Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 05:26 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times

Advertisements

The title of this thread is misleading. The USADA can't strip Armstrong of the titles. It is likely he took some PEDs. It is also very likely he was just the "best" of the rest of the PED users from 1999-2005.

An article I read on CNN sort of sums up my feelings on this. Who cares. If Lance Armstrong didn't win the Tour those years, Americans wouldn't care about the Tour anyway (that's not to say many care about it these days anyway). Some other doper would have won.

In my opinion, he's done more good than bad. I couldn't care less about the USADA's witch hunt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
armstrong has been accused of doping before, and they have found NOTHING to indicate that he was doping, or doing anything else illegal. i guess he got tired of defending himself all the time.
Other than two positive tests, output data that is indicative of only one thing, defeating other super-charged dopers and the sworn testimony of several ex-teammates, some of whom have nothing to gain and much to lose by coming "clean," you're absolutely correct.

Marion Jones passed an upwards of 200 tests before finally admitting she doped.

This was the smartest move for Armstrong, as his fanboy true believers can still maintain their blind faith.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 AM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
armstrong has been accused of doping before, and they have found NOTHING to indicate that he was doping, or doing anything else illegal. i guess he got tired of defending himself all the time.

How much money did he have to put forth to defend himself each time and how much of that money is maybe even given to someone in that USADA group? Easy money each time someone says, "hey, let's accuse Armstrong again". I can't remember how many times he was accused. Shouldn't there be a limit on calling someone out if it's been found that there wasn't any evidence to back such claim in the 1st place?

So, they [USADA] wants to strip him of the title/awards based on hearsay? Thought that was inadmissable in court?

Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
The witch hunts, always burned the witch.

This was nothing but a witch hunt.
He has been tested proven over and over he didn't dope.

Yet, here we are again.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:41 AM

892 posts, read 1,577,073 times
Cycling is universally known as the "dirtiest" sport around. Blood doping is common place throughout.

So.....the MOST DOMINANT athlete in the DIRTIEST sport is clean and all these other guys who have been caught are the only ones who have been doping?........

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK........dude has been doping (and has the resources to mask it for tests) the whole time.

Other cyclists have WITNESSED him doping...........they're probably just "player hating" right?

Also.... Lance Armstrong IS NOT A HERO....people need to stop throwing that term around.

Beating cancer and winning multiple bike races is impressive...but it DOESN'T MAKE YOU A HERO.

A hero is someone who puts their life in jepordy to save someone else......I am a veteran- that doesn't make me anyone's hero.

Anyone who thinks this guy was clean while winning those races is gullable.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I sugggest he find a greedy lawyer and sue thse persecuters, as a group and as individuals, for more money than they can ever obtain. IMHO this is one place the legal dictum of innocent until proven guilty is appropriate.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,489 times
I find it funny that a person who has made his career on never giving up or throwing in the towel (whether it was his cancer struggle or his cycling acheivements) is no giving up. And even saying that man needs to know when to stop fighting.

I have a feeling that's not going to play to well with his cancer foundation...telling people that they should just give up the fight. Sounds like a role model to me.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
It sounds to me like people in the USADA have their minds made up to convict Armstrong with or without evidence, and Armstrong is simply tired of dealing with them.

I for one don't believe Armstrong used any sort of doping. It makes no logical sense.

Armstrong knew he had to have regular drug tests as part of his profession, so why would he take the chance, and risk everything? His money? His fame? His career? His future endorsements?

Armstrong has repeated over and over that he has passed every test given, and I believe him.

Finding trace amounts of corticosteroid in his urine because he uses this drug for saddle sores is not doping for performance. It is using medication for injury.

Who here hasn't used the over the counter medication Cortaid (aka Hydrocortisone) at some point for itchy skin? Guess what? Cortaid is a corticosteroid.

Lance Armstrong is the greatest cyclist in history, and possibly the greatest comeback story in history from a person facing a life-threatening illness.

Armstrong has been a role model to millions of people with cancer.

Armstrong decided he no longer wants to deal with the USADA because he feels they are persecuting him without proof, and he is tired of being involved in this fight, and wants to move on with his life. It is not an admission of guilt.

I think the USADA would be wrong in stripping Armstrong of his Tour De France titles.

If the cycling profession feels doping is an issue, they should routinely be testing all cyclists before, during, and after every race, and disqualifying people immediately.

It should not be brought up years later, when it can no longer be scientifically proven, and is now just based on various claims of "supposed" witnesses.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:21 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Why do these guys think that they won't eventually be found out? Armstrong maintains his innocence but won't fight charges made by the US Anti-Doping Agency. .
Maybe because he is innocent. He's passed hundreds of drug tests......

Who gave the USADA this authority anyway? Another casualty of the failed war on drugs.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
Cycling is universally known as the "dirtiest" sport around. Blood doping is common place throughout.

So.....the MOST DOMINANT athlete in the DIRTIEST sport is clean and all these other guys who have been caught are the only ones who have been doping?........

GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK........dude has been doping (and has the resources to mask it for tests) the whole time.
He passed all of the tests. What else can a person do? Just because you THINK he used drugs doesn't make it true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies