Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,451,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by valerie d View Post
I'm havin pizza and grapefruit juice. One puts it on the other takes it off. I can't help it if you can't keep up. Why is it some of you folks criticize people to death and when people react tongue in cheek the little nasties can't take it and I end up getting censored while they get a pass. You can dish it out but you can't take it. Please stop taking me off topic. Aren't there some less challenging topics you and miss nancy and dear fancy can post on maybe krrp up a little better. Zimmerman is on trial for his life and we just want to see objectivity her not a speculative rush to judgement. Put the torches and pitchforks in the shed and let the politicos give Zimmerman a fair hearing.
Never owned a torch or pitchfork in my life....nor a robe and pointy hat.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:37 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,656,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I see that noone has mentioned his extra passport after turning in the expired one. Hmmmm is our man zim a possible flight risk?
That is probably why they forgot to mention the money also.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:38 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You want me to send you a bad check?
Trust me! You trust Zimmerman don't you? You know more about me than you do about him! Just send a check.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:42 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,771,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Even though statistics show conclusively that violent crimes in the U.S. have been steadily DECREASING during the past 20 years, the general public does not believe that's true.

Actually, in Florida "justified homicides" have tripled since SYG was enacted in 2005.
Why does the utter stupidity and complete contradiction in these 2 ludicrous statements not surprise me, considering the source?

And they wonder why we laugh at them!

Old 06-04-2012, 10:56 PM

8,974 posts, read 10,347,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Zimmerman being charged = political move.
I actually don't think I've ever agreed with Harrier, but I do think I have to agree on this point. Based on everything I know and deduce from the case, the DA would not have charged Zimmerman but for all the media attention this case is receiving. It was definitely a political move. I wouldn't say it was a partisan move if that's what you meant, but it was definitely political.

But of course, I must revert to the same question I always ask and always remains unanswered: so what?

That's what the media is there for (ETA: in theory). To promote transparency. To hold government actors accountable for their actions or failures to act. And as much as I have a general disdain for the media, they actually did succeed in the case of Trayvon Martin. He will have his day in court now.

Whether or not you think Z is guilty or whether the move was political shouldn't matter - why would you want a homicide, where there is sufficient prima facie evidence of intent, to just disappear into the chasm of history without a just trial? That in and of itself is a miscarriage of justice.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,327,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
I actually don't think I've ever agreed with Harrier, but I do think I have to agree on this point. Based on everything I know and deduce from the case, the DA would not have charged Zimmerman but for all the media attention this case is receiving. It was definitely a political move.

But of course, I must revert to the same question I always ask and always remains unanswered: so what?

That's what the media is there for. To promote transparency. To hold government actors accountable for their actions or failures to act. And as much as I have a general disdain for the media, they actually did succeed in the case of Trayvon Martin. He will have his day in court now.

Whether or not you think Z is guilty or whether the move was political shouldn't matter - why would you want a homicide, where there is sufficient prima facie evidence of intent, to just disappear into the chasm of history without a just trial? That in and of itself is a miscarriage of justice.
This is all true.

It really is about this young man's death getting some kind of acknowledgement and a real investigation conducted.

Without his parents' persistence, and the involvement of high profile activists, most of us would never have heard of Trayvon Martin and Zimmerman would have gone on with his life, likely continuing to play vigilante and perhaps killing someone else's kid, without any accountability.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,070,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Actually, in Florida "justified homicides" have tripled since SYG was enacted in 2005.
Judging from his response to your post, Dale doesn't seem to understand that in order for a homicide to be "justifiable" there usually has to be some kind of crime/threat against the defendant. If you shoot someone who just broke into your home and it's called a justifiable homicide, then the victim was still committing a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Why does the utter stupidity and complete contradiction in these 2 ludicrous statements not surprise me, considering the source?

And they wonder why we laugh at them!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,198,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Trust me! You trust Zimmerman don't you? You know more about me than you do about him! Just send a check.
Any check that I write would bounce - don't you understand what I mean by "bad check"?

Why would ask someone with little funds to support a murder suspect? Ask the rich people - not me.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:35 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,570,833 times
Quote:
I actually don't think I've ever agreed with Harrier, but I do think I have to agree on this point. Based on everything I know and deduce from the case, the DA would not have charged Zimmerman but for all the media attention this case is receiving. It was definitely a political move. I wouldn't say it was a partisan move if that's what you meant, but it was definitely political.

That's what the media is there for (ETA: in theory). To promote transparency. To hold government actors accountable for their actions or failures to act. And as much as I have a general disdain for the media, they actually did succeed in the case of Trayvon Martin. He will have his day in court now.

The media in general went way beyond transparency. Why choose this case to begin with ? Because a 'white' man with a gun killed a black youth. A mugshot murdered an unarmed black child who looked like a cherub barely old enough to be out at night. There was the racist SPD angle. The supposed no charges because gz's influential father met with the prosecutor on the night of the killing. The cops never took gz's clothes. Tm's tox test was clean. The supposed 'f'in coon' on the 911 call. Audio experts who knew tm was yelling for help. Editing of the 911 call. gz suffered no injuries. Until a newspaper found tm's school suspensions, an angel. An angle that many still believe--- that the investigation was over. Many more.

The media in general promoted the view that a white racist armed vigilante is guilty of murder and was forever free with the help of racist cops and prosecutor.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:38 AM

812 posts, read 599,244 times
Quote:

Is there prima facia of intent? Would you want to be sitting in jail for self defense? If you go to the market this afternoon a derelict asks you for change and when you pull out your wallet he grabs it and starts to run. You peruse for a block and you here sirens coming down the street. Only a block away and you know you'll receive help in catching the thief. About the time you catch up to him he turns on you and runs toward you knocking you to the ground. You shoot him dead. Do you think you should sit in jail and await trial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies