Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,384,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Students should be educated about drugs and helped with their drug problems. Instead, we throw them in jail and ruin their lives. There is nothing good coming out of the war on drugs. Drugs are ubiquitous and efforts to eliminate them will fail forever.

END THE WAR ON DRUGS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Authorities arrested 17 students at Texas Christian University on Wednesday as part of a six-month drug sting, an especially embarrassing blow to the school because it included four members of the high-profile football team.
Arrest warrants painted a startling picture of the Horned Frogs, with a handful of players who allegedly arranged marijuana sales after class or around practice and who told police that most of the team had failed a surprise drug test just two weeks ago.

TCU drug bust includes 4 football players - Yahoo! News
These are not young uneducated students, these are adults. Drug dealing has criminal charges. DUH! They ruined their own lives, as well as the lives of their customers. These are indefensible actions, they chose to do this. These are not street hardened folks who have no other way to support themselves (not that I support those dealers either) These are educated, possibly decent families in a Christian University!!! In my mind this makes it even worse! Go help folks that really need and deserve it!! There are probably hundreds of poor youth that would love the chance for a university degree!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 09:30 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,495,300 times
Someone goes to the hospital for a broken leg. Hospital does nothing for their broken leg , but instead breaks their arm. Then says " go out there and have a productive life, glad we could help"

Thats what the war on drugs does. Takes someone with a problem ( if it even is a problem) , does nothing to help them with their problem, but gives them a legal problem on top of it.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:40 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,190,395 times
Whether or not certain drugs are not as bad as others, these people went out of their way to perform illegal activities. I cannot feel sorry for them.

In retrospect, drinking soda isn't illegal, but when I was a child, if my father said, "Don't drink my soda", and I sneak around and steal some soda, and then put water in the bottle with the soda to make it appear that none had been taken, when I get caught, (And I did), the punishment was worse.

In this case, these people know it's illegal, (again, whether is should or shouldn't be is a different discussion), and they CHOSE to perform their actions anyway.

Like they told Charlie the tuna, "Sorry Charlie".

Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 AM

11,998 posts, read 13,021,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Whether or not certain drugs are not as bad as others, these people went out of their way to perform illegal activities. I cannot feel sorry for them.

In retrospect, drinking soda isn't illegal, but when I was a child, if my father said, "Don't drink my soda", and I sneak around and steal some soda, and then put water in the bottle with the soda to make it appear that none had been taken, when I get caught, (And I did), the punishment was worse.

In this case, these people know it's illegal, (again, whether is should or shouldn't be is a different discussion), and they CHOSE to perform their actions anyway.

Like they told Charlie the tuna, "Sorry Charlie".
I agree to an extent but some of us feel that a few laws (such as marijuana and hemp prohibition) are asinine and destructive. Outlawing a plant is as crazy to me as outlawing an animal. Man does not have that power nor will he ever.

Personally, I cannot morally or intellectually adhere to a law that outlaws a God-Given plant which has hundreds on known uses when there are "Pill Mills" in Florida that hand-out dangerous, addictive and man-made Opiate based pills by the thousands in a Cash-Only and legally operated business.

I cannot adhere to a law that outlaws a plant which has never killed anyone throughout it's very long (and legal) history when there is a Painkiller epidemic in our country that is killing more people than any illegal drugs have in the past.

Society dictates our laws-Not the other way around!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:56 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,056,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I agree to an extent but some of us feel that a few laws (such as marijuana and hemp prohibition) are asinine and destructive. Outlawing a plant is as crazy to me as outlawing an animal. Man does not have that power nor will he ever.

Personally, I cannot morally or intellectually adhere to a law that outlaws a God-Given plant which has hundreds on known uses when there are "Pill Mills" in Florida that hand-out dangerous, addictive and man-made Opiate based pills by the thousands in a Cash-Only and legally operated business.

I cannot adhere to a law that outlaws a plant which has never killed anyone throughout it's very long (and legal) history when there is a Painkiller epidemic in our country that is killing more people than any illegal drugs have in the past.

Society dictates our laws-Not the other way around!

Damn right!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 AM

17,424 posts, read 12,069,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Students should be educated about drugs and helped with their drug problems. Instead, we throw them in jail and ruin their lives. There is nothing good coming out of the war on drugs. Drugs are ubiquitous and efforts to eliminate them will fail forever.

END THE WAR ON DRUGS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — Authorities arrested 17 students at Texas Christian University on Wednesday as part of a six-month drug sting, an especially embarrassing blow to the school because it included four members of the high-profile football team.
Arrest warrants painted a startling picture of the Horned Frogs, with a handful of players who allegedly arranged marijuana sales after class or around practice and who told police that most of the team had failed a surprise drug test just two weeks ago.

TCU drug bust includes 4 football players - Yahoo! News
I agree. And when you can no longer work because you're so drugged up, you get NOTHING from taxpayer dollars. No disability, no free healthcare, no food stamps, no camping on public property, NOTHING. And if you resort to stealing for your habit, you get the death penalty. If you cause an accident because you're under the influence, you get the death penalty.

If you avoid all these things and manage to live your life on drugs with no cost to society, props to you. Otherwise, suffer the consequences of the life you've chosen to live.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I agree. And when you can no longer work because you're so drugged up, you get NOTHING from taxpayer dollars. No disability, no free healthcare, no food stamps, no camping on public property, NOTHING. And if you resort to stealing for your habit, you get the death penalty. If you cause an accident because you're under the influence, you get the death penalty.

If you avoid all these things and manage to live your life on drugs with no cost to society, props to you. Otherwise, suffer the consequences of the life you've chosen to live.
Why did you stop there?
People that smoke cigarettes, eat fast food, drink alcohol, take prescription drugs, People that sun tan or people that don't exercise, People that don't dress reasonably in cold weather, People that go to work ill or don't take medication when they are sick, People that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, people that don't cover their mouths when they cough, etc, etc

-No Health Care, No Disability, No Nothing!!!

People that cause accidents by talking on the phone, talking with someone in the car or playing with the radio- STONED TO DEATH!

Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,056,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Why did you stop there?
People that smoke cigarettes, eat fast food, drink alcohol, take prescription drugs, People that sun tan or people that don't exercise, People that don't dress reasonably in cold weather, People that go to work ill or don't take medication when they are sick, People that don't wash their hands after using the bathroom, people that don't cover their mouths when they cough, etc, etc

-No Health Care, No Disability, No Nothing!!!

People that cause accidents by talking on the phone, talking with someone in the car or playing with the radio- STONED TO DEATH!

I think you forgot about sex in your list. Sometimes that can be a dangerous activity.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I think you forgot about sex in your list. Sometimes that can be a dangerous activity.
LOL of course, how could I forget the only reasonable sex law that will protect ourselves from ourselves?

A man can only ejaculate into a woman's sexual organs and both partners must undergo testing and screening by Government officials beforehand and afterward.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM

31,309 posts, read 20,868,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
These are not young uneducated students, these are adults. Drug dealing has criminal charges. DUH! They ruined their own lives, as well as the lives of their customers. These are indefensible actions, they chose to do this. These are not street hardened folks who have no other way to support themselves (not that I support those dealers either) These are educated, possibly decent families in a Christian University!!! In my mind this makes it even worse! Go help folks that really need and deserve it!! There are probably hundreds of poor youth that would love the chance for a university degree!!
I did not defend their actions. They clearly did wrong.

But that does not justify ruining their lives.

The war on drugs is clearly responsible for the extreme and unnecessary punishment that these kids will get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies