Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,867,178 times

Advertisements

So people want to say Zimmerman had a right to stand his ground. Doesn't seem anyone is looking at Trevons right to stand his ground... He is having someone follow him and make him feel uncomfortable. So the kid stands his ground and punches out his aggressor... Didn't he have the same right to stand his ground, when threatened? His issue was he brought fists to a gun fight....

Seems they both were wrong to me. Zimmerman didn't stand down , as directed by the police. Trevon attacked Zimmerman instead of other options with the perceived threat..... You just never know what yahoo is carrying a gun... It is always better to err on the side of caution.

trevon was apparently trespassing as he jumped the fence of a gated community. then wonders why someone is following him... not a real bright kid apparently.

The other curiosity is how it seems people want to make it a white vs black race issue when Zimmerman wasn't white.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
So people want to say Zimmerman had a right to stand his ground. Doesn't seem anyone is looking at Trevons right to stand his ground... He is having someone follow him and make him feel uncomfortable. So the kid stands his ground and punches out his aggressor... Didn't he have the same right to stand his ground, when threatened? His issue was he brought fists to a gun fight....

Seems they both were wrong to me. Zimmerman didn't stand down , as directed by the police. Trevon attacked Zimmerman instead of other options with the perceived threat..... You just never know what yahoo is carrying a gun... It is always better to err on the side of caution.

trevon was apparently trespassing as he jumped the fence of a gated community. then wonders why someone is following him... not a real bright kid apparently.

The other curiosity is how it seems people want to make it a white vs black race issue when Zimmerman wasn't white.
I think Zimmerman's argument is "self defense" as opposed to Stand Your Ground. He's saying that he was attacked by the kid when he was punched in the face, and pummeled while on the ground, and in his defense, he shot the kid while pinned underneath of him at close range.

A witness is corroborating his story, hence no arrest.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,971,624 times
Oh, one other thing.

What does his mother mean when she says "they" killer her son?

I think she is another race baiter, in the same vein as Jesse, Al and the NBPP.

I guess she didn't get the memo the man who shot her son is Hispanic.

I'm thinking when she says "they", she means the white man.

Oh, having his short history and infractions come to light is not smearing either.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:11 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,143,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post

Trayvon and his dad were visiting the dad's girlfriend who lives within the gated community.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,464,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There is a tremendous amount of media bias in regards to this story. However I don't think that picture on the right is of Trayvon.
Oh the irony:

Spoiler

Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,143,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh, one other thing.

What does his mother mean when she says "they" killer her son?

I think she is another race baiter, in the same vein as Jesse, Al and the NBPP.

I guess she didn't get the memo the man who shot her son is Hispanic.

I'm thinking when she says "they", she means the white man.

Oh, having his short history and infractions come to light is not smearing either.
Attacking the grieving mother again. It is fairly reasonable to assume that she is not necessarily talking about race, but instead, the powers that be...primarily the Sanford PD which is looking more and more like a "good ole boy club". There's also that other little matter...the smear campaign launched against her murdered 17 year old son.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
You guys can marginilize this as much as you want. Does Zimmerman's political affiliation have anything to do with this incident? Hell no. But if he were a registered republican there are several posters on this board who would have been on it like stink on s#%t, and you know it.
So it's OK for someone on the right wing to "point out" that Zimmerman is a registered Democrat? Strange reasoning, my friend.

Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post

Police: Trayvon protesters ransack store | News - Home

Figures:North Miami Beach Senior High School Test Scores - North Miami Beach, Florida - FL
North Miami Beach Senior High School
Scale: % scoring at or above grade level
Reading 32%

Even more so:
http://www.greatschools.org/cgi-bin/fl/other/808#students

Black 69%
Hispanic22%
White4%
Asian/Pacific Islander3%
Multiracial1%
American Indian/Alaskan Native<1%<1%
What is your point (if any)? Why are the racial statistics of the school "even more so".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Any focused teenager who is sooo in love with sports and a good student is not acting like this...Just stating that the parents want to make him look like a saint, but reality is different...!
There are 2 sides to every story and with so many buglaries in this community it isn't strange that home owners want to look out for their belongings and all were committed by a certain type of people...according to neighobring statements.

Btw the guy lived in Miami...what was he doing there and how did Zimmerman end up with a bloody nose and the other things...in that small time frame.

Dead is not what anybody deserves but what is happening to Zimmerman is also outrages to have a bounty on his head...what kind of world do we live in.
Wow are you naive! At my kids' high school, the football and basketball players were among the hardest drinking of them all. There was some cocaine
ring going on with the cheerleaders.

You should know by now he was visiting his father's girlfriend.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:11 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,948,962 times
Default Lead Investigator Didn't Believe Zimmerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique27 View Post
Really? If weed was found on anyone in my high school we would have been expelled not suspended..
The fact that confidential student records that might or might not be true were "leaked" doesn't bother anyone? The school won't even confirm this. If Martin was guilty of a crime, he would have an arrest record, not a school suspension. Why is everyone digging for dirt on a shooting victim who was only walking home from the store? I don't get it.

Well, for those of you who are still blaming the victim, the Sanford Police Lead Investigator, Chris Serino, the night of the shooting wanted to arrest Zimmerman on manslaughter charges and was overruled. This has been on the TV news (local, CNN, MSNBC) all night and is on many online sites. (haven't heard anything on Fox News yet)

"Serino, a lead investigator with the Sanford Police Department, apparently did not believe the volunteer neighborhood watchman’s account of the events on that fateful evening last month that resulted in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Serino wanted Zimmerman, 28, locked up, but the state Attorney’s Office said there was not enough evidence to make an arrest, multiple sources told ABC News. In an affidavit taken the night of the Feb. 26 killing, Serino stated he was unconvinced by Zimmerman’s version of events in which he claimed self-defense.

State Attorney Norman Wolfinger refused to comment."

[url=http://www.waff.com/story/17270330/lead-inestigator-wanted-to-press-charges-in-trayvon-case]Lead investigator wanted to press charges in Trayvon case - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL[/url]

[URL="http://abcnews.go.com/US/trayvon-martin-investigator-wanted-charge-george-zimmerman-manslaughter/story?id=16011674#.T3KrwzGWmp0"]Lead Investigator Wanted Manslaughter Charge[/URL]

[URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/homicide-detective-chris-serino-wanted-george-zimmerman-slapped-manslaughter-charges-shooting-death-trayvon-martin-article-1.1051848"]Homicide detective Chris Serino says he wanted George Zimmerman slapped with manslaughter charges in shooting death of Trayvon Martin[/URL]

In any case, I hope there will be an arrest soon. I don't know if he is guilty of murder, but it certainly has been a botched police investigation.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-28-2012 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: fix post, links

Old 03-28-2012, 04:36 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
I agree but i read somewhere this right disappears when a person dies. The problem is the family attacked the character of Zimmerman and the police. They also presented an image that Trayvon was some angel on Earth. Standa to reason Zimmerman and the police will fight back. Pointing out the troubles of Trayvon is one way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The fact that confidential student records that might or might not be true were "leaked" doesn't bother anyone? The school won't even confirm this. If Martin was guilty of a crime, he would have an arrest record, not a school suspension. Why is everyone digging for dirt on a shooting victim who was only walking home from the store? I don't get it.

Well, for those of you who are still blaming the victim, the Sanford Police Lead Investigator, Chris Serino, the night of the shooting wanted to arrest Zimmerman on manslaughter charges and was overruled. This has been on the TV news (local, CNN, MSNBC) all night and is on many online sites. (haven't heard anything on Fox News yet)

"Serino, a lead investigator with the Sanford Police Department, apparently did not believe the volunteer neighborhood watchman’s account of the events on that fateful evening last month that resulted in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Serino wanted Zimmerman, 28, locked up, but the state Attorney’s Office said there was not enough evidence to make an arrest, multiple sources told ABC News. In an affidavit taken the night of the Feb. 26 killing, Serino stated he was unconvinced by Zimmerman’s version of events in which he claimed self-defense.

State Attorney Norman Wolfinger refused to comment."

Lead investigator wanted to press charges in Trayvon case - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Lead Investigator Wanted Manslaughter Charge

Homicide detective Chris Serino says he wanted George Zimmerman slapped with manslaughter charges in shooting death of Trayvon Martin

In any case, I hope there will be an arrest soon. I don't know if he is guilty of murder, but it certainly has been a botched police investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies