Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:22 AM

45,214 posts, read 26,427,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Marijuana is a gateway substance. While many deny it's just 'recreational' and does not lead to other drug use, remember this:

Pushers DO believe it and practice their trade on the weakest.
The drug war has become a "gateway" to confiscating personal property/ wealth and imprisoning entire classes of people under the flimsiest of moral pretenses.

In case you haven't noticed, people have been doing drugs regardless of legality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Out here it's $100 for possession < 1 ounce
In Alaska, there is no penalty for possession of < 1 ounce of marijuana. Up to 24 marijuana plants may also be grown without penalty.

Source: Alaska Penalties

The Alaska Supreme Court decriminalized "personal use" marijuana in Ravin v. State (1975) on the grounds that it violated the State Constitution privacy provisions.

In 1998 58% of the voters approved Ballot Measure #8, which made medical marijuana legal. However, that ballot initiative also required the State to maintain a registry and issue medical marijuana ID cards.

Decriminalization is far more preferable than legalization. Legalization increases the size of government. Decriminalization reduces the size of government. Alaska has a mixture of both.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,733,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

Decriminalization is far more preferable than legalization. Legalization increases the size of government. Decriminalization reduces the size of government. Alaska has a mixture of both.

I'm not sure I understand your statement. If we eliminate all marijuana laws, it would be legal just like growing tomatoes and onions. How is that increasing government?

And my position is that weed should be just like tomatoes and onions. No taxes, no regulation, no government involvement.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:37 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm not sure I understand your statement. If we eliminate all marijuana laws, it would be legal just like growing tomatoes and onions. How is that increasing government?

And my position is that weed should be just like tomatoes and onions. No taxes, no regulation, no government involvement.
Decriminalization is the elimination of existing criminal laws. That includes the elimination of any State agency that was initially created to enforce those laws.

Legalization is the creation of new laws. Such as the Alaska Medical Marijuana initiative, that created a whole new State agency to certify applications, maintain a registry, and issue identification cards.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Decriminalization is the elimination of existing criminal laws. That includes any State agency that was initially created to enforce those laws.
Decriminalization means it's still illegal to sell and possess in large quantities. The marijuana has to come from somewhere so there is still a black market.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:03 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Marijuana is a gateway substance. While many deny it's just 'recreational' and does not lead to other drug use, remember this:

Pushers DO believe it and practice their trade on the weakest.
If marijuana is a gateway substance, then milk is to alcohol.

Most marijuana users don't use other drugs usually. Try, dabble, make mistakes, maybe. But most of us just settle back down to a toke a week or so, and no one is the wiser. One in three people you know, uses marijuana.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Quote:

Legalization means commercial operations, taxes, restrictions, etc. Decriminalization is preferable because you could grow your own.

It's likely that, if legalized, you would be restricted from growing it like you were restricted from brewing beer, and still distillation of alcohol.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,335 times
I just love sting operations. Police, who couldn't find a stolen locomotive if their lives depended on it, spend countless millions every year entrapping people who might not have broken any laws and send them to jail while ruining countless lives.

The criminal justice industry lobbies hard to disarm law abiding citizens and even imprisons them for defending their lives and property. Then it lures them into traps so it can high five it's-self yet can't seem to do anything about actual crime.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:18 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Decriminalization means it's still illegal to sell and possess in large quantities. The marijuana has to come from somewhere so there is still a black market.
How so?

Old 02-17-2012, 09:19 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,917 times
Quote:
Drug dealers are no different than you and I.

They are not scum.

Our Crony Capitalists are scum.
Don't include us in your definition. I do not deal drugs. I do not willingly and knowingly break the law engaging in activities that will cause harm to others by causing them to become in any way dependent on dangerous and illegal substances.

Dealers shoud do long prison sentences at the minimum. Turning them over to the families of those to whom they sold would be even better.

They may be no different from you. They are very different from me.

Yes, they are scum. Each and every one of them, and anyone engaging in such deserves to have their life ruined on the first offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies