Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,449,477 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, if we're allowed to pay people barely enough money to live, then there's going to be some obligation by society to keep a family from starving. So why not raise the minimum amount they're paid, and then we can make huge cuts to welfare while people who get out and work are rewarded by the private sector? Obviously the cost of goods will go up slightly, but isn't it preferable that your money goes to the poor directly through their employment instead of being filtered through layers of Government buildings, salaries, and pensions?

$13.50/hour, perhaps with some cost-of-living adjustment, and then trim SNAP by 1/2 and TANF by 2/3. Kill section 8 fully, the worst of the worst welfare, where a tiny fraction of the poor get to rent a place for <$150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,698,037 times
No. This is a terrible idea and it's one that a person who has no economic education would promote.

For starters the minimum wage is a bad thing, and raising it is only worse. It makes businesses increase their prices (leading to hyper inflation of our currency) and forces business to cut employees.

Cutting welfare I'm okay with, but it should be done smartly. For example I don't have a problem with short term welfare, but long term welfare is a definite no no. That's just being lazy, welfare should not be treated like a career choice as it so often is in this country. Exception to the mentally and physically disabled, society should take care of them.

Also you forget that some people fail to live within their means.

The best thing to do is to create a stronger economy and improve the value of our currency. This can be done by cutting taxes so business can grow and switch to a pure credit system only.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:22 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,891,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
No. This is a terrible idea and it's one that a person who has no economic education would promote.

For starters the minimum wage is a bad thing, and raising it is only worse. It makes businesses increase their prices (leading to hyper inflation of our currency) and forces business to cut employees.

Cutting welfare I'm okay with, but it should be done smartly. For example I don't have a problem with short term welfare, but long term welfare is a definite no no. That's just being lazy, welfare should not be treated like a career choice as it so often is in this country. Exception to the mentally and physically disabled, society should take care of them.
You are right, cut welfare and eliminate minimum wage altogether..

Old 09-23-2013, 09:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,698,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I added a few more to my post.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post

Then eliminate exclusionary zoning which inflates the price of housing.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:28 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,928,808 times
How about getting marketable skills so you can command a higher wage

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,955,728 times
I agree. We could start with, at least, having a minimum wage equal to about what the minimum wage was in the late 1960s, which is around $10 an hour, I think? Lot of brainwashed Boomers on here say the 1960s were the good ol' days, so what's wrong with having $10 per hour minimum wage then? That's what it was back then then in today's dollars. The economy didn't collapse then, did it, Libertarians? Quite the contrary, it was part of the most prosperous time in American history. But, we're told minimum wage is bad for the economy, bad for the Austrian School, etc. But, let's not let facts and history get in the way

Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,715,693 times
It's not surprising to see the "just dump the poor people over the cliff" brigade out this morning.

The key to any (moral) solution to the matter eliminating public assistance requires other measures that result in effectively full employment in living wage jobs. There is no magic bullet.

Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
How about getting marketable skills so you can command a higher wage

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

How about supporting capitalism and free markets?

Old 09-24-2013, 04:13 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,066,842 times
Get government out of business all together.

Allow producers to produce without the foot of government on their neck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies