Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,242,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's the Salem witch trials all over again. I'm not on Zimmerman's side, I was always in the camp of 'let's see all of the evidence first and get the facts straight' but it is crystal clear that some of these people do not want a fair and impartial trial.

I remember the night that ABC released the video of him being led into the police station and the outcry was tremendous. People swore to the holy heavens that Zimmerman looked cleaner than the day he was born. The way diehard Trayvon advocates were talking you would have thought the man appeared as if he had just spent a day in a Turkish spa.

Then a week or so later, the photo of the back of his head was shown and the response was " what? those little scratches? that's nothing!"

Then a few days ago (months later) they showed the front view of the man with a bloodied lip and nastrols and two streams of blood coming out of his nose with a large knot on the left side and now it's been deemed once again that "it aint that bad!"

Now some some of these people have upgraded the standards to vital organs should be hanging out as he's carried on a stretcher. lol....god get over it...the man, was for the most part probably in a fight with the kid, just as he said he was from the jump. Whether grey aliens from the planet zeta centuri landed after the shooting and knocked him in his face is anybody's guess....but for all that we know and what we can prove, the man looks as if he were in a fight with somebody.

I gotta side with Zimmerman on this particular point, you just can't win with some of these folks.
Having reviewed all of the injury photos made public thus far, I just fail to see how the injuries depicted therein corroborate with his assertion that he was being beaten "within in inch of his life". I think it is entirely possible that Zimmerman has been overstating the degree to which he actually felt his life was in danger in order to provide some framework for his defense.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
I personally think if Sanford police had done a better job this issue wouldn't have gotten such media attention. But it just seems like they did half ass work until the cameras showed up. That will probably work in Zimmermans favor in the end.

When I first heard this case my first thought was "why would you follow someone who you think looks crazy or like they're on drugs" I can see observing them, calling the police and even keeping an general eye out for the direction they're going but I'm not going to leave my car to look for a crazy person.

The only answer I ever came up with is because you have a gun. Your gun is your Superman cloak, so you run into a potentially dangerous situation because you know you can shoot your way out. That's why I have an issue with Stand Your Ground....it allows you to control the situation because if it gets out of hand you can then be "afraid for your life" and start shooting.

I have two friends that carry concealed weapons (legally) and I can always tell when they have it because they are much less responsive to certain situations. They'll walk away before they engage in something that could possibly lead to an argument or physical fight.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:55 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
One thing for certain after 19 pages of this thread, NOBODY on this board has all the facts. But that doesn't stop very many people from passing judgement.

Fortunately, we have courts and lawyers and trials to sort this out BEFORE declaring somebody guilty or not guilty.

And people like George Zimmerman who decide they're entitled to play judge, jury and executioner; he didn't have a bit of trouble passing judgement on Trayvon Martin, with no sign that Martin was engaged in any criminal activity. Zimmerman doesn't pass that "purity" test himself, but that doesn't stop people from choosing to overlook his legal problems and try to blame a dead teen instead. Where is the compassion for a kid who won't go to prom, graduate high school, attend college or marry? If we're going to live in a country where it's acceptable to kill someone because they've bested you in a fist fight, there will be a sharp rise in such cases and more deaths as a result.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
Having reviewed all of the injury photos made public thus far, I just fail to see how the injuries depicted therein corroborate with his assertion that he was being beaten "within in inch of his life". I think it is entirely possible that Zimmerman has been overstating the degree to which he actually felt his life was in danger in order to provide some framework for his defense.
lol of course you "fail to see it"....like I said the standards have been upgraded. I think some of the folks here need to see the man with his vital organs hanging out before they even consider him in the right at that moment.

I on the other hand disagree that you need to be "one inch from death" to use lethal force during a physical struggle. If a guy is knocking me in the face, and slamming my head I am not going to wait until I am partially unconscious and permanently disfigured before I pull out the gat. Law or no law...I'm shootin and guaranteeing my day in court.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post

The only answer I ever came up with is because you have a gun. Your gun is your Superman cloak, so you run into a potentially dangerous situation because you know you can shoot your way out. That's why I have an issue with Stand Your Ground....it allows you to control the situation because if it gets out of hand you can then be "afraid for your life" and start shooting.
Exactly.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:11 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Very well....you are fully agreeing to all points in my post other then this above.

Therefore I will maintain that all the stuff he was doing is inconsequential to the "fact that he was in the process of trying to kill Zimmerman, we know this.

The only believable reason for this to be so, is if Zimmerman could in fact identify him, correct..?

Therefore the only motive possible is that Zimmerman posed a threat to him due to what he was doing there. Also, in the 7-11 tape T is referring to and acknowledging someone outside the window while he's at the cash...and its cut short.

It Appears my entry stands where remarkably an innocent man was somehow able to stop a murderous crime is the obvious. People everywhere should be thanking God it did not happen and the guy was able to save his life. Seeing the blows to the nose area makes it a miracle deserving of thanks to God. Anything else is an insult.
Actually I view your post as comedy, senility, a drug induced fog or just plain stupidity.

Quote:
Therefore I will maintain that all the stuff he was doing is inconsequential to the "fact that he was in the process of trying to kill Zimmerman, we know this.
Yes, what he was doing was inconsequential; he was simply walking back to his father's girlfriends house.
Zimmerman chose to interpret this as suspicious behavior, walking..

Actually he was in the process of defending himself against a stranger that was following him and produced a handgun. Zimmerman did this after being instructed by police dispatch not to approach Trayvon and after Zimmerman's comment that "They always get away".

So just as you were proven wrong as to your assertion that Trayvon was "trespassing", it's par that you are wrong on your following assertions.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:17 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So Zimmerman attacks the kid, the kid defends himself and fights off Zimmerman, and then Zimmerman decided to shoot him because he lost the fight against the kid he attacked, gotcha.
You have it backwards. All of the evidence shows that Zimmerman had every right to be where he was, he was not doing anything illegal. Zimmerman was leaving the area when Tryvon attacked him, forcing Zimmernan to defend himself and shoot him when the kid started pounding his head on the concrete and Zimmerman feared for his life.

Tryvon did this to Zimmerman, Zimmerman had every right to defend himself.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/US/ap_g...1204_wblog.jpg

Old 12-04-2012, 05:18 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Legally (according to Florida Law anyway) no employer can prohibit a licensed gun owner with a concealed weapons permit from carrying a gun unless there's a law prohibiting it, i.e., the establishment serves alcoholic beverages, it's a school, playground, airport, etc.

Still, many Sheriff Departments have pointed out that no NW member is allowed to carry a gun or even follow a suspicious looking person. All the brochures distributed in Florida clearly point out (in writing with pictures) that the only duty of a NW volunteer (even the captain) is to watch & report.

So the bottom line is that Zimmerman was acting as a private citizen when he following Martin. Legally he was able to have the gun in his car. No company or group can tell a licensed gun owner he/she cannot keep a gun in the glove box AFAIK. Once he stepped out of the car and began following someone, Zimmerman broke every NW rule. However, I don't think that will have anything to do with his trial or whether or not he's convicted.
Silliness, if I go into a business and the owner or other representative tells a cpl holder that no firearms are permitted on the premises, you are saying that the cpl holder has the lawful authority to tell the business owner or employer to take a hike and them proceed to enter the property. Sorry doesn't work that way.

I never stated that one could not keep a firearm in their car, I stated that your cpl does not over ride a businesses right to prohibit cpl holders from bringing firearms onto their property.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
George Zimmerman was explicitly told by police NOT to follow Martin. He chose to ignore their instructions. Had he listened to police, he wouldn't have been bloodied, and Martin wouldn't have died. Zimmerman created the situation that resulted in his injuries and Martin's death.
Zimmerman had every right to be where he was regardless of what the police dispatcher advised him to do. And he was leaving the area when Tryvon attacked him. Zimmerman had every right to defend himself. http://abcnews.go.com/images/US/ap_g...1204_wblog.jpg

Old 12-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Gosh, this is real easy:

Black kid walks through neighborhood.

There are two possibly outcomes:
1.) Zimmerman spots him and keeps on driving.
2.) Zimmerman spots him and confronts him.

In scenario 1.), Zimmerman goes home, Martin goes home.
In scenario 2.) one possible outcome is exactly what we got here.

What, you may ask, caused scenario 2.)? Easy: Zimmerman did. Had he never stalked Martin, we would have never read about this event nor would we be writing threads about it. Zimmerman, however, initiated actions and thus, he is ultimately to blame for the escalation of events.

His actions led to an exchange and, eventually, to an escalation. Stalking somebody who "looks suspicious" is certainly no reason to aggressively confront them to the point where there is a physical altercation. Call the cops, stand back. The End.
There is no evidence that Zimmerman confronted Tryvon, much less that he did so aggressively. All of the evidence points to Tryvon assaulting Zimmerman, who then had to defend himself, as he had every right to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies