Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM

4,592 posts, read 9,250,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Fair enough.

But I'm surprised that people aren't talking about the fact that free (very basic) cell phones are given out by many cell phone companies. Yes, they usually require a contract, but there has to be some cell phone company that will give you a phone and allow a pay as you go plan.
I've mentioned earlier how I was able to get a smartphone for free through AT&T, but that comes with a contract and a bill every month. So it was only semi-free. Now that I have read the article from the OP, they are talking about free everything- basic phone + 250 free minutes per month and a headset. I'm not aware of any phone company offering that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:55 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,536,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I've mentioned earlier how I was able to get a smartphone for free through AT&T, but that comes with a contract and a bill every month. So it was only semi-free. Now that I have read the article from the OP, they are talking about free everything- basic phone + 250 free minutes per month and a headset. I'm not aware of any phone company offering that.
Neither am I, but my point was that some posters have defended providing phones only for the purpose of these people using them to try to find jobs and also for emergency calls.

They don't need 250 minutes per month for that. A pay as you go plan would take care of that just fine.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:00 PM

47,140 posts, read 26,285,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Neither am I, but my point was that some posters have defended providing phones only for the purpose of these people using them to try to find jobs and also for emergency calls.

They don't need 250 minutes per month for that. A pay as you go plan would take care of that just fine.
For cell carriers, 250 minutes of voice traffic hardly raise beyond the background noise. It's trivial.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The whole country has gone to hell in a handbasket when we no longer have the I-can-do-it-myself attitude.
Ehm - subsidized phone service has been legislated since 1934. You don't really think that Cletus the slack-jawed yokel paid market price for Ma Bell to string cable all the way to his hovel in the Appalachians, did you?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:51 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,168,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - subsidized phone service has been legislated since 1934. You don't really think that Cletus the slack-jawed yokel paid market price for Ma Bell to string cable all the way to his hovel in the Appalachians, did you?
Thank you for proving the point... taxpayers have been paying and paying for government assisted programs forever.. is it helping to bring our poverty stricken individuals up? How's that working out? When and how much is enough? That's all I'm saying... My pockets have been open for 30+ years, but one of these days, someone is going to reach in and when they do they are going to pull out nothing but lint... or a bloody stump.. I just haven't reached that point yet..... but with each passing day and each person with their hand out and their, "I'm entitled" I get a little closer to that breaking point....

Old 12-17-2011, 02:51 PM

932 posts, read 1,184,124 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving the point... taxpayers have been paying and paying for government assisted programs forever.. is it helping to bring our poverty stricken individuals up? How's that working out? When and how much is enough? That's all I'm saying... My pockets have been open for 30+ years, but one of these days, someone is going to reach in and when they do they are going to pull out nothing but lint... or a bloody stump.. I just haven't reached that point yet..... but with each passing day and each person with their hand out and their, "I'm entitled" I get a little closer to that breaking point....

Perhaps you, along with many other posters in here who share similar thoughts should seek professional help, especially for the bolded part. Nobody is stealing your precious money dude, relax. Take a long walk or a couple of Xanax. Same goes for the the other angry sociopaths who post here regularly.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I can't suggest much except perhaps that you should endeavor to make more money, I suppose.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:58 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,330,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I can't suggest much except perhaps that you should endeavor to make more money, I suppose.
Or give up his/her luxurious phone service, since that's where the money comes from ... yes, I know. You've already attempted to inform on this subject. Kudos for the effort.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:12 PM

37,208 posts, read 42,474,902 times
Quote:
I guess you missed my point.. Life isn't fair. Nobody is given the right to a cell phone. Nobody has a right to a car. Nobody has a right to have material possessions..And most of all, nobody has a right to take something from one person to give it to another, it's theft any way you slice it (and yes, it does work in reverse as well)... Yes... it may make it more difficult to survive, but sometimes life's trials and tribulations make us stronger. We adapt. We love, we laugh, we survive. The whole country has gone to hell in a handbasket when we no longer have the I-can-do-it-myself attitude. Is our country next.. to be asking for assistance, or worse yet... taking from other countries to keep our own people supplied with cell phones and materialistic crap? Guess it's food for thought what will happen when even the top of the money chain is tapped out...
We aren't going to live in that world just to prove a point though.

Back to the phones, I figure a few cents worth of materials and a drip in the bucket of minutes the carries can deal with. They are bare bones, minutes only, a couple phone calls to the grandkids or other relative per month, the doctors office, or a company you do business with and those minutes are gone. Notice I didn't even mention job searching, not everyone who is poor is able to get a job. Text messaging is where it's at and these phones don't come with that. If you want to pay more to get it, or anything else besides the ability to talk to someone a couple times a month, you will be paying what everyone else does. It really is landline/lifeline equivelant and totally appropriate for the times, especially when landlines are becoming more rare and the cost to set them each time you move up is more.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:23 PM

33,012 posts, read 27,622,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Ever heard of going into McDonald's and using an outlet?

Libraries with free wifi now have tables equipped with multiple outlets for people to plug in their laptops.

Since electrical outlets are equal opportunity, they also accept cell phone chargers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies