadcast outlining the huge effect on the market, the 2% will cause which will effect everyone(dividend consequence), show growth issues re the 2%...value of the 2%...billions leaving the country every hour re the 2%....and then the severe collapsing economy if the 98% is not signed off now. Sign the 98% off and then make very clear the absolutely unprecedented recklessness toward an issue of this nature in a closed arm media demand like a child who thinks that a singular approach is all that is important, holding the pen up, going on shows communicating thats anything but respectful of financial concerns the right has....and sign the 98 off with an expectation that the immaturity is not repeated and further bargaining issues are met in a deserving, normal adult tone.
So the Republicans should resort to scare tactics? Don't they already do that now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 09:43 PM

39,906 posts, read 26,611,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
People didn't have a problem paying that in the Clinton Era and we were doing good then.
Then lets let the cuts expire for everyone, and let the Dems take full credit. I actually paid taxes in the Clinton era. I remember the "marriage penalty" all too well. The huge (by my standards) checks I had to write in April under those rates, especially after getting married. I had to frickin' borrow money on my c-card to make tax payments, since my withholding was set for when I was single most of the year. No, it wasn't good. I actually dug out my old returns after the BTCs went into effect in the early 2000s and ran the numbers under the Clinton rates (with my current income). The difference was several thousand dollars, on a lower middle class income. IIRC, I read that the average household will pay some $2200 more per year if Obama raises taxes as scheduled. That is a very large portion of my annual discretionary income.

Still, I'm willing to pay if, if that is what it takes to provide an education the American voter seems to need.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 12-05-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,808,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Do you mean that if they let them expire they can blame the GOP and then in a few months pass the same rates again? I have no doubt that something like this is what the Dems have in mind.

Yep, go over and higher taxes on everyone. Then President Barack Obama can save us and then be our God, our Savior.

lol it's like watching a bad movie where you can tell what the end is at the beginning.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
So the Republicans should resort to scare tactics? Don't they already do that now?
No scare tactics, just the truth. I realize you probably can't recognize it, we haven't heard it out of the mouth of the president in the last 4 years.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,092,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The so-called "Bush Tax Cuts" are about to expire. When passed, the Republican controlled congress wanted to make them permanent for all Americans. Yet to appease Dems, they agreed to allow them to expire in 10 years if nothing was done to correct the situation.

The house has passed numerous bills that would extend them or make them permanent. Yet our petulant president is threatening to veto any extension of these cuts, unless he gets the chance to punish the top 2 percent of income earners.

What do you think...will he throw a wittle tantrum and toss 98% of America under the bus if he doesn't get his way? Honestly...I don't really care. American voted for Democrats, let them enjoy the tax increases they bring. Maybe people will finally understand that elections have consequences.

So, where will you cut back to pay the extra ~$200 per month in taxes, brought to you courtesy of Obama?
Aren't hey the obama tax rates since he was the last to sign for them?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,808,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Then lets let the cuts expire for everyone, and let the Dems take full credit. I actually paid taxes in the Clinton era. I remember the "marriage penalty" all too well. The huge (by my standards) checks I had to write in April under those rates, especially after getting married. No, it wasn't good. I actually dug out my old returns after the BTCs went into effect in the early 2000s and ran the numbers under the Clinton rates (with my current income). The difference was several thousand dollars, on a lower middle class income. IIRC, I read that the average household will pay some $2200 more per year if Obama raises taxes. That is a very large portion of my annual discretionary income.

Still, I'm willing to pay if, if that is what it takes to provide an education the American voter seems to need.
I remember the marriage penalty too. Married in august and slammed with taxes the year. Nice way to start out.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,092,486 times
Quote:
People didn't have a problem paying that in the Clinton Era and we were doing good then.
Thanks to Reagan's policies before him.

Lets go back to the spending levels of the Gingrich years too!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I remember the marriage penalty too. Married in august and slammed with taxes the year. Nice way to start out.
I was in September. My withholding was at the single rate for 9 months, but I got the pleasure of the marriage penalty for the entire year. Yeah, things were great back then.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,138,812 times
Quote:
hmm

Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,269,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Thanks to Reagan's policies before him.

Lets go back to the spending levels of the Gingrich years too!
I'm fine with that cause it would cut our bloated defense budget in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies