Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:22 PM

78,643 posts, read 60,823,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You shouldn't make stupid assumptions based on *your* assumptions of my politics.
You have posted comments to over 1500 different threads in political.

You have started 113 different threads in the P&OC forum.

You can't figure out how we know what your political views are?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...6&pp=30&page=3

That's precious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:31 PM

52,792 posts, read 34,678,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I think Armstrong was clean, but, I think they should just let all professional athletes dope if they want. Let them shorten their life. Let their sexual organs shrink and turn into dead tissue.... If it's that important to them, let them. Look how well it worked out for Lyle Alzado.
these aren't 'drugs' as you'd normally think of them, they're naturally-occurring human hormones like EPO and testosterone.

Quote:
EPO stimulates bone marrow to produce more red blood cells (RBC) and therefore hemoglobin. For this reason EPO is most commonly used amongst endurance athletes as a higher RBC count means better oxygen transportation and so a higher rate of aerobic respiration. The faster the rate of aerobic respiration, the higher the level at which the athlete can work without utilising the anaerobic systems which produce lactic acid and cause fatigue.
in other words, they're unlikely to shorten one's life or cause any of the side effects you mentioned.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:38 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,948,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
these aren't 'drugs' as you'd normally think of them, they're naturally-occurring human hormones like EPO and testosterone.

in other words, they're unlikely to shorten one's life or cause any of the side effects you mentioned.
I wasn't referring to this case specifically.. I was refering to the steroids that have been used in professional sports for years that have been proven to cause significant side affects as well as contribute to the death of athletes.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,502,218 times
It should just be accepted that all athletes are on drugs and go from there.

[the one with the best drugs wins!]

Old 08-24-2012, 03:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
Bascially I think that effective testig and then relying on thsoe test as quailfying is the only solution. Its seems I saw that they will have to go back to 8th place to name a winner in one of the tours[]because of later findings.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,502,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Bascially I think that effective testig and then relying on thsoe test as quailfying is the only solution. Its seems I saw that they will have to go back to 8th place to name a winner in one of the tours[]because of later findings.
Maybe they should just automatically disqualify the top 10 finishers. I'm becoming weary of reading about top athletes cheating.

[not saying Armstrong is cheating as no actual decision regarding the matter has been made]

Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM

472 posts, read 741,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Maybe they should just automatically disqualify the top 10 finishers. I'm becoming weary of reading about top athletes cheating.

[not saying Armstrong is cheating as no actual decision regarding the matter has been made]
My opinion is that all tour medals awarded in the past twenty years should be returned and the entire event should be abolished because the cyclists are dopers and the officials are idiots.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:44 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

Its a reflection on our society. American baseball set the stage for the acceptance of doping to win at any price.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
My opinion is that all tour medals awarded in the past twenty years should be returned and the entire event should be abolished because the cyclists are dopers and the officials are idiots.
Twenty years?

Doping as been an integral part of the Tour de France since the races inception.

Doping at the Tour de France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-24-2012, 03:55 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Twenty years?

Doping as been an integral part of the Tour de France since the races inception.

Doping at the Tour de France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So is the assertion that if everyone is doping that Armstrong had no advantage every other cyclist didn't have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies