Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 10:09 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This list, just shows how completely out of touch folks are with people who live in poverty. No one living in poverty is going on a plane, train, or any of those things. You rent a room in someone's house, no ID needed for utilities. You don't have a checking account, you live on a cash only basis, you are too broke and have too many credit problems to get a checking account. Social security comes to a gov account, and you have a debit card for that.

No car, no insurance. You are so absolutely clueless about poverty. You don't get medication, you have no insurance.

Are you begininning to understand? Clueless.
I happen to be very in touch with poverty. That does not preclude me from going on a plane, if someone else buys my ticket. I don't have a checking account, I don't have social security either. I happen to be a mental patient.
I have liability on my pick-up, my son pays for it. I live in my mom's house that is paid for, utilities are not in my name. How in touch with poverty are you? Get a Clue. I do have a valid ID though.

Last edited by tinynot; 09-08-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 10:11 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Oh noes!! A Noob, the worst thing a person can be.

On a board that seems like nothing but trolls somehow saying that old people are going to be disproportionately affected by voter ID laws is what you'd consider trolling?

Good luck trying to push this one past special interests groups like AARP who will never let this happen for the reasons I mentioned.
Give it a rest!

AARP is a 'Blow A Liberal' organization and as far as 'Them' not allowing something to happen or not happen .. it'll be interesting to see how they overrule a SC decision?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:17 PM

438 posts, read 1,531,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Government runs ads to get more people on food stamps - Jun. 25, 2012

25-66% scarcely seems "very, very few" to me.

There's 45 million people on food stamps and you're going to tell me there's another 90 million not applying that qualify?

That would bring the total to about 135 million people or nearly half the counties total population.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 PM

289 posts, read 396,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What do you mean by "let this happen" ? It's already happened. This law is already enforced in some states for years now and has been passed in others recently.
It's only happened in a couple of states before this year. This year has states going to court over the issue and losing.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Give it a rest!

AARP is a 'Blow A Liberal' organization and as far as 'Them' not allowing something to happen or not happen .. it'll be interesting to see how they overrule a SC decision?
LMAO.

A 'blow a liberal' organization. To think, you actually accused me of being a troll.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 PM

629 posts, read 946,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
There's 45 million people on food stamps and you're going to tell me there's another 90 million not applying that qualify?

That would bring the total to about 135 million people or nearly half the counties total population.
Those are USDA figures. They run the program. If you have better figures, you can link them.

Just re-read your post and you have it wrong. There are about 45 million people on SNAP which represent ~ 72% of eligibles, but it is unclear to me whether this percentage represents individuals or households. If the percentage applies to individuals, 45,000,000=0.72X where X = 62.5 million. So 62.5 million people or so are eligible.

The 66% non-utilization rate was for the elderly and those at the poverty line, not the entire SNAP-eligible population. The most likely households to use SNAP are those with children, for obvious reasons.

USDA report here.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/ora/MENU/Pub...thyAmerica.pdf

Last edited by Joykins; 09-08-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 10:36 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
This year has states going to court over the issue and losing.
Firstly voter ID laws have been ruled constitutional by SCOTUS. There is only two states I'm aware of that have lost in court, Texas where the DOJ blocked their law under the Voting Rights Act. Texas actually had to take the DOJ to court. There is only a few states that fall under this. This won't happen in PA. My opinion is ultimately Texas will win because it's a double standard.

The other is Wisconsin and that is out on appeal. In Wisconsin it only deals with the state courts.

On the other hand here in PA they have already lost one case and that is on appeal to the State Supreme Court.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:40 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,527 times
Quote:
LMAO.

A 'blow a liberal' organization. To think, you actually accused me of being a troll.
Funny .. I don't remember mentioning a name?

Are you 'outing' yourself?
Do you feel guilty?

Do you know how to debate a subject?

Tell me again about the AARP and their ability to overrule the SC?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Funny .. I don't remember mentioning a name?

Are you 'outing' yourself?
Do you feel guilty?

Do you know how to debate a subject?

Tell me again about the AARP and their ability to overrule the SC?
What SC ruling are you referring to specifically?

And are you championing the SC as an all seeing committee that we should never question?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Crawford v. Marion County Election Board - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a 6-3 decision in 2008, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the photo ID requirement, finding it closely related to Indiana's legitimate state interest in preventing voter fraud, modernizing elections, and safeguarding voter confidence.
Quote:
And are you championing the SC as an all seeing committee that we should never question?
You can certainly question their decisions but there really isn't anything you can do about it. At some point you need such a committee or you'd have endless litigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies