Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 01:52 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Corporations can't force me to do anything or buy anything. The government can.
So you must be thrilled when corporations you don't buy anything from pay NO taxes, allowing people like you to make up the shortfall, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
When the elected members of congress do not follow orders (the constitution), they are therefore invalid in my opinion and resistance to their unlawful power is necessitated.

As for corporations, they have bought & sold our politicians via special interest groups.

They are both out of control.

I agree. Corporations themselves tend to act like little facist regimes these days.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Because you can choose to refuse to do business with a corporation, but you can't refuse to do business with the government.
But it doesn't play out this way:

-Try choosing not to have a phone and internet and remaining competitive in the job market or socially.
-Try raising kids without video games and fast food.
-Try telling an asthma or allergy sufferer that they can choose not to breathe corporation produced pollution.
-Try working at a corporation in sales or marketing, and telling them 'sustainable' revenue is good enough... they want endless maximum growth.
-Try telling your 14 year old daughter that she doesn't have to be what advertisers say she should be, and she should do it without all their products.
-Try telling businesses near the Gulf Coast that they can opt out of the degredation of their life blood, the Gulf.
-Try telling a physician that the modern food industry can easily be refused... poof, no obese patients.

I could go on and on. We need both, but corporations are absolutely not to be trusted, especially nowadays. They are all too happy to take US money and jobs and relocate them to the 3rd World.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
at least the government is ELECTED by the people...
Really? What about the EPA, for example? It's part of the government but it's not elected though, is it?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times
The corporations are the government.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Because you can choose to refuse to do business with a corporation, but you can't refuse to do business with the government.
So, for example, if a company you did no business with dumped PCBs in a river near your house you'd be fine with it, eh?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:22 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,436,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Who votes in that governing power. We the people are the government. Hating ourselves, fearing ourselves because we are easily swayed by money. We elect the people, we vote on the issues, how can you call yourself a bully? Unless you just are but the blame is with you and I, government isn't in place if we don't put it there. We could make new rules for them but we don't. Some try, none funded elections, no lobbying, but for some reason we like to keep the ability to be swayed open. I think we fear ourselves, we fear the propaganda telling us that we can't control ourselves so it's better to leave it open, even if the wolves are the ones getting in and us sheep are on the outside freaking out and complaining.
The "person" I voted for and who got elected, is rarely the person they told me they were. All too frequently it seems that my best interests are their's right up to the point that they get elected and start nursing at the Corporate Teat.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:24 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
The "person" I voted for and who got elected, is rarely the person they told me they were. All too frequently it seems that my best interests are their's right up to the point that they get elected and start nursing at the Corporate Teat.
They nurse at the corporate teat before getting elected. Then, they milk the taxpayer in order to pay back the corporate interests who fronted the money for their election.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:27 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
But it doesn't play out this way:

-Try choosing not to have a phone and internet and remaining competitive in the job market or socially.
-Try raising kids without video games and fast food.
-Try telling an asthma or allergy sufferer that they can choose not to breathe corporation produced pollution.
-Try working at a corporation in sales or marketing, and telling them 'sustainable' revenue is good enough... they want endless maximum growth.
-Try telling your 14 year old daughter that she doesn't have to be what advertisers say she should be, and she should do it without all their products.
-Try telling businesses near the Gulf Coast that they can opt out of the degredation of their life blood, the Gulf.
-Try telling a physician that the modern food industry can easily be refused... poof, no obese patients.

I could go on and on. We need both, but corporations are absolutely not to be trusted, especially nowadays. They are all too happy to take US money and jobs and relocate them to the 3rd World.

All good points, and they're in bed with each other.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,236 times
Because government is more powerful than the corporate world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies