Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,072,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Scalia even says that this ruling will be used to rule on state cases in his dissent.
http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...2-307_g2bh.pdf
And I think the majority decision - the one that becomes case law - is very specific in the language used. I had to read it a couple of time to make sure. In fact, if you listen to legal experts, they are saying much of the same thing now. This ruling did not make a clear path to same sex marriage for all states. In fact, it hampers that. It does, however, let each state decide what is and is not a marriage.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,324,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post

Every time I go to a hotel, I am going to finish on every bible I come across. (no pun intended)
Well, aren't you just the classiest guy around. Mom must be bursting with pride. Really. I hope you've told her all about C-D so she can share all of your posts with all her friends. "Look what I produced!! I can't believe he's all mine!"

Dad's probably bustin' his buttons too at what a fine young man he raised. Gosh, it probably butt hurts both of them that you're anonymous here and they can't tell America just how well they did raising you.

Why don't you just send 'em a text and ask them to join in on the fun. Three of you. What a treat! Each of you seeing who could be the most shocking and edgy.

Yawn.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:38 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,072,037 times
Quote:
I agree. I wonder if the mods could separate them again?
I know - right? That would be great. I enjoyed talking about the law and legal precedent set here. I do NOT care to wade through all of the childish insults.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,376,986 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrownVic95

So now that they've destroyed the meaning and
concept of marriage, they will be able to "marry". A lot like dropping a 2000
lb. wrecking ball on a car before you steal it.
We've had gay marriage for about a decade. It's been HELL! Heteros are dragged from their beds in the dead of night by jackbooted thugs and forced to marry someone of the same sex at gunpoint. Straights have to resort to a clandestine underground railroad, where for a large sum of money, they can be married by the captain of a cod-fishing boat in international waters.
Everyone is afraid. Who will be next? It's Armageddon, I tell you!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:41 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,995,641 times
Quote:
I am not talking about the FF&C clause. I am talking about individual states being taken to court using the precedence of the federal DOMA case. Just about every reason used to rule the federal DOMA law unconstitutional, also would apply to state DOMA laws.

The 5th amendment applies to state laws.
The 14th amendment applies to state laws.

I don't see a sweeping supreme court ruling for a long time.
I think that Southbel is accurate with her interpretation. It's why Newsweek's opin on this was that the Supreme Court took the coward's path out, and it's why many pro-same-sex-marriage advocates are saying that this isn't a decisive decision. The Court said the STATES have the power to determine who can marry, that the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT has to defer to states. So the States that allow same-sex marriage have to have those marriages recognized by the federal government. That's not to say that other states have to recognize those marriages. The Supreme Court affirmed that it was up to the states, and so DOMA is gone.

But they refused to weigh in on Prop 8 itself, and simply ruled that the plaintiffs had no standing.

The Court could have ruled that denying same-sex couples the right to marry is Unconstitutional in the same way that denying interracial couples the right to marry is Unconstitutional. Which would have voided state laws against same-sex marriage, the same way the Loving decision voided state laws against interracial marriage. But that's not the path they took.

So the battles now will have to be state by state. It's going to take time and effort to get same-sex marriages recognized in every state.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:49 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,498,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Capitalization of both nouns and pronouns that refer to God, has been the common rule in the English language, ever since there had been an English language. It's hardly "weird".

About the only people who don't know that, are those who got their entire education from cartoons and video games, and texting.

Or those who have no education at all.

(Is that redundant?)
Now let's talk about those who have a compulsive need to spell "Obama" with a 0 instead of an O. Talk about uneducated.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:50 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,866,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
And the US constitution is the specific body that tells them what to do.
No it's not- it should be but it isn't. We have something similar in Canada. The Charter Of Rights And Freedoms...it is trampled upon everyday in the courts. It is ignored - it is put through the torture of being twisted and convoluted beyond recognition. I can't believe your judiciary is any different than ours. There is no law that ensures judges translate the constitution accurately..They can take that thing and twist till it is not even a shadow of what it was meant to be when written. The constitution is not a "specific body" It is a document carved in stone...and the judges are chiselers.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:53 PM

295 posts, read 360,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Hopefully, all of the preachers of the gospel are going to continue to preach the truth of what God has said in His Word.
As long as they continue making velvet-lined collection plates and Detroit's pumping out Cadillacs, there will continue to be old, fat guys bloviating hate from pulpits on Sunday morning.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,526,072 times
Let's see how long it takes for other forms of marriage to be legalized.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:54 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,279,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I know - right? That would be great. I enjoyed talking about the law and legal precedent set here. I do NOT care to wade through all of the childish insults.
Interesting perspective from the fox news legal commentator, He said that ALL federal benefits would be given to same sex couples regardless of where they live if they are legally married in a state where it is allowed. Also that companies that do business with the government in those states will have to provide benefits to married same sex couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies