Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,340,608 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't the implementation of Islam take care of GID?

1,300 posts, read 963,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
However, by blocking puberty, you can make the transisition that much smoother.

Waiting until one's an adult to transition (Especially "waiting till 25", as it's been said in this thread previously), and allowing testosterone to take ahold of the body during puberty, makes the transition that much harder.

Basically, the less testosterone, the better.

The problem with this is that the presence of testosterone itself influences the ultimate decision and preference of the child, so blocking it unaturally influences the decision in a particular direction.
(not suggesting wait till 25. 17 or 18 is old enough)

17,842 posts, read 14,401,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Yep. I just keep repeating myself. I don't know how many more times I can say "the decision is Tammy's, not ours; the parents are letting Tammy decide for herself."
If ignorance is bliss, I wonder if willful ignorance and bigotry is pure ecstasy? Some people seem to be addicted to it.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh boy. How many times do we take what a 3 year old says as gospel and KNOWING what they're talking about.
Oh boy. You're still posting and you haven't yet read the article or watched the video. What does that say about you?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,053,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
The problem with this is that the presence of testosterone itself influences the ultimate decision and preference of the child
Not really, no.

Allowing testosterone to take growth may have more of a harmful effect on the child's psychosis than just blocking puberty.

This is the safe route. 3-4 years, blocking testosterone/estrogen, and after that, either allowing puberty to take its natural course, or begin HRT.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 AM

913 posts, read 873,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
And yet another person who can't be bothered spending a few minutes reading the article and watching the video for the facts of this story.

It's like an epidemic of willful ignorance.
thanks, but i read the article.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Perhaps Tammy is with them for a reason?

Considering that she has older brothers whom do not have GID, one could plausibly determine that the parents are not the cause of this.
Frankly I think the child is extremely lucky to have been adopted by these women. Imagine if Tammy had been adopted by some of the willfully ignorant bigots on this thread.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,338,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
This is exactly why we need to study and eventually medically treat people with the mental disorder of homosexuality. I'm all for gay couples adopting but not when they allow their mental condition to spread over to adopted children. Hormone blocking at 11 years old to prevent puberty? Come the F on now.

Uh, he still would have felt the same way if he had straight parents. the difference is that with more conservative straight parents these feelings would have went underground and would have resurfaced later on in life.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
'Tammy' is a child.

My grandson doesn't want to do homework, because he wants to play.

Should we force him to do homework, or just let him play? He says he doesn't want to go to college, why should we bother to make him go to the 5th grade. If that is what he wants, no more school for him.

What if this kid gets to puberty and then decides, I want to be a boy now?

What if he wants to commit suicide? It's what he wants to do. Let him blow his brains out?

Parents need to be adults. They need to think what is best for the child.
The parents are doing what is best for their child. If you bothered to read the article you would know that they are delaying puberty for a few years so Tammy will be old enough to decide.

If she decides she wants to "be a boy now" then they just stop the hormone blocking treatment and allow puberty to occur.

As about 50% of children with GID do attempt suicide when going through puberty, would you prefer the parents to do nothing and the child "blows her brains out"?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
It doesnt matter when they are aware of this, they are still too young and un developed. Changing your gender is so life altering and serious I don't even think a 16 year old can be ready to make that decision.

I was also 8 years old when I realized I wanted a tattoo. Thank god my mom wasn't "open minded" (libs love that term) enough to let me get it. Otherwise I would be in my late 20s still walking around with a bart simpson tattoo on my forehead and regretting it every day.

Oh well, if this issue is okay, then I think tattoos on children should also be legal. Time to invest in childrens flash art.
Tatoos? Are you serious? We are talking about gender identity disorder, not a tatoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies