Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Goldman Sachs sold securities backed by loans that they knew were going to fail and then bet against them all while assuring people that they were solid bets.
Goldman Sachs sold securities backed by loans they knew were going to fail but were SECURED BY THE CREDIT OF THE US GOVERNMENT.

Are you telling me the credit of the US Government isnt a solid bet? I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
So at what point are big banks ever going to be held accountable?

As soon as Ron Paul is elected to office in November, it will begin.... As the Federal Reserve is reigned in, with the gold standard reimplemented.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, the government doesn't care. They continue to allow this to happen even though we have laws on the books to address this.

Why do the banks continue to act this way? I'll answer. Because they know the government will do absolutely nothing about it.
What law made it illegal to loan money out to people, regardless of their ability to pay it back, knowing that government guarantees will insure it?

The dumb person attacks the person who loaned money out while the smart one asks why there was a dam guarantee to begin with.

You want banks to fail that make bad loans, GET RID OF THE DAM GOVERNENTAL GUARANTEES.. but liberals wont do that, will they?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Goldman Sachs sold securities backed by loans they knew were going to fail but were SECURED BY THE CREDIT OF THE US GOVERNMENT.

Are you telling me the credit of the US Government isnt a solid bet? I disagree.
Doesn't matter who is backing them, subprimes should never be marketed as AAA investments.
The SEC and rating agencies are at fault for that.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
What law made it illegal to loan money out to people, regardless of their ability to pay it back, knowing that government guarantees will insure it?

The dumb person attacks the person who loaned money out while the smart one asks why there was a dam guarantee to begin with.

You want banks to fail that make bad loans, GET RID OF THE DAM GOVERNENTAL GUARANTEES.. but liberals wont do that, will they?
The funny thing is that they were "implicit" guarantees. The government had to take them over.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:40 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:

Yes. Did people lose their asses on these securities? Goldman Sachs knew they were going to fail or they wouldn't have bet against them. It's all well documented.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Doesn't matter who is backing them, subprimes should never be marketed as AAA investments.
The SEC and rating agencies are at fault for that.
It greatly matters who's backing them. If I loan a bum on the street $1,000,000 and Warren Buffet tells me that if the bum doesnt pay it back, he will.. then Warren Buffets credit is what is used.

Havent you ever cosigned someone elses loan?

Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Many laws were broken, but you know that. Loans were made with what were known bogus and unverifiable incomes.

Quote:

No they won't. Which is why I said right off that the problem falls on both sides of the fence.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:44 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
If you want to remain viable it's called ethics. If your argument is that banks have absolutely no obligation to act ethical, you can own that arguement. It's not a very good one.
Banks do not have a legal obligation to act ethically, nor should they. If a bank acts unethically, we the people have every right to stop using that bank and let it fail.

I am not sure why government needs to have a role in that process.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The funny thing is that they were "implicit" guarantees. The government had to take them over.
Correct, the government took them over because the government was obligated. Furthermore, it was sold to the public that this would be a profitable investment, and that only the government had the security and collateral to hold them long enough to recover the losses.

And thats exactly what happened, and took place.
Quote:
Yes. Did people lose their asses on these securities? Goldman Sachs knew they were going to fail or they wouldn't have bet against them. It's all well documented.
not quite.. they only lost their asses on them because they couldnt afford to hold onto them long enough until the asset recovered in value and they unloaded them to the govt in exchange for payments.

Those guarantees, are something Democrats wanted, and those guarantees are what made the buyers buy them. Do you think people would buy worthless assets without some sort of guarantee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies