Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:03 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,265,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
fairly self-explanatory title.

why work if you can get the same or more on Welfare?

what is the incentive to get a job in this case?

what is the solution?
Do away with it if the person can work.....THANKS LBJ!!!!!!

Last edited by Houston3; 08-29-2012 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
some on this thread say NO to Welfare period.

so what happens when there are no jobs at the same time?

no jobs, no welfare - then what?
family.......just like when there was no "welfare".... THANKS FOR YOUR WELFARE LBJ....

Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Lol... Says the guy who named himself after the leader of the traitorous secessionist...
It was Lincoln that killed 600,000 Americans....

Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,527,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why do you own a car if you are on minimum wage? People haven't heard of bicycles, or busses?

This is what I've been predicting. unaffordable rents (half of all low income renters pay at least half their income on rent) --> ppl move further away from their jobs to find affordable housing + rising fuel prices --> UHOH OMG WTF ETC

Bicycles and buses don't get you to work year-round in many parts of the country.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,227,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This is what I've been predicting. unaffordable rents (half of all low income renters pay at least half their income on rent) --> ppl move further away from their jobs to find affordable housing + rising fuel prices --> UHOH OMG WTF ETC

Bicycles and buses don't get you to work year-round in many parts of the country.
But they can. If a person shares an apartment and doesn't own a car, more often than not they can live close enough to a job to not need to drive.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,847,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
family.......just like when there was no "welfare".... THANKS FOR YOUR WELFARE LBJ....
what if you have no family or they are broke too?

and someone mentioned private charity - how will that work exactly?

Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,726,356 times
Default What about a place to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You could easily abolish welfare as we know it. You could still make sure people have food. You could eliminate the whole food stamp program and since schools are now feeding centers as much as they are anything, you could just expand on that -- they already provide 2 free meals, just keep the cafeteria open until 6 or 7pm.

Welfare really has nothing to do with hordes of hustlers on street corners or roaming gangs. It doesn't prevent them if that's what you're suggesting.

Yes, you might have a plan to feed people, but they need to live somewhere. Should the very poor live in jails, or concentration camps? After hours in the schools? Living outdoors is considered a crime, besides the discomfort of winter weather & safety. Govt says no fires, you might burn down the snow!

Try to imagine yourself with no job, no savings, & nobody that would let you live with them. What would the solution be? Some people who have a felony can't find an employer. Some people have a so-called mental illness, a defect in the brain that may have caused the brain to not fully develop, possibly as a
result of the multiple shots forced on babies before age 1.

Hustlers on street corners or roaming gangs have possibly been denied any govt assistance, or maybe they don't know how to apply.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:17 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,849,032 times
Am I the only one who looks at this differently? If minimum wage pays the same as welfare of course there is little incentive to work. Minimum wage needs to be raised to a living wage(one that adequately covers the basics). Ten dollars an hour will not do so, unless you are a single male. The majority of welfare recipients have children and could not live on ten dollars and take care of the children adequately. Welfare certainly needs to be reformed, but I don't think getting rid of it altogether is necessarily the answer. The answer is creating jobs that pay enough for "the working" poor to adequately live on, and reforming welfare so that it truly is temporary whether than permanent or generational. I've done volunteer work in inner city communities with single mom's that were in the system and this was one of the biggest issues. Truthfully most of the women I worked with WANTED to work and better there lives, however when they went out in the workforce to try to find jobs that paid enough to adequately live on and take care of the children, those jobs were not there. Instead they found plenty of jobs that paid under $12 an hour that would NEVER cover the things they needed covered unless they received government assistance to supplement. Also in terms of welfare from what I know, if you do get welfare YOU have to get a job within a certain time frame, and prove you are looking, and the cash benefits you get are minimal. The government assistance program that is easy to get that doesn't require one to work is food stamps. Medicaid is also easy to get if you are a single mother or pregnant. Food stamps are also easily accessible for the unemployed, which last time I checked the unemployed consists of people from all backgrounds, and education levels.
It's interesting because I actually remember reading an article that suggested that the minimum wage has not adjusted to 2012 COL(in most states) it should have been raised by now. It hasn't.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,262,288 times
Actually if minimum wage stayed on par with inflation we would be up to almost $15hr for minimum wage.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:28 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,849,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually if minimum wage stayed on par with inflation we would be up to almost $15hr for minimum wage.

This is what I am saying
. The minimum wage in 2012 should be higher than what it is. I can't imagine trying to live off of today's minimum wage job and supporting a child. Sure they get raises as time goes on, but the raises usually aren't significant unless they have been at that particular company for more than few a years, during those few years I can imagine how difficult it would be trying to make ends meet. $15 an hour isn't that much better, but it's certainly better than $8.00, $7.00, $10.00, etc. To me the fact that the minimum wage is not higher than what it is, is just as troubling as is the number of people that continue to leech off the system, I view both as abuse. Just in different ways. Meh, maybe it's the liberal in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies