Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 11:35 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,144,707 times

Advertisements

I'm an American...period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM

782 posts, read 1,089,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I read that article yesterday. Very interesting with good points from various sides.

I actually recall that period in the 1970s when "Afro-American" was in vogue. I guess that the "Afro" style of big hair was also popular at the same time.

Anyway, a nice brief history of various terms that have been used since 1960 or so.
I thought the Afro big hair style was a cool look. I'm being serious.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:44 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,437,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Actually, no he's not. Please check this thread for the correct definition of African-American.
How is he not an African American?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,711,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Ask him. He'll tell you.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,458,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Read my first post in the thread.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:37 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,484,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Read my first post in the thread.
That seems like legitimate logic to me. It's like if someone referred to themselves as European-American or Asian--oh wait, people do refer to themselves as Asian-American.

Lol no but seriously, I can see where you're coming from OP. Africa is a big continent.

That said, terms tend to be dependent on how much specification is deemed appropriate within a culture. In other words, in America you're just Asian or African. In China, you're just a báirén--"white person". Chinese doesn't really make the distinction between different nationalities of white people in casual speech. They just see Whitey as Whitey. Of course, if you go more into detail you can say you're a fàguórén--"French person"--but if a Chinese speaker sees a white person on the street, they're just going to say báirén.

I am not for sure, but I'm willing to bet that in Ghana, they don't make the distinction between a Spaniard and a North Dakotan. So it isn't completely shocking that Americans generally don't distinguish between people from Ghana vs. the Ivory Coast vs. Benin, or between people from India vs. Bangladesh vs. Bhutan until they go into more detail.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 PM

164 posts, read 464,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I bet you're proud to call yourself an "American." Why do that when you can just call yourself a man?
Why should they call themselves "a man"? What does it matter which gender a human is? It makes me sad that people continue to define--and divide--themselves in such superficial ways.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,484,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
Why should they call themselves "a man"? What does it matter which gender a human is? It makes me sad that people continue to define--and divide--themselves in such superficial ways.
People act like it's this big thing to divide people when we say Black and White but think about it--we divide people up the same way we call someone "he" or "she"--we divide them up into either "male" or "female". Language in general is rife with divisions, and many of them we aren't even aware of because they are so far ingrained in our language. It might be sad, and I do agree that we get caught up in definitions, but is it really a shocker we have terms like Black and White?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:19 AM

164 posts, read 464,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
People act like it's this big thing to divide people when we say Black and White but think about it--we divide people up the same way we call someone "he" or "she"--we divide them up into either "male" or "female". Language in general is rife with divisions, and many of them we aren't even aware of because they are so far ingrained in our language. It might be sad, and I do agree that we get caught up in definitions, but is it really a shocker we have terms like Black and White?
Exactly. It makes no sense to say that someone who regularly refers to their ethnic background should stop being divisive and "just" identify themselves by race or nationality, since race and nationality are categories that are as "divisive" as ethnicity. When people say this, it's as though they think that a person's country, their coloring and the width and shape of their facial features are the sole relevant attributes of that person, even though there are all other kinds of personal characteristics that are just as basic, or more so. One of them is gender, as you mention. More examples are age, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, language and--the big one--species.

Self-description is not necessarily division.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,891,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well -- why should blacks have to have a hyphen or imply they've got ties to another continent if they don't?

Not many with European ancestry go around referring to themselves as European-Americans. Why would they?
Probably because most of our skin color ISN'T black. When's the last time you actually saw a BLACK person in America?

I'm not a major fan of the term African-American either, but Black or Negro isn't much better. What else is left? I already call myself "American" the majority of the time but other people aren't satisfied with using that sole definition of who I am. I'll always be a ____ guy, never just an American guy or a "guy". (See government statistical categories and everyday people of all races, including mine).

Last edited by Freedom123; 02-09-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies