Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Defeat would be packing it in right now and bringing the troops home. Defeat would be allowing a terrorist regime to take control (Iran, Al-Qaida, whomever it may be). The only way this happens is if we don't take the necessary time to stabilize the country. How long will this take? A very long time in all likelihood. Is it worth it for future generations? In my opinion, yes.
A reasonable reply. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 01:28 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
So a top general saying the strategy is working is something we should just ignore? I guess your right, though. Why wouldn't Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid know more about what is going on than General Petraeus.
I don't think Petraeus' commander wouldn't let him tell the truth. Remember the global warming study was "modified" by a lawyer?

Quote:
Defeat would be packing it in right now and bringing the troops home.
Actually, defeat would be "Staying the Course" and losing more troops. Does Bush think that the military is expendable? How are we going to defend this country from future threats if our military is decimated? Will we actually win if a Pearl Harbour happens? This outsourcing has destroyed our defense capabilities. How about the car factories making tanks? Do we have to ship tanks across the ocean from China where they run the risk of torpedoes?

Victory is getting out of Iraq and bringing our troops home. Victory is catching the real culprit, Osama Bin Laden, and not the smokescreen of fixing Iraq. The Spin Doctors at Fox News promotes the misconception that Iraq was involved in 9/11. I wonder why Bush is not even making efforts to catch him; is he on our payroll again?

Old 09-13-2007, 07:54 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about that title, too. Why couldn't it have been "101 Reasons Why We Disagree with Bush?
After all, it's okay to disagree with a President or a politician's policies, but it's not okay to hate. Unless the politician is Republican, I suppose.
Thank you! Well said

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing, but it's best when done respectfully.

Cheers,
Lanc

Old 09-13-2007, 08:28 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times
FYI - The title was changed from "101 reasons..." because the OP is continuing a deleted thread that was titled "101 reasons we hate Bush". Instead of keeping the reference to the other thread, I changed the title back to the original so that those who didn't see the first thread would know what the ... meant. I didn't want macmeal to get the blame for thinking it up. Can we keep on topic now?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Your other right hand sir.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:16 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,120,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

Was that taken in "Austria"?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:22 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
You mean at the OPEC meeting?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

George Bush is the Jessica Simpson of politics.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I was unable to post to the "101 reasons" thread, so here goes---I think that, aside from the "Clod" factor, and the annoying "Bunkhouse accent", the underlying reason Bush makes us so uncomfortable is that he represents a "new" way of thinking which the majority of the American public has not yet come to grips with, and that is that Bush and his ilk see themselves as not so much Americans, as "citizens of the world", BASED in America, mostly for its wide-open business climate and its freedoms.
They see all of the world as their "plum", and show little concern for sovereignty and borders, regarding these as merely quaint vestiges of a rapidly-disappearing "old order". Europe has already surpassed us in this transition.
Looking around the globe, I doubt that most Americans are really ready to "throw in" with their fellow members of the human race just yet; nevertheless, it appears we have little choice in the matter. Yet it is WE who will be asked to make most of the accomodations, and to do most of the "cutting back" in order to make the "new" reality work. And Bush does a particularly poor job of presenting this reality to the public. His notorious secrecy, his condescending "smirk", and his ineptitude at public speaking make an already disturbing message all the more upsetting. Yet few would deny that this new order is rapidly coming at us, as the concept of individual nations becomes more and more irrelevant with each passing year. And Bush and Company serve as the "poster children" of this uncomfortable situation.
None of this should serve to minimize the terrible reality of the war in Iraq, or the illegal immigration mess. I'm merely suggesting that these are really SYMPTOMS of a huge and possibly cataclysmic shifting in the "direction" of civilization. The future looks very uncertain, and Bush isn't inspiring any confidence.......
i dont think i actually hate bush or anybody if anything i am angry with myself for not doing more to prevent the wrong guy from getting to the top and to start to push the wrong buttons.
we as the american people must prevent such people from taking office.
it can get a whole lot worse. germany made this terrible mistake bout 63 years ago. an early warning sign is when the people in charge have nothing but contempt for public opinion. not good.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-14-2007, 05:23 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Actually, defeat would be "Staying the Course" and losing more troops. Does Bush think that the military is expendable? How are we going to defend this country from future threats if our military is decimated? Will we actually win if a Pearl Harbour happens? This outsourcing has destroyed our defense capabilities. How about the car factories making tanks? Do we have to ship tanks across the ocean from China where they run the risk of torpedoes?
So Defeat is measured by how many troops we lose? Good thing that wasn't the mindset in previous major wars.

Last edited by bls5555; 09-14-2007 at 05:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies