Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:36 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,059,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

non stop lefties, all you guys do is whine about how we have problems that only government can fix, and then you whine about the results when the govenrment "fix", collapses..
I get it. Every bad policy lies at the feet of the 'D's. In this thread, and most others you participate in, you blame the 'D's. I get it.
My question is this ... are the 'R's so inept to not be able to fix the mess the 'D's put us in? Are the 'D's so powerful that they have complete policy control? I ask because when I look back 40 to 50 years I see a relative equal balance of power. I see a rather equal balance in the House, Senate and Executive over the last generation or so.

Or, could it be so simple that bad policy is just bad policy, regardless of 'R's and 'D's? You need not answer that, everyone knows your answer. But for the rest who plays partisan politics, is one side so powerful and the other so inept to get us where we are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:45 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,128,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Oh bull****. You can't get access to a banks books. We were told over and over leading up to the crash that the banks were solid and in good shape. There is absolutely no way for a regular Joe to dispute that on their own.

Bank search | Investigative Reporting Workshop

Old 07-06-2012, 11:59 AM

79,911 posts, read 44,548,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What would have the financial situations of the banks that had to be bailed out looked like in early 2007? They would have looked fine.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,270,499 times
Quote:
Oh bull****. You can't get access to a banks books. We were told over and over leading up to the crash that the banks were solid and in good shape. There is absolutely no way for a regular Joe to dispute that on their own.
So if a used car dealership promised you that the car had never been in an accident, would you take them at face value?

How on earth do we manage to buy decent used cars without the government being involved?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So if a used car dealership promised you that the car had never been in an accident, would you take them at face value?

How on earth do we manage to buy decent used cars without the government being involved?
Does this in any way address my point? No of course it doesn't. I suppose comparing the financial markets to a used car lot does have some truth to it though.

If you believe that finance should operate like a used car lot, this is indeed another argument that you can own. It's silly, not to mention that there are laws against a used car lot misrepresenting what they are selling.

There would be no problem with a used car lot just rolling back the miles would there?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:07 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,270,499 times
Quote:
Does this in any way address my point? No of course it doesn't. I suppose comparing the financial markets to a used car lot does have some truth to it though.

If you believe that finance should operate like a used car lot, this is indeed another argument that you can own. It's silly, not to mention that there are laws against a used car lot misrepresenting what they are selling.

There would be no problem with a used car lot just rolling back the miles would there?
The analogy is spot on, so can you please answer the question?

If a used car dealership wants to roll back miles, they should legally be allowed to do that. No one is forcing me to shop at that dealership.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The analogy is spot on, so can you please answer the question?

If a used car dealership wants to roll back miles, they should legally be allowed to do that. No one is forcing me to shop at that dealership.
LOL, you don't believe that. You would have no idea what cars had been rolled back. Dealer A might have a solid reputation but they can do nothing about a car getting traded in from a dealer that rolled back miles or that I did in my garage.

Sorry, if this is what you are stuck arguing, you know you have no arguement.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,950,787 times
I'm afraid they never will nor will they ever get the proper regulation or oversight needed to prevent such wide spread fraud from happening again. Politicians care more about getting lobbyist money than in doing what is best for the country so the banks will keep bribing them with "campaign donations", donations which can be laundered hundreds of ways so as to end up in the personal pockets of the politicians and their friends, and the sad song & dance will continue until the next crash.

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 07-06-2012 at 01:22 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 04:34 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,877,214 times
I only buy cars from dealers that roll back miles.

12/09/90: Cream Puff - YouTube

Quote:

Old 07-07-2012, 10:52 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,603,599 times
Doesn't anybody recall Barney Frank's immortal 'I want to roll the dice as it applies to this subsidized housing situation?' line from several years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies