Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:42 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,548,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Liberal stupidity will never allow the liberals to understand that the Supreme Court has ruled voter ID laws constitutional (Crawford v. Marion County Election Board) and that ID's are made available at no charge as a part of every constitutional voter ID law.
Don't worry, liberalism is a mental disorder and talking common sense to these people, who want illegal aliens and legal residents who are not citizens to vote, will only make them more agitated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,149,231 times
First and foremost my challenge was to provide me with any state that is requiring ID to vote, you are not required to have a photo ID to vote or register in Arkansas. There is many things they accept that are not photo ID's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It is strict, and if you don't have acceptable ID you cast a provisional ballot that may or may not be counted, as it is at the discretion of the county officials.
That is only for registration:
Quote:
http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/election...tion_guide.pdf

Also, in order to avoid the requirement of voting
a Provisional Ballot when voting for the first time,
applicants must submit a copy of ONE of the following
forms of identification:
1) A current and valid photo identification (such as
a driver’s license, government I.D., passport,
etc.), or
2) A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement,
goverment check, or paycheck that shows your
name and address, or
3) Another government document that shows you
Quote:
Arkansas demands ID at the polls, and does not make any state ID FREE.
No they don't. In addition to the ID you may use the other things listed. These are not photoID's:

Quote:
Copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter
Furthermore as already indicated having no ID or those other things listed doesn't preclude you from voting a regualr ballot.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,832,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
Don't worry, liberalism is a mental disorder and talking common sense to these people, who want illegal aliens and legal residents who are not citizens to vote, will only make them more agitated.
Ohh? And the right simply wants to retain the widely abused absentee ballot as they vote "right"?

And maintain the right of the legal resident to vote as he has picture ID?

I could be gotten to buy into all this if it was a wide spread attempt to actually sort out illegal voting...but it is not. It goes after a specific group that has never shown any propensity to vote illegally and ignores all the ones that actually do. And it appears to do that because the right thinks it might deliver PA or similar to Romney.

Not a pretty story.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,329,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
How many of those are rights guaranteed under the Constitution to every American?
Where do you find voting as a right in the Constitution? Just wondering.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Arkansas.

DFA - FAQ's
We have all those charges, not same amounts, here in Kansas. However, our state hands people picture IDs if they make it to the testing place, for free. I didn't see anything in your link that said anything about IDs for voting.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL..... Firstly they don't have voter ID so it's irrelevant.

Secondly in my state of PA they still charge for the ID UNLESS you have no other form of acceptable ID to vote including government, military, college/university, elderly care home and a few others. If you do not have any of the acceptable ID's to vote it will be issued for free.
What did the judge say about PA today? All the noise is about racial problems but it seems to me that PA has stayed within what the Supreme Court required.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,832,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What did the judge say about PA today? All the noise is about racial problems but it seems to me that PA has stayed within what the Supreme Court required.
PA is I believe entirely a state issue.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:46 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,149,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
PA is I believe entirely a state issue.
It is because there is nothing the feds can do, the DOJ made some inquiries early on requesting some data but that is as far as it went. The suit was filed in State court and they lost. It's an appeal to the State Supreme Court and the arguments started yesterday. My understanding is a lot of the arguments being given are too delay the laws implementation.

There is one giant issue, one Justice is under indictment so there is only 6 sitting on the bench and a split decision is possible. I'm not sure what the outcome is if that happens.

Quote:
In Pennsylvania, voter ID law faces last crucial challenge before Election Day - CBS News

CBS News) Pennsylvania's controversial voter ID law faces its last court test before November's election on Thursday, as the state Supreme Court begins hearing arguments over whether or not voters in the state should be required to present valid photo identification at the voting booth.

The lawsuit, brought by the Advancement Project and the American Civil Liberties Union, challenges the lower Commonwealth Court's ruling last month, which determined the new voter ID law could stand for the upcoming election less than two months from now.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,940,957 times
Quote:
First and foremost my challenge was to provide me with any state that is requiring ID to vote, you are not required to have a photo ID to vote or register in Arkansas. There is many things they accept that are not photo ID's.

That is only for registration:
No they don't. In addition to the ID you may use the other things listed. These are not photoID's:

Furthermore as already indicated having no ID or those other things listed doesn't preclude you from voting a regualr ballot.
You don't live in Arkansas, you don't know what you are talking about. I live in Arkansas, I do know what I'm talking about.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,519,895 times
Quote:
It is because there is nothing the feds can do, the DOJ made some inquiries early on requesting some data but that is as far as it went. The suit was filed in State court and they lost. It's an appeal to the State Supreme Court and the arguments started yesterday. My understanding is a lot of the arguments being given are too delay the laws implementation.

There is one giant issue, one Justice is under indictment so there is only 6 sitting on the bench and a split decision is possible. I'm not sure what the outcome is if that happens.

I called this one several weeks ago. 3-3 party-line split, tie goes to the lower court ruling, upheld.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies