Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersondavis View Post
Eliminate welfare/food stamps/ unemployment, out of control corporate taxes, over regulation of business, minimum wage and then we will have a true free market economy.
Considering how dearly conservatives hate labor unions, you forgot to leave out regulations greatly restricting union organizing. Because without a min. wage, pay will go downhill, making workers turn to unionizing to try to raise their pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,983,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Ok, and where are these mythical jobs? Drug Dealing, robberies, burglaries and prostitution would rise immediately. Maybe they can just walk down to there local fortune 500 company, apply , and start work tomorrow. Oh i forgot, they are just being lazy.
You know we didn't always have a welfare state and crime rates weren't sky high. I have a different vision of humanity than you I guess. You see humanity as weak and in need of the state to live. I have a vision of a humanity that is strong enough to take care of itself. We're being lulled to sleep in a safety net that has turned into a hammock.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Ok, and where are these mythical jobs? Drug Dealing, robberies, burglaries and prostitution would rise immediately. Maybe they can just walk down to there local fortune 500 company, apply , and start work tomorrow. Oh i forgot, they are just being lazy.
Well -- you never see illegals unable to get jobs. The jobs are out there, but people on welfare aren't about to give up their higher standard of living to go work 8 hours 5 days a week and have less.

That's the whole problem. Get on welfare and you have nice comfortable housing, doesn't cost you a dime, you have plenty of food to buy, free health care, utilities paid, nice clothes. Go work like some of the illegals do and you buy your clothes at Goodwill, you can't fill your grocery cart with brand name items and steaks.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, I've studied it with my own eyes. I've also lived in a trailer park where I had neighbors living on welfare. Not good.

I could see the devastation of lives when young people have nothing to do but lay around, drink, do drugs, party, watch television, every day is like the day before. Nothing to motivate them, nothing to work for, all their needs and wants were met with the government handouts but -- again, every day the same as the one before, tomorrow is just like today and yesterday. Nothing to look forward to, nothing to work for.
Well that doesn't sound like a good way to live, I am guessing that since you lived in a trailer park you must of been like everyone that lived there, living off government handouts, sitting around doing nothing, and watching tv.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
You know we didn't always have a welfare state and crime rates weren't sky high. I have a different vision of humanity than you I guess. You see humanity as weak and in need of the state to live. I have a vision of a humanity that is strong enough to take care of itself. We're being lulled to sleep in a safety net that has turned into a hammock.
Exactly. Really who sees a hard working poor person and gets all scared? That's a strange stereotype because poor people, people with humble jobs are not more inclined to harm you than are rich people.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well that doesn't sound like a good way to live, I am guessing that since you lived in a trailer park you must of been like everyone that lived there, living off government handouts, sitting around doing nothing, and watching tv.
Nope -- not at all. There were some others who worked. At the time, it was really affordable housing for me but I worked two jobs. Saved up quite a bit of money. It was interesting too because there was also a couple with no kids who worked as high paid professionals, they may have been saving to buy a nice house with cash or travel -- I never found out why they chose to live there.

That's another stereotype people sometimes have of certain kinds of neighborhoods -- that everyone in them is on welfare, sometimes they're mixed.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,211,133 times
Quote:
Nope -- not at all. There were some others who worked. At the time, it was really affordable housing for me but I worked two jobs. Saved up quite a bit of money. It was interesting too because there was also a couple with no kids who worked as high paid professionals, they may have been saving to buy a nice house with cash or travel -- I never found out why they chose to live there.

That's another stereotype people sometimes have of certain kinds of neighborhoods -- that everyone in them is on welfare, sometimes they're mixed.
Oh so you are saying not everything is what it seems. I guess that means not everything you think welfare is might not be exactly what you are seeing. Seeing someone abuse welfare doesn't mean that everyone abuses welfare, which I actually think we should spend more on welfare so that we can better protect it by eliminating the fraudulent people that are on it, which is a small percentage overall.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,509,181 times
Quote:
Well -- you never see illegals unable to get jobs. The jobs are out there, but people on welfare aren't about to give up their higher standard of living to go work 8 hours 5 days a week and have less.

That's the whole problem. Get on welfare and you have nice comfortable housing, doesn't cost you a dime, you have plenty of food to buy, free health care, utilities paid, nice clothes. Go work like some of the illegals do and you buy your clothes at Goodwill, you can't fill your grocery cart with brand name items and steaks.
I agree. But in its current form you'd be fool to get off welfare to take a minimum wage job.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,842,159 times
yes, it's one of the worst myths out there that all those on welfare are lazy etc..

that's just completely untrue.

I've met plenty on welfare that would love to have a job, and work very hard in looking for one - yet to no avail.

from what I've read and studied it seems as if it's only around 10% that milk the system - a fairly low number IMO.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Why work? Dignity and self respect. The chance to start earning more. Minimum wage is a training wage the vast majority of the time and entry level jobs can sometimes translate into something more. But like I said I would always work rather than live off the teat of the government for self respect and dignity reasons.

Half the people making minimum wage are over 25. It's not just for teens anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies