Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,561,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You're possibly right. Most of us conservatives have abandoned ship. But having lived there during the vote, it was latinos that tipped the scales.
And now latinos support gay marriage. I am latino, or part latino. My family is Mexican for the most part and they all support my marriage to my partner and call him a relative. His familiy is latino too and also support our marriage. Latinos and Blacks were swayed by all of the ads that promoted lies to get their votes. Even the Mormon church knew they screwed up and have tried desparately to back track from their participation in Prop H8.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,562,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And now there is precedence to have STATE DOMA laws struck down.
Or also a precedence to have Prop 8 rewritten in different verbage that passes constitutional requiremetns.

The issue isnt going away anytime soon. Its far from a victory for either side.. 5 years from now we'll still be debating it.

76,959 posts, read 48,154,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So no legislation can pass that's not in accordance with the tenets of every conceivable faith held by any taxpayer anywhere? Is that the basis of your victimization complex?
Why is there a law which makes it illegal to use tax money to support abortion? Because many americans find it immoral, and forcing people to pay for something which they consider immoral is tyranny.

We need to expand the Hyde Amendment to cover gay marriages.

30,975 posts, read 21,879,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Michele Bachmann:

"Marriage was created by the hand of God. No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted."

So was God against man marrying more than one woman? If not, how did the Supreme Court undo that kind of marriage for Mormons?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM

991 posts, read 1,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But at one time, that was considered the norm, to not only sacrifce animals, but also people. Societies "progress", but this doesnt mean that when they did it, it was wrong.
My point is that all religions have wacky components to them...some of them completely absurd, and others even cruel and evil. Does this mean our society should be held hostage by the adherents of these religions because they feel threatened?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:26 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,705,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Or also a precedence to have Prop 8 rewritten in different verbage that passes constitutional requiremetns.

The issue isnt going away anytime soon. Its far from a victory for either side.. 5 years from now we'll still be debating it.
You'll still be debating it.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,505,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality. Period. It is (was) my constitutional right to live my life as dictated by my faith. That right has been thrown out the window.
I'll sacrifice a goat for you. After all, your god just loves the aroma of burnt flesh.

7,541 posts, read 6,316,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I pay taxes just like everyone else, and I do not appreciate my money used to kill babies, or to support immorality.
I pay taxes like everyone else, and I do not support christian nut jobs trying to legislate my vagina or support their twisted view of reality.

so, who's more right on the use of OUR money?

Oh yeah, the government. they can use the money as they please, because it's NO LONGER OUR MONEY.

1,160 posts, read 1,442,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So was God against man marrying more than one woman? If not, how did the Supreme Court undo that kind of marriage for Mormons?
God created Eve for Adam. One woman for one man. They were married for over 900 years without another woman in the marriage.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM

937 posts, read 1,142,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
And now latinos support gay marriage. I am latino, or part latino. My family is Mexican for the most part and they all support my marriage to my partner and call him a relative. His familiy is latino too and also support our marriage. Latinos and Blacks were swayed by all of the ads that promoted lies to get their votes. Even the Mormon church knew they screwed up and have tried desparately to back track from their participation in Prop H8.
I don't think we should make blanket statements about people being swayed based on Mormon ads. People voted according to what they believed. All of the monotheistic religions state that it's wrong for men to have sex with men and women to have sex with women.

When they went to the polls, they simply voted according to their belief system, nothing more and nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.