Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you wear the shirt?
Yes 15 25.00%
No 41 68.33%
Not sure 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 04:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,288,628 times

Advertisements

http://www.wagist.com/wp-content/upl...2/03/Ax26X.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Looks like a 17 year old to me..in this photo.
Yeah, if Obama had a son he would look like this:
Would be suspended several times, have someone else's jewelry on him along with a burglary tool, a drug pipe, drugs, cans of spray paint to deface property and probably a teleprompter.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-27-2012 at 05:44 PM..

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If that's what you want to believe (you're obviously a troll so it doesn't matter what you believe). But the bottom line is that the use of lethal force is either justified under the circumstances or it's not. I think Martin's "character" needs to be completely removed from the equation so that the sole focus becomes the reasonableness of Zimmerman's actions.

Here's another hypo:

I'm a store owner. Some thugs break in to rob my place and I get beat up in the process.

On their way out, one of the thugs turns and raises a gun to shoot me. I know that death is imminent.

Little do these thugs know, I've planted a batch of C4 explosives under the door threshold. The C4 can be detonated by sending a signal from my cell phone.

I detonate the C4, kllling the thugs, and two passerbys on the sidewalk in the process.

Manslaughter?
Yes, because you should know that C4 is pretty damn explosive (not to mention I don't think it's legal to use C4 :P but I get your point). I'm not sure why this is being argued though, since no bystanders were hit.

9,949 posts, read 8,859,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This black rage is going to get cops killed, because they'll be afraid to defend themselves or you and I against any person of color.
If you think this is bad wait until the election, we'll see black rage like never before if Obama isn't given another chance to ********** country a little more.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:08 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,541,148 times
Would I wear the shirt? Hell yea!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Yes, because you should know that C4 is pretty damn explosive (not to mention I don't think it's legal to use C4 :P but I get your point). I'm not sure why this is being argued though, since no bystanders were hit.
Because the inquiry is into the reasonableness of the force used, not necessarily its consequences. If I'm walking with my fiancee, and you come out of a dark alley swinging a samurai sword at me, why should I be on the hook if I shoot at you, miss, and kill someone else inadvertendtly? The analysis should not be any different than if I killed you, the intended target of the lethal force.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:14 PM

20,728 posts, read 19,382,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
looks just as old as the person holding the baby

you just want to see the one with the "Grill".
Not to me, nor do other more uptodate photos I have seen.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:16 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,035,308 times
I know what you guys are thinking right this second; thank God our friend Galileo Smith has come into this thread to give us the correct perspective on this. I mean, this thread has gone on plenty long enough. We need ol' Smitty to sort of tie it all together.

I thought about this very thing this morning, the killing and the media's handling of the Martin/Zimmerman trouble. I agree that, generally speaking, white on black criminal incidents are more likely to make it big in the national media than are black on white incidents. So, why?

One of the reasons, probably the biggest reason, is that I think that isolated white on black crimes are less likely to find justice for the black victim, and the media feels it needs to perform a public service in this area. I think this media belief is especially acute when the black victim is photographed looking like a nice, young teenage boy and the accused's photo is a semi-shaven, glaring, burly guy. The media are ordinary people, after all, with ordinary feelings, be they occasionally flawed feelings.

I think another reason is the "Sharpton Fear Factor". The media feels an obligation to trumpet these crimes for fear Sharpton will speak against the media if they do not. However, the media actually want Sharpton to speak out concerning the incident. Simply put, Sharpton creates more news for them to print, which the media sees as a good thing.

Finally, I will add these final thoughts... It is very possible that without a huge national media explosion concerning this incident, the police would have never pursued a criminal investigation, at least not an energetic criminal investigation. In the eyes of the police, it would have been a black hoodlum getting what he deserved after attacking a white guy. However now that there is a national following of the incident, it is quite possible that Zimmerman may get the short end of the stick what with Trayvon Martin's photo making him look more like a tender, young, black lad, and the most publicized photos of Zimmerman making him look like an overfed Klansman. Hopefully the white racists will go away, those who feel so sure that Martin must surely must have been the attacker, after all he is black. Likewise disappear those who without substantial evidence think the big, burly white guy ought to spend the rest of his life in jail for killing a small, defenseless black boy who couldn't have hurt a soul.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,701,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Because the inquiry is into the reasonableness of the force used, not necessarily its consequences. If I'm walking with my fiancee, and you come out of a dark alley swinging a samurai sword at me, why should I be on the hook if I shoot at you, miss, and kill someone else inadvertendtly? The analysis should not be any different than if I killed you, the intended target of the lethal force.
Well I'm not sure if you'd be charged with anything.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:18 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,165,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Still missing the point. The media has been selling the image of an all American, baby face, 12 year old school boy who is part of the church choir. Meanwhile they have the other that looks like a mug shot in an orange suit.

I am not on either side of this because I know I don't have all the facts. I do know when I am being played.
Sure doesn't seem that way, you seem to be on the side of Zimmerman. The media uses the photos provided by the family. Take it up with the familiy for not providing a more unflattering photo of their dead kid

Old 03-27-2012, 04:20 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Really? Someone in the neighborhood asks what youre doing and youre just going to punch him? Don't be surprised when that person you punched A. presses charges b. knocks you out. c. stabs/shoots you.

This whole case seems to be a big mess. A lot of pieces don't line up right and unfortunately we only have one, possibly two, people's word on what happened. I can't see Zimmerman being proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

If I lived in a community where I knew everyone and someone seemed out of place, I think I have every right to ask if they need help or whats going on without being assaulted. I can ask whatever I want, its up to that person how they respond. And their response will determine my set of actions.
It is not somebody in the neighborhood. It is a stranger I DO NOT KNOW following me slowly in his car. He should be charged with stalking too. And no, you do not have any right whatever to approach me on the street. And if you ever do, I am often carrying something more than Skittles and will not hesitate to use it if I feel under threat. People need to mind their own damn business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.