Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 PM

56,966 posts, read 35,449,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Having some Influence and having a strong influence is two totally different things things. Trinidad is a diverse and open minded place that has its own culture. Home boy we don't beat drums we play on steelpans(invented in Trinidad.)
Drums, steelpans...whatever. The Clave is still African. All day long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,329,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm one of them. I know the specific country and ethnic group of my origins. So to use a name that encompasses an entire continent of diverse peoples seems absurd. Personally I prefer American, Black American or Ghanaian American.
Some blacks insist: 'I'm not African-American' *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/some-blacks-insist-im-1331589.html - broken link)

You are American with nice roots from Ghana.

After that twenty second revelation you are primarily left an American trying to do the best you can like everyone else. :-)

People are people IMO.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:20 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,838,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Having some Influence and having a strong influence is two totally different things things. Trinidad is a diverse and open minded place that has its own culture. Home boy we don't beat drums we play on steelpans(invented in Trinidad.)
I personally know Trinidadian steel drummers (including some of the top pan players and arrangers - do you want me to name names, or would they even ring a bell to you?) and other types of drummers. And don't try to pull that "you don't know ___" on me, panin, because I DO know. And....btw......plantains are as West African as Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. They are NOT Spanish.

You simply don't have the ammunition to argue with me. So don't even try.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,207,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
"His" false Gods, as opposed to the false Gods you worship, right?

You just gave yourself away with that one. You've been exposed.
Gave my self away with what? I'm not understaing your logic. I'm christian, so anything non christian is false to me.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,207,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I personally know Trinidadian steel drummers (including some of the top pan players and arrangers - do you want me to name names, or would they even ring a bell to you?) and other types of drummers. And don't try to pull that "you don't know ___" on me, panin, because I DO know. And....btw......plantains are as West African as Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. They are NOT Spanish.

You simply don't have the ammunition to argue with me. So don't even try.
Wrong! plantians are from asia brought to the new world by spaniards. Nice try though. Plantain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia And I don't care who you know my dad plays steel drums. Why I'm I even arguing with a non west indian. I can't teach you african culture, but I can school you all day about trinidaian culture. You can come down to Houston and I'll take you to my peoples house. Cook you a good meal and play you some parang, soca, calypso music.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM

12 posts, read 13,382 times
for me i personally do not like to use that term african american because my familys ancestors are not from africa! they came here from sicily,italy and the others are black foot indian and on my mothers side they are trinidadian and chinese but came from china./.....

Old 02-14-2012, 07:06 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,102,632 times
I think black is more accurate. Not all Black Americans have African heritage.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM

24,644 posts, read 38,838,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I think black is more accurate. Not all Black Americans have African heritage.
What Black Americans don't have African heritage?

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Location: The bustling, world-renowned downtown of Pataskala, OH
188 posts, read 198,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm one of them. I know the specific country and ethnic group of my origins. So to use a name that encompasses an entire continent of diverse peoples seems absurd. Personally I prefer American, Black American or Ghanaian American.
Some blacks insist: 'I'm not African-American' *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/some-blacks-insist-im-1331589.html - broken link)
Yeah, it's kinda funny when I'm around older or younger, less integrated white people who in some weird way think they're being pc to blacks calling them african-americans, and I cringe. Whenever I'm actually comfortable around black people enough to breech the subject of race, most of the time I've referred to blacks as African-Americans, there always seems to be an awkward pause or a muttered response, as if to say without saying, "I know you didn't call me a ****** or mean anything by it, but don't call me or blacks that''.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,722,452 times
I prefer the term black because quite frankly the term African American sounds vague and very boring. Its also probably why black people claim to be something else. Deep down, we just want to know where we are really from.
I envy people who know their roots whether they're from Ghana, Somalia or even from the islands like Haiti or Jamaica. I'd rather be referred to as any of those than African American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies