Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,924,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
if by "core values" you mean a state run for corporations, by corporations, then yes.

of course, i wouldn't want to diminish all the work the Democrats have done in hollowing out America in favor of multinationals, but they just can't compete with the GOP's organization and propaganda.
Nice slick, underhanded way of saying "Globalization is the lesser of two evils over Corporatism"

Even though they correlate....

I don't understand how you can discern what one party has done from the other in the last 30 years or so. There is tons of overlap.

To answer the OP question... No, I think the "good ol' days" are long gone. It's not coming back. I will leave it up to the individuals perception if that is good or bad.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:14 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,449,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Hardly. Look at energy, Enron, tax breaks for the wealthy, patriot act, etc.

Energy?

$1.30 for a gallon of gas?

Oh the horror!

Enron was Clinton's doing.

Those tax breaks for the wealthy are now Obama's tax breaks for the wealthy.

We wouldn't need a Patriot Act or anything like it if Clinton hadn't given us a 25% attrition rate at the CIA and no response to any of al Qaeda's repeated attacks except firing million dollar missiles into an empty valley in Afghanistan.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:26 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,549,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minneapolisville View Post
After growing up primarily in Bush's era, a republican president does feel more normal, and I'll admit, having Obama as president has been "Weird". I prefer Obama, but it does feel like his presidency has been much shakier and on edge compared to that of Bush, which was comfortable and solid. I don't particularly believe in any of the republican candidates right now, but I have to admit, Mitt Romney seems like a guy I could get used to at least.
Really? You thought 9/11, getting distracted by the misguided and mismanaged war in Iraq, losing sight of our actual #1 enemy, letting people drown in New Orleans, torture, and economic catastrophe following an asset bubble was "comfortable and solid"?

Well, whatever. I'll grant, the GOP does seem to be all about letting the rich run wild, and racism, so yeah, getting them back in the WHite House would let us get "back to normal". I just don't think that "normal" is a good thing.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:00 PM

27,692 posts, read 28,810,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I think you're right. We need at least one more war......maybe two, to get things back to normal.
There's one war that I'm fairly sure is inevitable - with Iran. Not that I'm hoping for it. But I don't see any way to avoid it given what the ruling class of that nation stands for and the nature of their activities.

Most likely, it's going to be a collateral effort.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,647,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Bush's big flaw was the Iraq war. If that unfortunate mistake hadn't happened, then he would have been quite a normal president.
Absolutely. Completely. Wrong.

Bush mistakes, the short list:

War in Iraq

Handling of Afghanistan

Patriot Act

Creation of Department of Homeland Security (biggest new bureaucracy in decades which also federalized airport security so grandma can get bra checks)

No Child Left Behind-centralized federal power over education more than anything since the Dept of Education was created in 1979 (Newt approved!)

Medicare part D prescription drug coverage, the biggest medicare expansion in over 35 years, creating $trillions$ in unfunded liabilities

American Dream Down Payment Act which subsidized down payments to help those who already couldn't afford the loan they wanted get a loan they couldn't afford a down payment on.

The Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 signed by Bush in February 2008 at a cost of $152 billion (hey teabaggers, where were ya?)

Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (aka TARP), at $700billion

For those that say other than Iraq, Bush was a good president, you must LOVE President Obama! He's growing government and spending at just below or about equal to George W's first term!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,035,872 times
Quote:
Whenever a Democrat has been president in my lifetime, somehow it always feels like a distraction or aberration of some kind. That's been the case with Carter, Clinton and Obama. Somehow, those presidencies didn't feel "normal" or "right".

Do you think that when a Republican gets elected, then America will once again return to its core values?
It only feels that way because Repubs and talk radio show pundits direct the indifference and hostility Dem administration. No party holds a monopoly on "core values". You really should KNOW that.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:53 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,313,883 times
What was normal? It wasn't very nice when a Republican was President either. I can't believe anyone would completely forget just how the past years were before Obama. I'm not a Democrat either. It's kind of sad that people actually go around with these kinds of mindsets. :/

Old 01-23-2012, 10:30 PM

27,240 posts, read 15,408,214 times
ON the bright side, we'll never see what we knew long ago, don't even want to think of the dark side.

Both parties are crap and corrupt as all get out.
We know it and have stood by and let it happen because we never took the charge to be "ever vigilant" seriously.

Only our selves to blame.
Morality today is what ever you want it to be and that's sad.
The rest just follows after that "wisdom" is accepted.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:13 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,568,938 times
Quote:
Whenever a Democrat has been president in my lifetime, somehow it always feels like a distraction or aberration of some kind. That's been the case with Carter, Clinton and Obama. Somehow, those presidencies didn't feel "normal" or "right".

Do you think that when a Republican gets elected, then America will once again return to its core values?
If you call the 8 years of tyrannical dictatorship under Bush normal, you need to see a shrink. That was probably the worst decade in American history followed closely by the Nixon decade.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,241,486 times
Quote:
No, but it will slow the descent into the maelstrom and possibly buy us some time to come up with a viable alternative to our corrupt poilitical process. We have no good choices (except Ron Paul) and we are always given the choice between two evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies