Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 03:23 PM

28,336 posts, read 16,490,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Bloomberg was mentioned in the link and Obama happens to be the one who is working "beneath the radar" according to what he said to Ms. Brady. I happen to have a thread about Obama and his beneath the radar comment on the board at this time.

I don't think that New York can charge the fool amounts when those people are licensed in other states. The jail sentence, possible, is worse yet until they tell those states what happens to their people if they conceal carry in New York so they can tell their people that New York does not recognize their law.
Ignorance is no excuse for the law.

As a gun owner, it is YOUR responsibility to know the laws of any states that you are travelling through with your guns. This is one of the first things they teach you in CCW classes.

I thought the Repubs were all about personal responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM

39,955 posts, read 26,704,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Ignorance is no excuse for the law.

As a gun owner, it is YOUR responsibility to know the laws of any states that you are travelling through with your guns. This is one of the first things they teach you in CCW classes.

I thought the Repubs were all about personal responsibility?
You must have a heck of a memory. You can remember the nuances of the law, no matter how arbitrary or silly, in every city and town you travel into? If NYC can criminalize ownership of certain firearms within the city, there is nothing to stop my city from criminalizing the ownership of certain cars. Lets see...I hate Priuses...maybe my city can criminalize them. Lets not put up signage, heck if you're responsible enough to drive, you have a responsibility to know the laws of the cities you are traveling through. Same logic...or lack of same.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You must have a heck of a memory. You can remember the nuances of the law, no matter how arbitrary or silly, in every city and town you travel into? If NYC can criminalize ownership of certain firearms within the city, there is nothing to stop my city from criminalizing the ownership of certain cars. Lets see...I hate Priuses...maybe my city can criminalize them. Lets not put up signage, heck if you're responsible enough to drive, you have a responsibility to know the laws of the cities you are traveling through. Same logic...or lack of same.

Please cite for me one single court case where the "But, but, but, I didn't know it was illegal!" defense has been sufficient. Just one.

I'll wait.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,231,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If they are intelligent enough to apply for and obtain a conceal carry permit in their home state, they should be intelligent enough to understand that different states have different rules. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. If you are traveling to another state, you have to follow the laws of that state. Just because one state has speed limits of 85 mph on interstate highways doesn't mean that every other state has the same laws. A child can understand that. This issue has nothing to do with Obama or Bloomberg. The State of New York has laws regarding guns that their citizens and visitors to the state are obligated to follow. If said citizens and visitors don't obey the laws, they are subject to being arrested, tried and penalized for not obeying the laws. And the same is true of every other state.
New York state law has little to do with possessing a handgun in New York City. It is against the law to have a gun inside New York City without a city permit. Even C&C licenses granted by the state of New York does not give the bearer a right to even have a gun in his possession except in uniterrupted travel through the city with the gun unloaded and locked inside a case.

NRA-ILA: New York City Firearms Laws (http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/nyc.aspx - broken link)

So it would seem that Bloomberg might have a spoon in the pot.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Please cite for me one single court case where the "But, but, but, I didn't know it was illegal!" defense has been sufficient. Just one.

I'll wait.
Lambert v. California

Cheek v. United States

Here are two,....and there are probably more.

But,...you only asked for one........

Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 AM

Broken links?

I Googled those cases, though. I stand corrected.

My earlier statement still stands, however. The onus is on the gun owner to know the laws of the states and cities in which he intends to transport his guns. I doubt this guy would ever get away with arguing ignorance of the law, nor should he. I own guns. When I transport guns outside of my city/county/state I research the local laws. Hell, there are even websites specifically for that purpose, like gunlaws.com.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Broken links?

I Googled those cases, though. I stand corrected.

My earlier statement still stands, however. The onus is on the gun owner to know the laws of the states and cities in which he intends to transport his guns. I doubt this guy would ever get away with arguing ignorance of the law, nor should he. I own guns. When I transport guns outside of my city/county/state I research the local laws. Hell, there are even websites specifically for that purpose, like gunlaws.com.
I found it interesting that cities (like New York City) can have their own laws that supercede the state law regarding handguns. Looks like we need a federal handgun license that would be accepted in every city and state, and let the feds set the requirements. Same should apply for automobile titles and the minimum requirements for liability insurance on automobiles.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:32 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,672,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Bloomberg was mentioned in the link and Obama happens to be the one who is working "beneath the radar" according to what he said to Ms. Brady. I happen to have a thread about Obama and his beneath the radar comment on the board at this time.

I don't think that New York can charge the fool amounts when those people are licensed in other states. The jail sentence, possible, is worse yet until they tell those states what happens to their people if they conceal carry in New York so they can tell their people that New York does not recognize their law.

Please clarify this. or at least unravel it....

gun laws in NYC are not useless, lol, ask anyone who ever had to take a subway there.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 PM

14,490 posts, read 26,672,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
By the way...I'd STILL like to know how Obama is responsible for New York law and the enforcement of it, conspiracy or not.
lol...you cant expect Glenn Beck to comprehend the difference between federal and state law, as well as city ordinances.... [sarc.]

Its just easier to blame all legal statutes since 1960 on Obama

Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,354,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
Some people hate Obama so much that it borders on unhealthy obsession. Other people don't care much for the 10th amendment
And some people are so head over heels in love with Obama that it borders on unhealthy obsession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies