Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 PM

59,138 posts, read 27,361,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
seems to me that neither side is willing to compromise and its Obama who is crying the hardest. Where is the plan from the left?
I like most Americans want the Fed to cut spending. Cuts now not in 4 years or 10.
The dema had control of the house and senate. They set records for spending.
When the rep. Had control they did their best to set a few records for spending also.
This is a bi-partisan issue.
I agree with the republicans. before we talk tax increases on anyone we better cut out the waste and cut spending.
How about a 2% tax increase on everyone and the money gained can only be applied to the debt?
We do this after cutting say 15 or 20% from the feds budget.
Where do we start?
Foreign aid.
Money to any sanctuary cities. If they wont help to enforce fed law then they dont need fed money.
Cut aid to any universities that give illegals scholarships. If they have money to waste on illegals they dont need fed money.
13 carrier battle groups? Do we really need them? lets shave that by 4. Billions saved.
There are so many obvious places to cut and save its disgusting.
Read the post about Sen. Tom Coburn and you will see many places where we can cut without raising any taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:12 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,960,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The single most important thing for Obama is raising taxes.

He increased spending by $4trillion and doesn't want give any of it up.
Well, if the single most important thing for Obama is raising taxes, he's doing a bad job at it. Obama has lowered taxes.

How do you arrive at your $4 trillion number, considering that two weeks before Obama was inaugurated, the CBO was already forecasting a $1.2 trillion deficit for 2009? Moreover, why do you attribute it all to spending when much of the deficit was caused by a huge falloff in tax revenue?

According to Politifacts:

Quote:
Obama inherited deficits from Bush administration
On Jan. 7, 2009, two weeks before Obama took office, the Congressional Budget Office reported that the deficit for fiscal year 2009 was projected to be $1.2 trillion. The 10-year projection was estimated to be about $3.1 trillion. So Obama's number was very close on the 2009 deficit -- he said $1.3 trillion

Old 07-24-2011, 02:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
The single most important thing for Obama is raising taxes.

He increased spending by $4trillion and doesn't want give any of it up.
I am sure that few of the progs here even know that the almost agreed settlement called for an increase of $800 billion in taxes but before the agreement could be solidified Obama requested $400 billion more. He actually wanted to spend that much more than the agreed upon amount. It was about that time that Boehner walked out the second time.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Read the post about Sen. Tom Coburn and you will see many places where we can cut without raising any taxes.
Nice try, but i fear you wasted the strength in your fingers speaking about that.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Well, if the single most important thing for Obama is raising taxes, he's doing a bad job at it. Obama has lowered taxes.

How do you arrive at your $4 trillion number, considering that two weeks before Obama was inaugurated, the CBO was already forecasting a $1.2 trillion deficit for 2009? Moreover, why do you attribute it all to spending when much of the deficit was caused by a huge falloff in tax revenue?

According to Politifacts:
Politifacts?? Isn't that the same bunch that won a Pulitzer the same year that Obama got his Nobel? Hmmmmmmm.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times
Quote:
Cutting spending at a time when unemployment is high further hurts employment. This is not a liberal idea. It's just economics.
Increasing taxes at a time when the economy is in shambles further hurts the economy. This is not a conservative idea. It's just COMMON SENSE.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:10 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,903,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It only makes the Republicans and the Tea Party look like idiots because they are unwilling to negotiate. They are the real losers in this fight for America's future
We're all losers for voting them in, but keep up the partisan rhetoric if you'd like. I can assure you none of this will matter in the coming weeks if a deal isn't reached.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Are you making fun of a man who worked his way up from broom pusher in small town Ohio to Speaker of The House in Washington DC?

A man who slept in a tiny room with 11 other siblings growing up?

A man who knows first hand what its really like to be dirt poor?
Oh, come on! That story is pure PR! He was working in the family business!

John Boehner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heck, my daughter had a job that required her to walk around a city park and pick up trash! Does that make her dirt poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
If you didn't get a tax break from that law then you are one of the people who pay no income taxes. I am not sure that people who pay no income taxes should be allowed to vote. I got a break and I sure am not above middle middle class.

I think that you have been taken in by Obama's desire for a class warfare. He doesn't give a damn about the middle class other than some money to redistribute and to talk about to push his class war.
I take advantage of every legal tax deduction I can, but I still pay income taxes. Logic fail.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:50 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,960,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Politifacts?? Isn't that the same bunch that won a Pulitzer the same year that Obama got his Nobel? Hmmmmmmm.
Translation: "I can't dispute the facts so my only weapon is to attack the source."

Old 07-24-2011, 04:18 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
Quote:
Yes, you were right. Obama was naive to think that the Republicans could be persuaded to leave partisanship and act in the best interest of the country.

Obama had many clues, starting with Mitch McConnell saying “the single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term President.” Mind you, not 'the single most important thing we want to achieve is getting America back to work' or 'the single most important thing we want to achieve is prosperity.'

No, for McConnell, the single most important thing he wants to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term President.

So, yes, Obama had faith that he could work with these partisans and he should have known better.
No worse a comment than they can no longer drive the car?
Go sit at the back of the bus?
Obama doesn't play well with others now does he...it was O.K. to lock them out of the HC debate behind Harry Reids door...now he has lost his majority and still won't compromise.ONE TERMER NEXT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies