Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 11:40 AM

56,966 posts, read 35,449,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
He knows, Detroiter, but he's just not willing to give away the Republican union busting playbook. Republicans know that taking rights away from cops and firefighters would sway public opinion against their master plan the way it's happening in WI and OH.
LMAO....exactly.

Frank is too smart for me to accept that answer, but i don't wanna argue with him about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 11:42 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,377,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Actually private sector unions do have laws that favor them.

If a non-union worker decides he is not going to work because an employer won't meet his demands tha employee will likely lose the job. A union guy can walk off the job and refuse to work and still have the job when he decides to work again.

If a non-union worker is replaced by someone else and he decides to commit violence against someone then he will go to jail. Courts have oftentimes overlooked violence by union members against non-union members.

Those are just a couple examples. There are dozens more.

That reminds me. If unions were really about workers then they wouldn't have a problem with strike-busters. (Or as union thugs call them, "scabs"). After all, the scab is a worker too. He came to a legal agreement to trade his labor for a paycheck. If the unions were really about workers then they wouldn't have a problem with a scab. And they certainly wouldn't commit physical violence against him as they so often do.
Federal work place laws apply to all workers, not just union shops. What you're talking about in the first paragraph is a bargained right between the union and the company.

The second paragraph is just plain too ridiculous to even address. Do you really believe that kind of garbage coming out of your mouth? That goes for the forth paragraph as well i.e. union "thugs" went the way of Jimmy Hoffa many decades ago.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:53 AM

25,944 posts, read 16,714,869 times
Quote:
Lols.

Do unions fight for equal rights for a "scab"?

I think you need to stop rewriting history. Unions started to keep blacks and Asians out of the workforce.

All one has to do is look at the demographic makeup of non-union shops versus union shops. It becomes pretty obvious the capitalist doesn't care about race. The union does.

Plus, almost every powerful union boss has been tied to the mafia. Lots of them went to jail to because of it. But we know the mafia has been racist towards blacks. lols.
I think you have watched F.I.S.T too many times. That's Hollywood, not reality.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Answer the question.

You sound like some of my liberal/leftist friends and relatives....."but the republicans do it too!".
What question? I don't see on in your post and if you're referring to the OP's question, I already answered that on the first page.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:02 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,194,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why do these non-profit entities who force people to pay dues to them as a condition of their employment get bonuses?
The word you are looking for is extortion.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I can't speak to Wisconsin.

But no one in the Ohio government is triying to take away union members rights.
You can't be that out of touch with the news that you're totally unaware of the governor/state trying to curtails collective-bargaining rights in Ohio and the backlash that is taking place there! Even people who get their news by carrier pigeon know about it by now.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 12-25-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 12-25-2011, 12:41 PM

4,535 posts, read 4,963,484 times
Why do tons of CEOs on Wall St. continue to get multi million dollar bonuses for driving their companies into the ground and also after tax payer bailouts?

Old 12-25-2011, 02:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,743,083 times
Quote:
In some cases.

The vast majority of unions started top keep blacks and Asians form "taking" jobs from white people.

Look at immigration statistics from the late 1800s and early 1900s. Millions and millions of workers were leaving Europe to come to the U.S.

Europe was heavily unionized, the U.S. was less than 3% unionized. Europe had all kind of workplace laws, the U.S. didn't. But the workers were moving to the non-union U.S. If unions were so great these people would have never left.

This has always been true. Look where jobs are being created now. It aint in union states. The only expception is people from the South moving to Detroit in the 40s and 50s. Other than that workers always migrate to non-union areas.

That's all anyone needs to know about unions to see they are a joke.

Unions in some areas may well have perverted the system in order to exclude this ethnic group or that, but I don't believe for a second that it's the reason trade unionism came into existence.

Unions arose in response to horrific abuses of workers, up to and including murder. Of course the robber barons miss those good old days...human nature hasn't changed. What is inexplicable to me is that many of today's workers, who take for granted many things that the unions fought for and won for everybody, now want to cast their lot with today's robber barons.

I see unionism as a penduluum...greedy management at one extreme and greedy unions at the other extreme. If unions disappear...they'll be back one day. Despite what Rush and Fox is telling Joe Sixpack....Joe ain't going to like 1900.

PS: I'm not and have never been a member of a union...my views on the subject have been formed by reading history.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:20 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You can't be that out of touch with the news that you're totally unaware of the governor/state trying to curtails collective-bargaining rights in Ohio and the backlash that is taking place there! Even people who get their news by carrier pigeon know about it by now.
I live 5 minutes from the Ohio Statehouse. I probably know what is going on here more than you.

Collective bargaining is not a right in Ohio. Anyone that says it is is either ignorant or a liar. Take your pick.

And here's a little secret the news didn't tell you: several cities in Ohio don't have collective bargaining and never have. And they are doing just fine. And the local public union members there are just fine. Even saw quotes in the papers where they say so.

And over 93% of the school levies that were up for renewal in November FAILED. But who cares. The union got what they wanted. Screw the kids.

School district after school district in Ohio is now laying off hundreds of teachers/staff. They are consolidating classrooms so there will now bw up to 40 kids per room. Forget about art, music and sports.

And since Senate Bill 5 was rejected several districts have used collevtive bargaining to obtain step raises for union members.

Trust me, I wish Governor Kasich was trying to do what he is accused of. It would be nice to rid the schools of these union criminals.

By the way, I look at every major paper in Ohio almost daily. Do you?

Old 12-25-2011, 04:22 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,529,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Unions in some areas may well have perverted the system in order to exclude this ethnic group or that, but I don't believe for a second that it's the reason trade unionism came into existence.

Unions arose in response to horrific abuses of workers, up to and including murder. Of course the robber barons miss those good old days...human nature hasn't changed. What is inexplicable to me is that many of today's workers, who take for granted many things that the unions fought for and won for everybody, now want to cast their lot with today's robber barons.

I see unionism as a penduluum...greedy management at one extreme and greedy unions at the other extreme. If unions disappear...they'll be back one day. Despite what Rush and Fox is telling Joe Sixpack....Joe ain't going to like 1900.

PS: I'm not and have never been a member of a union...my views on the subject have been formed by reading history.
Unions started to exclude blacks and Asians from the workplace.

And unions never won anything for workers. Capitalism did.

You should look at what the union bosses and members said and did when unions were gaining power. It's pretty obvious they were racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies