Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:50 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,464,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Whether or not certain drugs are not as bad as others, these people went out of their way to perform illegal activities. I cannot feel sorry for them.

In retrospect, drinking soda isn't illegal, but when I was a child, if my father said, "Don't drink my soda", and I sneak around and steal some soda, and then put water in the bottle with the soda to make it appear that none had been taken, when I get caught, (And I did), the punishment was worse.

In this case, these people know it's illegal, (again, whether is should or shouldn't be is a different discussion), and they CHOSE to perform their actions anyway.

Like they told Charlie the tuna, "Sorry Charlie".
I understand your frustration, but remember, the founding fathers were breaking the law when they entered open rebellion against England.

Sometimes illegal resistance is the only means of changing laws that are actually illegal.

Remember, the Federal government does not have the constitutional power to tell any individual that they can't own a plant. Yet, here we are with 80% of inmates in jail for non violent drug offenses, where they often go into jail with an associates in marijuana, and come out with a PHD in criminality.

The problem with marijuana prohibition, and really all drug prohibition is that it turns otherwise law abiding citizens, into criminals. And when that is a real overstep of federal power, then breaking the law may be your only means of fighting back.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think these kids were out to make a political statement with what they were doing. They were trying to make money. The real "resistance" if you will are the average citizens who keep their nose clean, grow their own, and don't make bad names for everyone. But just saying that "well they broke the law" doesn't exactly tell the whole story, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM

68,386 posts, read 54,643,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They should get the death penalty. In fact, if someone does as much as even SAY marijuana, crack, or meth, they should get 20 years in prison.

It's the only way to stop people from taking drugs.
Gee, I was thinking stopping the writing of needless prescriptions would be a good start Maybe it's time people learn the solutions to most of life's adversities aren't found in bottles of Xanax, Valium, Prozac, etc. Then again I'm sure Big Pharma makes larger campaign contributions on both sides of the aisle than the weed industry so I guess we can scratch that idea.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:22 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,384,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I did not defend their actions. They clearly did wrong.

But that does not justify ruining their lives.

The war on drugs is clearly responsible for the extreme and unnecessary punishment that these kids will get.
So, what punishment will fit the crime?

You know, these individuals knew the law, knew the consequences and went on to sell their 'product', right?

It was their choice to line their pockets in this manner.

Should we change laws to merely reflect peoples intent rather than the consequences of their actions?

Hell, let's go raid the bank vaults then. Cut out these middlemen! Who's with me?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:36 AM

23,698 posts, read 17,372,961 times
"Students should be educated about drugs and helped with their drug problems. Instead, we throw them in jail"

So these kids who got into college knew nothing about drugs and drug laws?

I'd say stop wasting money on drug education. It works so well for cigarettes.

DARE is another useless program.

What bothers me is the money paid for drugs, supports Mexican drug lords and all the violence that follows. These kids should not be prosecuted for drug use as much as for treason. Tough to think of college students as victims when their action have real consequences for many other real victims of the drug trade. The numbers of dead piling up in Mexico directlt rest on the shoulders of the 17 'victims' at TCU.

Don't want to support anyone in prison with taxpayer money and would like to see other penalties applied for drug use.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 AM

31,297 posts, read 20,818,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
What bothers me is the money paid for drugs, supports Mexican drug lords and all the violence that follows. These kids should not be prosecuted for drug use as much as for treason. Tough to think of college students as victims when their action have real consequences for many other real victims of the drug trade. The numbers of dead piling up in Mexico directlt rest on the shoulders of the 17 'victims' at TCU.

Mexico has their own war on drugs.... and it's not working out very well.

And you don't know where these kids got their drugs. Drug production in the US and Canada is huge and the product these kids distributed could have been 100% produced there.

No, the number of dead Mexicans piling up rests squarely on the shoulders of the "war on drugs".

Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,717,869 times
Quote:
And you don't know where these kids got their drugs. Drug production in the US and Canada is huge and the product these kids distributed could have been 100% produced there.
Parts of rural Northern California consider marijuana an important part of the local agricultural economy. A local general store sold a T-shirt saying "let it grow" and one of the local papers discussed a community meeting where someone people complained marijuana growing next door was a nuisance but few suggested no growing in the area.

It's all for medicinal use of course, but a very large portion gets siphoned off into the black market.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,324,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Why did you stop there?
People that smoke cigarettes, eat fast food, drink alcohol, take prescription drugs, People that sun tan or people that don't exercise, People that don't dress reasonably in cold weather, People that go to work ill or don't take medication when they are sick, People that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, people that don't cover their mouths when they cough, etc, etc

-No Health Care, No Disability, No Nothing!!!

People that cause accidents by talking on the phone, talking with someone in the car or playing with the radio- STONED TO DEATH!
I think the point is drugs are illegal.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,324,940 times
Quote:
I did not defend their actions. They clearly did wrong.

But that does not justify ruining their lives.

The war on drugs is clearly responsible for the extreme and unnecessary punishment that these kids will get.
Heck, they will probably serve about 1/3 of whatever their sentence is. And lots of sentences are less than a yr for first time offense. Course, that depends whether it is a federal case.They ruined their own lives, and clearly possibly the lives of whomever they dealt to. If you want to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for the folks who lose their homes and have to live in a shelter, or the little kids walking thru unsafe city streets where dealers and customers hang out. Lots more folks that do deserve your empathy. What a waste.

Last edited by JanND; 02-18-2012 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,743,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Marijuana is a gateway substance. While many deny it's just 'recreational' and does not lead to other drug use, remember this:

Pushers DO believe it and practice their trade on the weakest.
Marijuana is no more a gateway substance than coffee.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,743,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree to an extent but some of us feel that a few laws (such as marijuana and hemp prohibition) are asinine and destructive. Outlawing a plant is as crazy to me as outlawing an animal. Man does not have that power nor will he ever.

Personally, I cannot morally or intellectually adhere to a law that outlaws a God-Given plant which has hundreds on known uses when there are "Pill Mills" in Florida that hand-out dangerous, addictive and man-made Opiate based pills by the thousands in a Cash-Only and legally operated business.

I cannot adhere to a law that outlaws a plant which has never killed anyone throughout it's very long (and legal) history when there is a Painkiller epidemic in our country that is killing more people than any illegal drugs have in the past.

Society dictates our laws-Not the other way around!
LOL, try making that eloquent statement to the elected politicians in Washington, DC. Or at your State Capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies