Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 PM

4,006 posts, read 10,897,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
And what do you think would happen if unions simply went away? Don't you think big corporations might try to whittle down those workers' rights, seeing as there's now no one to oppose them? Do you honestly think that without someone to advocate for workers, that workers' rights would remain? No, they wouldn't remain. They wouldn't go away instantly, but it would be piecemeal, before you know it.

We don't disband the military after winning a war, so why would we disband unions after workers got their rights?
No, I do not think we will see that to any significant degree at all. The flourishing right to work states are proof. Contrary to popular belief of those that do not reside in one, it is not akin to being in an enslavement camp. In fact, middle class in my area is FAR stronger than my relatives heavily unionized state. I am very fortuitous my parents had the foresight to move us away from there in the 1970's. I actually get to be rewarded on my own merit, instead of grouped in with slackers when determing my market value.
Personally, I think everyone should be their own corporation so you can really control your own destiny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:07 PM

59,543 posts, read 27,902,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Republicans Barred From Wisconsin Town's Labor Day Parade : The Two-Way : NPR

It's about time the Wisconsin republican legislature got a chance to feel a little of the wrath of the working folks. Vote 'em all out, Wisconsin! We're with you all the way!
I'll remember those thought the next time there is a St.Patrick's Day parade put on by PRIVATE clubs and the gays and lesbians complain that THEY can't participate.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:25 PM

10,854 posts, read 15,030,022 times
Quote:

It's about time the Wisconsin republican legislature got a chance to feel a little of the wrath of the working folks. Vote 'em all out, Wisconsin! We're with you all the way!
Remember the violent and disgusting demonstrations over Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker doing away with the collective bargaining for teacher's unions? The results are in. Some school districts went from a $400,000 deficit to a $1,500,000 surplus as a result. Why?

It seems that the insurance company that provided all the "so-called" benefits to the teachers, was an insurance company owned and operated by the teacher's union. Since they were guaranteed to get the insurance business from the teachers and the State had to pay for it, and not the teachers, they were increasing the annual costs every single year to become the most expensive insurance company in the state. Then the insurance company was donating millions and millions of dollars to their favorite Democrat politicians, who when they got elected, guaranteed to keep funding the unions outrageous costs. In other words, the insurance company was a "pass through" for Wisconsin taxpayer money directly to the Democrat politicians. Nice racket, and this is the racket that is going on in every single State that allows collective bargaining. No wonder the States are taking it away.

Now that the State of Wisconsin is free to put the insurance contract out for bid, lo and behold, they have saved so much money it has turned deficits into surplus amounts. As a result, none of the teachers had to be laid off, everyone got a raise, etc., etc. And the taxpayers of Wisconsin don't have to pay more taxes to fund the union's political ambitions.

With this sort of putrid corruption I, as a taxpayer, am all for war with the unions.

Come on clowns, bring it on!

Wisconsin schools buck union to cut health costs | Byron York | Politics | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2011/07/wisconsin-schools-buck-union-cut-health-costs - broken link)

Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,060,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Fair enough...keep Dems out of the Independence Day parade!
No, I think Democrats should barred from CORPORATE GREED PRIDE PARADE, you know the one where embezzling CEOs and Wall Street types hold banners that read "Only the 'Little People' Should Pay Taxes" and "Abolish The Minimum Wage" and "Working People Are Losers And Don't Deserve Health Insurance."

Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,131,752 times
Quote:

Yeah, they really got hammered during the recalls! *snicker*

Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 PM

78,860 posts, read 47,031,750 times
Quote:

That would be against 1st amendment rights, unless there was no other political presence there.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,652,799 times
How petty. And ironic. Liberals don't involve themselves in labor whatsoever.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:20 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,649,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
No, I do not think we will see that to any significant degree at all. The flourishing right to work states are proof. Contrary to popular belief of those that do not reside in one, it is not akin to being in an enslavement camp. In fact, middle class in my area is FAR stronger than my relatives heavily unionized state. I am very fortuitous my parents had the foresight to move us away from there in the 1970's. I actually get to be rewarded on my own merit, instead of grouped in with slackers when determing my market value.
Personally, I think everyone should be their own corporation so you can really control your own destiny.
FL is a right to work state and most jobs don't pay more than $10 an hour.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,583,938 times
Quote:

all the lazy people got the day off. well labor unions get ready to do some real work. Wisc.gots a new sheriff. thats what I have to say, about that !!!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 AM

29,920 posts, read 39,661,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
FL is a right to work state and most jobs don't pay more than $10 an hour.
That would be a median income of $20,800/year.

No one believes that. Well almost no one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies