Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:25 PM

629 posts, read 946,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Having a baby should not be a way to get out of having to work for your living. Working women return to work in 6 weeks. These mothers having the babies so they can get the free housing, free health care, free food, free utilities and free cash besides are perfectly young and able-bodied. They are exactly the able-bodied types who are on welfare.
In the perfect Miriam-maneuver world, women would leave their babies in subsidized day care, then get a job at that day care so they can actually care for their own children without being slammed for being on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:28 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
But if you work hard for your living, you might get $2000 a month and have to buy your own food, pay for transportation, electric bills, rent, telephone, and pay for insurance.

If you choose the welfare life you spend nothing on food, utilities, housing, health care -- and you get $400 cash besides. Why work? Just lay back and do nothing with yourself and you come out way ahead.
People who "work hard" for a living making $2000 a month qualify for foodstamps if they are a single mom/dad with 2 kids. They qualify for HEAP assistance, they qualify for the phones, they qualify for medicaid, they qualify for section 8. They qualify for everything that the welfare person is getting except the actual cash, that is why people who are on welfare usually get off so quickly. They want more money.

Also, $400 is nothing per month with 2 kids. Do you have kids? My kids eat more than $400 a month and most people on SNAP (foodstamps) usually don't get enough benefit to pay for a full month's groceries. My aunt was between jobs last year and applied and got foodstamps. She has 2 kids. Her foodstamp benefit for all 3 of them was a little over $200 a month. She wasn't on welfare. I had to give her money to buy more food for her kids. She is an RN by trade BTW and currently has a job making in excess of $60K per year but the job market was hard for her to find a new job and she had to bury her pride and apply for that assistance. She also got Medicaid for them for a couple months. She has neither now and doesn't want it and would rather have her $60K per year job and her company medical plan that she has to pay for because even after paying for that, she has WAY more than $280 a month that welfare would pay her for her 2 kids. She doesn't live in Section 8 housing, all over the country Section 8 rolls are closed, no new people can be admitted, her rent is $1000 a month, what is that $280 going to do for her in that situation? She was happy that with her first check from her new job she could catch up on her rent, she was 4 months behind, that's what having a job will do for you, give you money to pay your rent and bills.

You are acting like these people are sitting around getting rich off $400 a month. I save more than that per month and don't do anything with it and can't imagine living off so little with my 2 kids.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
There is no good reason to give the welfare crowd free cash. All their basic needs for food, shelter and health care are met with all the other government programs.
No they are not. Many people on welfare do not stay in public housing or have Section 8 vouchers. I work in housing, unless you had these sorts of services previously, your chances are slim to none in getting them, which is a shame in today's economy that people who lost homes and jobs cannot get any sort of housing assistance, only apartments that base rent on income, and in those instances, they have to have an income and pay at least 30% of their income towards rent.

They will have Medicaid, but usually the adults will not have it. It is very hard for an adult to qualify for medicaid unless they are pregnant, disabled, or a senior.

You act like we are just throwing out benefits to everyone who comes in off the street. I have known plenty of people not get benefits, states are cutting back and not offering as much as they used to. Even though, as I said above, I am for major transformations in our social safety net programs, I know for a fact that not everyone who gets benefits is living some wonderful life with their government phones, which is also hilarious you mention them as if they have some Iphone or something, it is a tracphone, the ones you can buy at the dollar store for $20.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
In the perfect Miriam-maneuver world, women would leave their babies in subsidized day care, then get a job at that day care so they can actually care for their own children without being slammed for being on welfare.
Or maybe they could delay having children until they can afford them?

Having babies should not mean you get a life-long free ride. Or they could find husbands and fathers for those kids who will help provide for them.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Nobody is living like kings and queens on $400-700 a month unless maybe your definition of "king" is a bronze age nomad in a tent.

I'm interested in which barbaric methods you'd like to reinstate? Workhouses? Poor farms? Whipping? Stocks? Branding? Forced labor? Execution?
Well -- how much do you think the government dependent class can keep growing? What do you suppose happens when the whole thing collapses? There will come a point where the national debt will become too much -- what we're doing is not sustainable.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Having babies should not mean you get a life-long free ride. Or they could find husbands and fathers for those kids who will help provide for them.
I agree with you there. But what is done is done. Do you want the children state raised in foster homes or orphanages?

Also, some people just make dumb decisions or mistakes and don't think about their consequences, all people do that at one time or another. And getting $280 for 5 years, I am going with the state of GA numbers, I live in GA, and that is for 2 kids, it is probably less than $200 for 1 "mistake" child, does not equate with a lifelong "free ride." LOL, I made more than that per month as a teenager, ironically babysitting for the aunt I mentioned above when she worked 3rd shift at a hospital. She paid me $100 a week to watch her oldest son, it was good money and I was paid better than a "welfare mom" for basically just putting him in the bed and watching TV until I fell asleep.

ETA: Just did the calculations on what I would get as a single mom with 2 kids (I'm a married mom with 2 kids so if something tragic happened and I had to go on welfare). Over the course of those 5 years I would get a total of around $16800. LOL and sad at the same time. I currently make about three times that amount in one year.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:53 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, that should tell you that your entitlement programs will NEVER get people back to work.

Entitlement programs should not offer more than what working for a living provide.
When you say entitlement programs, are you talking about all the tax loopholes for the corporations and richest Americans?

I agree with that. History has proven that giving high income Americans tax breaks does not equal more jobs.

Good point.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:

They don't get a life-long free ride. Cash assistance has an upper limit and there is a requirement for work (seeking & training also). The people who have trouble getting off welfare in a good employment market are those at the margins of existence or who can't rely on living somewhere or getting someplace reliably (substance abuse or mental illness of a family member (or self), those with residence instability or domestic violence, those with transportation and childcare issues, etc.). In a tight job market it doesn't matter because they usually aren't competitive applicants compared to experienced workers on the market.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Well -- how much do you think the government dependent class can keep growing? What do you suppose happens when the whole thing collapses? There will come a point where the national debt will become too much -- what we're doing is not sustainable.
There was a huge decline in TANF recipients until the current recession/depression/economic mess and once we're out of it no doubt the downward trend will continue. Welfare reform (1996) was actually quite successful at getting people off cash assistance and into jobs. I really don't understand, when experienced people who have worked for years are having trouble finding jobs, that you think it would be so easy for a poor person with little experience to find one. There aren't enough jobs for all the people right now. 10% unemployment in some places...that hasn't happened since the Reagan administration.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with you there. But what is done is done. Do you want the children state raised in foster homes or orphanages?

Also, some people just make dumb decisions or mistakes and don't think about their consequences, all people do that at one time or another. And getting $280 for 5 years, I am going with the state of GA numbers, I live in GA, and that is for 2 kids, it is probably less than $200 for 1 "mistake" child, does not equate with a lifelong "free ride." LOL, I made more than that per month as a teenager, ironically babysitting for the aunt I mentioned above when she worked 3rd shift at a hospital. She paid me $100 a week to watch her oldest son, it was good money and I was paid better than a "welfare mom" for basically just putting him in the bed and watching TV until I fell asleep.

ETA: Just did the calculations on what I would get as a single mom with 2 kids (I'm a married mom with 2 kids so if something tragic happened and I had to go on welfare). Over the course of those 5 years I would get a total of around $16800. LOL and sad at the same time. I currently make about three times that amount in one year.
Don't leave out the $800 to $1000 a month housing subsidies, the $600 free food, the Medicaid which pays all the doctor and hospital bills, the free utilities. That begins to add up to some real money.

No able bodied individual should expect to be given a free ride. 5 years of free money in addition to all the other other freebies is ridiculous -- working women having a baby expect about 6 weeks off to recuperate, why should welfare queens think they must be given 5 years paid maternity leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies