Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,587,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Did the OP actually argue that students cannot be expelled for bad behavior?

Why the hell not?

Throw the bums out.

do they get a refund for the thousdands of dollars they've spent on their education?

they aren't 'bum's they're regular human beings and this isn't high school. they've paid a lot of money to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 10:09 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,418,558 times
Did the Duke Lacrosse kids get kicked off campus before anything went to trial?

Just asking.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:16 AM

46,059 posts, read 61,603,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post

Just asking.

If I recall correctly they were suspended from school so, yes.

The difference may also be that the Howard incident happened on-campus in campus housing.

When I was in college in the early 1970's an incident like fighting in the dorm would get you kicked out of the building but not necessarily off campus. The Howard incident sounds like it escalated way beyond a typical slapping, hair pulling fight if one did throw the scalding water on the other.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:39 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,139,262 times
Kick em out of student housing. Actually her credits will transfer. The school should pay her back for her current tuition though and classes she's enrolled in if they want to boot her out of the entire university. Seems a bit extreme to me for a fight. Let law enforcement deal with it. It didn't happen in class or disrupt classes or anything. I guess fights at football games will be getting folks kicked out next?? Plenty of football players at KU back in the day used to get in brawls all the time at their on campus housing and never got kicked out of the university. Hell there were always fights at frat parties and the like. 18-20 yo's with belly's full of beer make bad mixes at times. This case seems strange.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Kick em out of student housing. Actually her credits will transfer. The school should pay her back for her current tuition though and classes she's enrolled in if they want to boot her out of the entire university. Seems a bit extreme to me for a fight. Let law enforcement deal with it. It didn't happen in class or disrupt classes or anything. I guess fights at football games will be getting folks kicked out next?? Plenty of football players at KU back in the day used to get in brawls all the time at their on campus housing and never got kicked out of the university. Hell there were always fights at frat parties and the like. 18-20 yo's with belly's full of beer make bad mixes at times. This case seems strange.

agreed. college isn't like high school. they've paid thousands of dollars for a service, if the university doesn't want to provide that service than they need to offer a refund.

like if someone paid for a stereo, either they get the stereo or they get a refund at least

Old 11-20-2011, 05:04 AM

46,059 posts, read 61,603,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
agreed. college isn't like high school. they've paid thousands of dollars for a service, if the university doesn't want to provide that service than they need to offer a refund.

like if someone paid for a stereo, either they get the stereo or they get a refund at least

The university is not providing the service due to an action/behavior of the student so why should there be a refund?

You buy a new stereo and drop it down your stairs when you're taking it into the house and you expect a refund?

If some of you have gone to college, and sometimes I doubt it from some of the crap that's posted (or if you did you truly did waste your money) you should know that refunds are rare and happen only if a very limited set of circumstances occur, usually within the first couple weeks of classes. Expecting a refund due to your own illegal actions/violation of dorm and college rules is unrealistic. Or another example of the entitlement mentality of Gen Y.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The university is not providing the service due to an action/behavior of the student so why should there be a refund?

You buy a new stereo and drop it down your stairs when you're taking it into the house and you expect a refund?

If some of you have gone to college, and sometimes I doubt it from some of the crap that's posted (or if you did you truly did waste your money) you should know that refunds are rare and happen only if a very limited set of circumstances occur, usually within the first couple weeks of classes. Expecting a refund due to your own illegal actions/violation of dorm and college rules is unrealistic. Or another example of the entitlement mentality of Gen Y.

i have two bachelors degrees. and being kicked out of the dorm is different than being kicked out your extremely expensive classes. and if you drop a stero when taking it into your house you sure as heck do get a refund, either through the store or the manufacturer.

if i were them i'd sue, or simply not pay it.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,541,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post

Just asking.
Yup, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson made sure of it.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:29 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,541,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
i have two bachelors degrees. and being kicked out of the dorm is different than being kicked out your extremely expensive classes. and if you drop a stero when taking it into your house you sure as heck do get a refund, either through the store or the manufacturer.

if i were them i'd sue, or simply not pay it.
And you would lose.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
And you would lose.

How would you lose? if i'm paying thousands of dollars for something then i would expect to get what i paid for. that's called stealing and or breach of contract.

If i get kicked out of my apartment for fighting with a roommate does that mean that i have to give my landlord my car?

makes no sense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies