Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 PM

664 posts, read 774,952 times

Advertisements

I've got a way to get rid of this voter ID crap. 80 million plus Americans file and pay their taxes online, voting should be 100% online. Keep voting places, people can do it online at home or go to a polling place. Here's how it works, every single LEGAL American citizen has a valid SS #. It is not the same as having a photo ID. Every SINGLE LEGAL CITIZEN has a SS #. The only reason you would not have a SS # is if you were an illegal alien. SS Administration has name and SS# of every single American, voting should be 1 name/SS#, 1 vote. That's it. Problem solved. How is anyone going to say this disenfranchises any LEGAL American citizen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,213,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Why should you be allowed to vote without showing an ID? Things you need an ID for in order to get. Alcohol, Tobacco, to purchase firearms, to open a bank account, to get food stamps, government assistance. There's a couple things. Any jobs I've ever had, I had to produce an ID before I was hired. When I buy M-rated video games I have to show ID. Always have to show it at my college too.
Good point, I guess they should fix that no photo ID absentee ballot thing then, right?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:51 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,238,028 times
For what valid reason would a US citizen not have an ID?

Ummm, lazy? they watch too much MSNBC? Because Rachel Maddow says it's a stupid idea?

Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,051,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That's plain nonsense. In order for someone to enter a nursing or retirement home you have to at least have a state ID. I know, my mother is in one and it was required of her. If it is a nightmare getting them to the DMV then how are they going to get to the voting precincts?
ABSOLUTELY 10000% WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Ever hear of Absente Ballots?

COme on, people! We are supposed to ENCOURAGE our citizens to vote! Why put roadblocks in the way of people exercising this fundamental right? It just makes no sense at all! There is less fraud in voting than there is in getting false ID's so HS kids can buy alcohol!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM

4,804 posts, read 3,522,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn311601 View Post
I've got a way to get rid of this voter ID crap. 80 million plus Americans file and pay their taxes online, voting should be 100% online. Keep voting places, people can do it online at home or go to a polling place. Here's how it works, every single LEGAL American citizen has a valid SS #. It is not the same as having a photo ID. Every SINGLE LEGAL CITIZEN has a SS #. The only reason you would not have a SS # is if you were an illegal alien. SS Administration has name and SS# of every single American, voting should be 1 name/SS#, 1 vote. That's it. Problem solved. How is anyone going to say this disenfranchises any LEGAL American citizen?
That would make sense. But there is no oversight, and dems would lose their collective mind, as not everyone has computers to do their taxes.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:53 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,238,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
COme on, people! We are supposed to ENCOURAGE our citizens to vote! Why put roadblocks in the way of people exercising this fundamental right? It just makes no sense at all! There is less fraud in voting than there is in getting false ID's so HS kids can buy alcohol!
Agree, 100% LEGAL American citizens.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,781,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In another thread a poster wrote the following:

To do many necessary functions, such as driving and getting medical care, you have to have an ID in this country. I really want to know for what VALID reason a US citizen wouldn't have an ID.

I know someone is going to cite cost so I'll go ahead and supply that because I don't see where any of them are prohibitive.
Most last between 4 and 5 years.
People who don't drive frequently do not have state issued ID. And if we are saying that you have to pay to have an ID so you can vote, we are now saying that you have to PAY TO VOTE. Which economic demographic do you think is that going to effect the most? And how does that demographic typically vote?

No wonder the republicans want this so bad.

And maybe some people are lazy, but since when is making sure people aren't lazy a requirement to have your vote count. Stupid people vote, so do criminals, and people who don't even live in this country. That does not mean you lose your most basic right in this country.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:57 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,629,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
People who don't drive frequently do not have state issued ID. And if we are saying that you have to pay to have an ID so you can vote, we are now saying that you have to PAY TO VOTE. Which economic demographic do you think is that going to effect the most? And how does that demographic typically vote?

No wonder the republicans want this so bad.
I know a ton of people who live in New York and never drive. All of them have some form of state ID.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:58 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,781,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I know a ton of people who live in New York and never drive. All of them have some form of state ID.
So what?

Why should anyone have to PAY to vote?

And FYI, NY is a mass transit town if there ever was one. In other states the mass transit to get to a MVC can take hours or not go there at all.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:10 PM

664 posts, read 774,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
That would make sense. But there is no oversight, and dems would lose their collective mind, as not everyone has computers to do their taxes.
that's why I said you would keep the polling places. Instead of punching a card, you go and enter your SS# and a list comes up and you vote online. Instantaneous. We trust the government to keep our banking and job information safe when we file and pay taxes, voting should be no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies