Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 12:56 PM

82 posts, read 152,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
There are all sorts of conservatives. That's what the "conservatives", the extremists, don't seem to understand. As far as the blue collar folks go, well, it's the GOP which has sought to dismantle their lifestyles. It's an unprecidented, in my lifetime, attack on the workers in the country ... launched by the GOP across the country. Regarding rednecks ... they're not entitled to respect. Take the sheets off their heads, and expose them to the light! Maybe, like vampires, they'll burn-up in the Sun! There's always hope.
I think you mistake rednecks with white trash, a common mistake. Rednecks are honest hard working country folk. White trash are welfare recipient, high school drop outs who pump your gas at chevron. Big difference. Also I consider myself a traditional conservative and support Ron Paul although unfortunately I doubt he'll win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
That's a topic for a different thread. The subject of this thread is prejudice against blue collar people. Some of the harshest comments are against union workers. I've read comments in which they are described as lazy and spoiled. These comments seem to come mainly from conservatives, who are complaining about prejudice against blue collar workers.
I never said they were lazy and spoiled.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:06 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,220,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWdrifter View Post
I never said they were lazy and spoiled.
Many people have.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,751,535 times
Quote:
I live in a very liberal city in a very liberal part of the country and I hear this hatred so much it appalls me.
So move. I live in the south, and rednecks aren't exactly "disenfranchised."

Old 02-13-2012, 01:11 PM

It's not that liberals don't support our views it's that they portray anyone who isn't a latte sipping, white collar, liberal urban dweller as some backwoods inbred from deliverance. as far As the gay issue is concerned I don't give a damn if you like other men but, I have no obligation to support it.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
So move. I live in the south, and rednecks aren't exactly "disenfranchised."
I plan on moving when I go into the military.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:14 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,486,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I think a lot of it goes back to the gay issue. Most working class people are less educated and more likely to be religious and/or homophobic and that's what liberals are disgusted with. That, and they also tend to be global warming deniers or at least dont support global warming legislation.
Yes, but if you read sites like Kos, DU, or Media Matters, you will see on a regular basis the most disgusting attacks on basically poor people who happen to be white. This from a crowd who presents themselves as "tolerant" and "compassionate".

Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,172,493 times
AND ((((NO)))) YOU aren't riding in my truck if you hate firearms, my uniform or are gay!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,486,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
When did conservatism become synonymous with blue collar? To me you can't get any more blue collar than unions and most of the union bashing is coming from conservatives.
Aren't most blue collar workers non-union now?

Old 02-13-2012, 03:31 PM

30,902 posts, read 36,985,345 times
Quote:
Why is it that these days the only group still publicly humiliated on a day to day basis is conservative whites?

It may feel this way to you, but I assure you conservative whites are not the only maligned group. It probably feels that way because you live in a more liberal area, where prejudice against conservatives is high. But in more conservative areas, the opposite is true.

The REAL problem we have in the US is that a growing percentage of people live in close proximity to people who only think as they do, which makes people more extreme in their viewpoints, be they conservative or liberal.

At least a few centrists/leftists are staring to see this as a problem, as documented in Bill Bishop's book, The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like Minded America is Tearing Us Apart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies