Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2011, 08:14 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times

Advertisements

Why do these non-profit entities who force people to pay dues to them as a condition of their employment get bonuses?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 08:32 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why do these non-profit entities who force people to pay dues to them as a condition of their employment get bonuses?
Unions started in the United States to keep blacks and Asians out of the workforce.

They have been tied to the Mafia since the beginning.

40 hour work week was started in non-union shops. (Endicott-Johnson and Ford in the 1890s and early 1900s)

Health insurance for employees was started in non-union shops. Endicott-Johnson and defense contractors. 1890s and WW2)

Wages were rising in non-union manufacturing shops at much higher rates from 1860-1914 than after the unions started gaining power in the 30s. (50% from 1860-1890 and another 34% 1890-1914, adjusted for inflation).

Child labor in manufacturing was virtually eradicated by capitalists by 1920. But unions claim credit for getting rid of it by getting laws passed in 1937.

Unions are nothing more than racist mafia types that will lie, scam and cheat about anything to get money and power.

That's why they get bonuses.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:37 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Why do corporate managers, CEOs your newspaper delivery person, hairdresser, etc., etc. get bonuses and tips around the holidays? Figure that one out and you might understand that getting bonuses is not exclusive to union members. But then we all know this is just another one of your union bashing threads and you could care less how and where the tradition started.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:39 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Unions are nothing more than racist mafia types that will lie, scam and cheat about anything to get money and power.

That's why they get bonuses.
Sounds about right. That's usually how the world works.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why do corporate managers, CEOs your newspaper delivery person, hairdresser, etc., etc. get bonuses and tips around the holidays? Figure that one out and you might understand that getting bonuses is not exclusive to union members. But then we all know this is just another one of your union bashing threads and you could care less how and where the tradition started.
Because they're in the private sector and if they do a good job, they get bonuses. They are for profit entities and anyone of us is free to march away from these banks like I did, and go to a credit union.

My issue is that these employees are forced into these unions against their will, they pay dues and then the union employees get bonuses. I find it bizarre that non-profit, political entities, like unions get bonuses

Are Union bonuses tied to how many small businesses you can close down or something?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Because they're in the private sector and if they do a good job, they get bonuses. They are for profit entities and anyone of us is free to march away from these banks like I did, and go to a credit union.

My issue is that these employees are forced into these unions against their will, they pay dues and then the union employees get bonuses. I find it bizarre that non-profit, political entities, like unions get bonuses

Are Union bonuses tied to how many small businesses you can close down or something?
Boy are you ever confused this morning.

1) Most union members don't mind paying union dues because they realize the union is there to help workers.

2) Not all union members get bonuses. Those are usually contractual between the company and the unions and the companies are more than free to hold out at negotiation times and not agree to pay bonuses to their workers. And many worker bonuses are tied to the company's profit margins so the bonuses fluctuate in value from year to year---just like they do for the CEOs of a company. Other union/company contracts tie bonuses to pension funds excesses. If invested funds show good returns on a particular year they are allowed to pay out Christmas bonuses, but this is regulated by government so if the stock market didn't do well for the pension fund an any particular year, the Christmas bonuses might not be paid at all that year.

3) Companies that are closed down can't pay provide jobs much less pay their workers bonuses so it's just plain silly and absurd on your part to suggest closing down companies is in the mission statement of any union.

Did Santa leave you a lump of coal this morning? You sure seem out of sorts on this fine Christmas day.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:22 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,196 times
If the union and the company agreed to such an arrangement, why is that anybody else's business? In a free market, labor and management are free to enter into any agreement that they want. I do not have a problem with PRIVATE unions. Public unions however should be restricted from political activity of any kind.

Old 12-25-2011, 09:27 AM

To be clear, I'm not talking about union members getting bonuses, I am talking about the employees of unions getting bonuses. Where is the outrage there?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:29 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Why do these wall street banksters that caused the economic collapse get bonuses? Rig executives get bonuses for their "excellent" safety record????? The company that help foul the Gulf with crude oil had an excellent safety record? Really?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
To be clear, I'm not talking about union members getting bonuses, I am talking about the employees of unions getting bonuses. Where is the outrage there?
Jealous?
What difference does it make to you if you're not a member of that union?
Aaaah, you just want to spread your hatred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies