Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 08:51 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
The examples I've seen so far include: states expanding their park system, and people having the zoning of their property changed so that they can't make big $$, by selling to a developer who wants to turn their property into more sprawl.
State parks are for communists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:02 AM

5,520 posts, read 9,545,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Good examples. All of which limit our freedoms. Do you all see how that is? local and federal government telling us what we can and cannot do with OUR property;
How does this relate to Agenda 21? My examples have been around for the last 100 years. For example, are you free to open a toxic waste dump on your land? If so, would you want your neighbor to open one?

Quote:
government taking our land under guise of "greater good", sometimes turning it over to a commercial operation ("it'll bring more revenue to the town");
I'm on the fence about the use of eminent domain for commercial development. If it's done at all, it should be rarely.

Quote:
do you have a "smart meter" on your house that the utility said they had to install? Congratulations. You're on your way to being grist for the mill (if you're not already).
No, but why are they bad?

Quote:
Not just states "expanding their park system", but the federal government buying up vast areas of land. That may sound good to some, but what's the result? Less land areas for people to expand into, develop, build homes and businesses (a/k/a "pursuit of happiness"). More land areas (and natural resources) the government has control over.
Why must "pursuit of happiness" equal continued urban sprawl? I don't see a problem with preserving more land, to prevent it from being damaged by more suburban sprawl.

Quote:
Just some examples. Would you like being forced into a "dense urban community"? How would you like living down the hall from an indoor mall, or upstairs over the grocery market? Or, waiting for the bus at 5 am because you aren't allowed to have a car, and you work the early shift? For that matter, how would you like coming home on the bus at midnight because you work the late shift? There's nothing wrong with public transportation *if* it's my choice. There's everything wrong with it if the governing body tells me I have to use it.
Who is forcing anyone to do anything? This is why I always find these threads so amusing. We jump from eminent domain, land preservation, and zoning (which government has been doing for about 100 years now) to forcing people to give up their cars and imprisoning them in tiny apartments in huge mega cities. I can't see the logical connection, so I can't help but laugh.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 AM

37,838 posts, read 41,190,445 times
Agenda 21 For Dummies:

Agenda 21 For Dummies - YouTube

Old 07-04-2013, 12:43 PM

5,520 posts, read 9,545,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Agenda 21 For Dummies:

Agenda 21 For Dummies - YouTube
I watched the whole thing. It didn't answer any of my questions. Moreover, it looked like a bunch of BS.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
I watched the whole thing. It didn't answer any of my questions. Moreover, it looked like a bunch of BS.
It is..... Just a bunch of rednecks upset their many cars in disarray across their lawns will need like 25 mpg now......

Old 07-05-2013, 12:17 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,957,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Of course it exists..... It is a voluntary program that your community can become a part of it voluntarily chooses to do so...... How scary...........
Not sure scary is relevant. Why would you bring that up?
Voluntary is relative. Voluntary for whom?
The issues with this program have been how they have been implemented and their effects. Do you have say-so or not?
Local communities certainly should have say-so over what effects them and how it occurs.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:45 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,957,931 times
Quote:
Do you have questions? The way AG21 is implemented varies, but how it effects people and what say-so they have in it is relevant as far as I am concerned. The details matter. Yes zoning, eminent domain etc... have been around. Those too can become problems. AG21 can be discussed because it is in fact a standard plan on paper. Focusing on whether you think it is different from what the current trends have been seem irrelevant, but rather whether you are happy with what occurs or have say-so.

Rosa was or is a forensic real estate examiner, I believe , for her state. She stumbled on this whole plan in the course of her job, realizing that as it was being implemented individuals were no longer able to do things with their so-called own property.
Not understanding that or not being concerned about that is likely not going to be resolved unless someone chooses to do so. Sometimes people simply don't care about such things ever or until they rain on their own little parade.

The Master Plan is important in local AG21 implementations.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post25374866

Old 07-05-2013, 12:49 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,394,464 times
Redistribution of wealth and health.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Not sure scary is relevant. Why would you bring that up?
Because there seems to be a lot of unnecessary fear.

Quote:
Voluntary is relative. Voluntary for whom?
The issues with this program have been how they have been implemented and their effects. Do you have say-so or not?
Local communities certainly should have say-so over what effects them and how it occurs.
Let's just take a step back. Why do you think we have roads everywhere? Why are there things such as zoning and ordinances that prevent you from doing whatever you want with your land? Voluntary is certainly relative, especially where you draw your lines.

Local communities will be no different, your vote will still count the same.

People also need to realize that 4 out of 5 people live in urban areas now, meaning as classified by the US Census as non rural and including suburban areas. Therefore, the direction reflects that.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:11 AM

17,439 posts, read 28,711,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Just some examples. Would you like being forced into a "dense urban community"? DependsHow would you like living down the hall from an indoor mall, or upstairs over the grocery market?It would be fine with me Or, waiting for the bus at 5 am because you aren't allowed to have a car, and you work the early shift? For that matter, how would you like coming home on the bus at midnight because you work the late shift? There's nothing wrong with public transportation *if* it's my choice. There's everything wrong with it if the governing body tells me I have to use it..
As long as buses are available and running, it's OK...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies