Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM

629 posts, read 946,651 times

Advertisements

Yes, my former company would be delighted to sell your library/university easy, indexed, aggregated, and play-with-numbers tables of all those stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,006,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I don't know about Texas but in a lot of California the unemployment rate is 10% or more. Nice place to throw the destitute on the labor market to sink or swim...
Texas' unemployment rate 7% or lower.

The benefits of living in a pro business state.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 PM

629 posts, read 946,651 times
Our unemployment in this metro area is 5% ish and we are shockingly blue.

I'm glad it is so low here because my hard-working husband just got laid off. It is to cry.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Texas' unemployment rate 7% or lower.

The benefits of living in a pro business state.
Benefits of living in a state racing to the bottom.

Rick Perry and his Texas jobs boom: The whole story - Aug. 12, 2011

Old 09-19-2012, 07:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
NEVER??? Considering the eligibility for "welfare" over a lifetime is FIVE years you'd have to be a mouse to believe that 5 years is eternity.
Some of you conveniently count only that one big free cash giveaway program as welfare but conveniently leave out the free house with free utilities, the free school meals, the free babysitting centers called head start -- also with free meals, the free health care, the free food stamps and much more that the welfare class receives. In fact if you qualify for one government handout program, you pretty much qualify for them all.

TANF should be eliminated completely, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to give the welfare reciepients cash in addition to all the other handouts they get.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
When you add up the free housing with all the free utilities, the free government provided cell phone servies, the free health care -- no premiums, no copays, no deductibles, the food stamps, WIC coupons, free meals at schools, free day care, the clothing allowance, welfare actually "pays" more than the average job --- more than $12 an hour, for many welfare recipients, welfare beats out working for $15 or $20 an hour.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:22 PM

437 posts, read 793,004 times
In the hiostory of the USA, people that needed welfare lined up at the courthouse for a handout on Saturday mornings. Plus their name was published in the local newspaper. Remember, that's redistribution. Obama has economized this process to in include 50% of his voters. Good Luck.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,098,661 times
All these moochers should Unionize, FORWARD!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 07:25 PM

635 posts, read 539,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrtx View Post
In the hiostory of the USA, people that needed welfare lined up at the courthouse for a handout on Saturday mornings. Plus their name was published in the local newspaper. Remember, that's redistribution. Obama has economized this process to in include 50% of his voters. Good Luck.
Not quite, not paying taxes doesn't mean you're on welfare. I claim my child on my taxes and get a credit for that - is that welfare?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Didn't read the whole thread but the link in the OP in some BS on "welfare." It actually was pretty funny that people believe it to.

Saw this below and it is true:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Since your source states that 19.6% have received Aid To Dependent Children (AFDC) for more than five years, would it be rude of me to point out that AFDC was repealed in 1996 and replaced by Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)?

AFDC had no time limit on benefits, TANF limits benefits to 5 years in a lifetime.
The OP link must be really old as AFDC is not around anymore. Also, in regards to actual TANF benefits, meaning a "welfare check" the highest amount I have ever seen in any state is MN and I think it is under $700 a month for a family of 3 (single mom with 2 kids), so to say that they are making more than minimum wage is some BS as well.

Let me dig around for highest TANF amounts per state.

Source: TANF Benefits Are Low and Have Not Kept Place with Inflation

From the source, there is a chart that shows the amount of benefits per state from 1996 to 2010. I was incorrect in that Alaska has the highest TANF benefits at $923 but it hasn't gone up since 1996. Also it is less than federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour for 40 hours per week which would gross you a little less than $1200 a month full time. None of the states have TANF benefits that surpass any minimum wage. Check out AL, the first one, their benefit is $215 a month. Screws you view of all the poverty stricken people living it up on all your hard earned money.

Tried to post the chart but I am not very techy and couldn't figure it out but you can hit the link and see all the data for TANF. They even have a chart that includes SNAP with TANF (SNAP is food stamps for those who don't know). Even with both of these lines of "income" together none of the states surpass the federal poverty level for their "welfare" recipients. Many of you need to get over on the whole welfare thing. Even though I do support restrictions to certain social programs, most importantly family public housing (I work in public housing, which is why I know about these programs, luckily we no longer have the PJs here in Atlanta for families and I think it is a good thing, we only have senior housing and disabled housing now). I think there needs to be adjustments made to Section 8, foodstamps, I think they should get rid of WIC completely. I have a lot of ideas about social services programs, but to say that people on welfare make more than people who work for minimum wage is a flat out lie.

Also people who get the other social services programs I mentioned, most of them work, so do not get TANF, you can only get TANF if you don't have a job and you cannot get unemployment benefits and you have dependent children. There are a lot of restrictions on TANF, which are good and which I think should be replicated in other social services programs. It is just mind boggling though that some of you people are so mad about someone getting $200-$400 a month, which is the average for TANF recipients especially when most of them are off of TANF within 2 years.

Also wanted to point out that the OP says that 15 million Americans are on TANF, that is not true either.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 09-19-2012 at 08:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies